Goth

metal_wrath

I dip my forefinger...
Mar 20, 2006
...in the watery blood
I was wondering if anyone would consider Opeth to be slightly goth. They are certainly gothic, by its true definition. And does anyone listen to goth or goth metal.

lol @ you. "Gothic," by it's TRUE definition, refers to architecture and structure, mainly of buildings and such. So by your reasoning, yes, opeth are totally gothic. :rolleyes: Now, is your last sentence supposed to be a question? How exactly do you listen to goth? I'm sure you can listen to goth metal as easily as listening to power metal or whatever else, but listening to "goth" sounds difficult.

Goth is not a thing that crosses my mind when I listen to Opeth. As Nexis said, by its true definition, possibly... Opeth do sometimes portray medieval themes, which could bring you back to gothic architecture.

Yes I do mean goth as in medieval slightly, and also dark themed. The word goth also does not only describe architecture and I dont think it is necessary to pick apart my post. Goth can mean Goth rock (Fields of the Nephilim, Sisters of Mercy), goth metal, and then there is electro goth and goth pop which I am not interested in.

There's definetly (why can I never learn to spell that word?) a monumental, medival element in the darker tracks suchas I dunno Deliverance, but that's not something I think about much.

I reckon the band have been called "goth" by people before, my brother is always being called it and he wears horrible brightly coloured shirts (he looks more like Weird Al than anything...) because it seems to be a stereotype for any "non bling swingin' chav" around here. So I'm sure Opeth have been called it before by ignorant people.

And I think its just their dark BMesque style that you are talking about. Most DM artists sing about death (duh) whereas Opeth used to be a lot more about journies, inner turmoil, natural imagery, all of which is "very gothic" by todays meaning of the word (and is also what a lot of BM bands sing about when not sacrificing things to satan and blaspheming against god :Smug: ...) so Opeth is thoughtful and emotional rather than gory and macho (like Cannibal Corpse for instance).

This could appeal to todays gothic culture, as they like to be seen as in touch with their emotions, like nature, and are usually into inner turmoil (nowadays usually whether they will make it to the mall before it closes or something epic like that... :rolleyes: ) and also supernatural stuff like ghosts (MA,YH and obviously GR now...) so there is a lot of stuff in the Opeth catalogue that I know "goths" would enjoy.

Did Opeth intend to appeal to "goths"?
No, not at all.
Do they appeal to "goths"?
Yep.

Oriion said:
just because something is dark doesn't mean it's gothic. try listening to their early albums and maybe you'll see that. hell, why do we have to put more labels?

He wasnt trying to label...he was just asking if we thought they were "slightly goth" ie have goth themes despite not being a primarily goth based band.

And yes, they do. True definition of goth themes doesnt just mean architecture :erk: as many other themes became associated with the architecture. Primarily dark, horrofic themes, death, supernatural, curses, cults. Many of these themes can be seen in opeth songs so i dont see how anyone can decide they dont have a goth element.

goth%20chair.jpg

Goth.

well, as vampyrouss rightly stated before, they're not gothic; they appeal to goths. now, all these themes you mentioned existed before 'gothic' became the trend it is today. I don't think there's any point in characterising them us goth just because they appeal to the certain culture.

Of course they appeal to lots of types of people too, more so than a lot of bands. For instance "insecure elitist proggers", "dark poets", and "solos are all that matters in life" types as well as countless others. Also "sarcastic english 20 somethings who love tea"... those were the days!

They are no more or less goth than any other metal band with dark imagery and poetic-style introspective lyrics. So yes, they would appeal to goths who like metal, but their music really can't be classified as goth.

fizz6207 said:
He wasnt trying to label...he was just asking if we thought they were "slightly goth" ie have goth themes despite not being a primarily goth based band.

And yes, they do. True definition of goth themes doesnt just mean architecture :erk: as many other themes became associated with the architecture. Primarily dark, horrofic themes, death, supernatural, curses, cults. Many of these themes can be seen in opeth songs so i dont see how anyone can decide they dont have a goth element.
some of you obviously don't get it.
Look in any dictionary made prior to say, 1990. Even definitions now barely touch upon anything aside from the historical meanings of the word.
Goth·ic Audio pronunciation of "gothic" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (gthk)
adj.

1. Of or relating to the Goths or their language.
2. Germanic; Teutonic.
2. Of or relating to the Middle Ages; medieval.
1. Of or relating to an architectural style prevalent in western Europe from the 12th through the 15th century and characterized by pointed arches, rib vaulting, and a developing emphasis on verticality and the impression of height.
2. Of or relating to an architectural style derived from medieval Gothic.
4. Of or relating to painting, sculpture, or other art forms prevalent in northern Europe from the 12th through the 15th century.
5. often gothic Of or relating to a style of fiction that emphasizes the grotesque, mysterious, and desolate.
6. gothic Barbarous; crude.

n.

1. The extinct East Germanic language of the Goths.
2. Gothic art or architecture.
3. often gothic Printing.
1. See black letter.
2. See sans serif.
4. A novel in a style emphasizing the grotesque, mysterious, and desolate.

Gothi·cal·ly adv.

Word History: The combination Gothic romance represents a union of two of the major influences in the development of European culture, the Roman Empire and the Germanic tribes that invaded it. The Roman origins of romance must be sought in the etymology of that word, but we can see clearly that Gothic is related to the name Goth used for one of those invading Germanic tribes. The word Gothic, first recorded in 1611 in a reference to the language of the Goths, was extended in sense in several ways, meaning “Germanic,” “medieval, not classical,” “barbarous,” and also an architectural style that was not Greek or Roman. Horace Walpole applied the word Gothic to his novel The Castle of Otranto, a Gothic Story (1765) in the sense “medieval, not classical.” From this novel filled with scenes of terror and gloom in a medieval setting descended a literary genre still popular today; from its subtitle descended the name for it.

gothic

adj 1: characteristic of the style of type commonly used for printing German [syn: Gothic] 2: of or relating to the language of the ancient Goths; "the Gothic Bible translation" [syn: Gothic] 3: of or relating to the Goths; "Gothic migrations" [syn: Gothic] 4: as if belonging to the Middle Ages; old-fashioned and unenlightened; "a medieval attitude toward dating" [syn: medieval, mediaeval] 5: characterized by gloom and mystery and the grotesque; "gothic novels like `Frankenstein'" n 1: extinct East Germanic language of the ancient Goths; the only surviving record being fragments of a 4th-century translation of the Bible by Bishop Ulfilas [syn: Gothic] 2: a heavy typeface in use from 15th to 18th centuries [syn: Gothic, black letter] 3: a style of architecture developed in northern France that spread throughout Europe between the 12th and 16th centuries; characterized by slender vertical piers and counterbalancing buttresses and by vaulting and pointed arches [syn: Gothic, Gothic architecture]

and he was trying to label them, as he asked if you would consider opeth to be "slightly goth;" ie, "would you label them as such."

so metal_wrath, fizz, you guys = owned.

gothic : of, relating to, or having the characteristics of a style of architecture developed in northern France and spreading through western Europe from the middle of the 12th century to the early 16th century that is characterized by the converging of weights and strains at isolated points upon slender vertical piers and counterbalancing buttresses and by pointed arches and vaulting.

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/gothic

1. A style of rock music that often evokes bleak, lugubrious imagery.
2. A performer or follower of this style of music.

Opeth do evoke bleak, lugubrious imagery (sometimes), and to some non-metal fans all "guitar music" is rock music. It depends how pedantic you want to be about these things.

The overall point is, stereotypes suck. Opeth bring together people of various stereotypes and some that aren't as stereotypical as well. Another reason they are ground breaking really.

Nexis said:
lol @ you. "Gothic," by it's TRUE definition, refers to architecture and structure, mainly of buildings and such. So by your reasoning, yes, opeth are totally gothic. :rolleyes: Now, is your last sentence supposed to be a question? How exactly do you listen to goth? I'm sure you can listen to goth metal as easily as listening to power metal or whatever else, but listening to "goth" sounds difficult.

Goth is a variety of music established in Britain in around 1979 in the wake of punk which had dominated British music since 77. Earliest popular goth bands are Joy Division and The Cure. It was really the first time key boards and electronic noises in particular had been used, outside of prog rock, to create atmosphere. In time it gave rise to 80's synth (Soft Cell, Depeche Mode) and thus new romaticism (Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet) and as people pushed in further (Gary Numan in particular) and crossed it with more experimental stuff (Throbbing Grislte for example) it gave rise to what we now call Industrial (Nine Inch Nails, Ministry). Ironically it was goth which gave rise to indie music as Joy Division were the first to sign to Tony Wilson's Factory Records, they were the first band ever to sign their record contract in blood! 'Factory' though giving rise to goth, went on to sign New Order (the band which was formed in the death of Ian Curtis, the lead singer Joy Division) and The Happy Mondays. 'The Mondays' were be the first band to form the core of the "Madchester" scene, thus allowing bands from the same area Oasis and Stone Roses. with these bands forming the start of the trend other "indie" bands such as The Verve and The Manic Street Preachers and Brit pop bands like Blur and Pulp were given lee way in to the British charts. Currently there a very few goth bands around, in truth the closest bands the what goth originally was are the like of Editors and The Bravery. The irony of metal being associated with goth is an interesting one, as these to scenes had nothing in common, other than the fact that they weren't punk. The only possible expliantion is that the "spooky" atmosphere of goth became associated with the occult themes which often dogged heavy metal, for instance Jimmy Page dabbling in the occult. So far as Goth metal goes, it's really (as the name implies) an amalgan of these two genres Typo Negative, Nightwish and the like are good examples of bands in this vein, however goth metal has some roots in early avante garde black metal such as Celtic Frost.

Hope you found that interesting and easy enough to read.