Goth

i was wearing an opeth shirt, and this ghetto kid was like...why do you listen to that punk rock?, and i just laughed because they are so dumb...i mean i can tell the difference between reggae and rap, but they cant tell the difference between punk and sweet ass music?...a little off topic but i saw vampyrouss' post about his brother with the colorful shirts so i said this lol

Powers said:
Goth is a variety of music established in Britain in around 1979 in the wake of punk which had dominated British music since 77. Earliest popular goth bands are Joy Division and The Cure. It was really the first time key boards and electronic noises in particular had been used, outside of prog rock, to create atmosphere. In time it gave rise to 80's synth (Soft Cell, Depeche Mode) and thus new romaticism (Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet) and as people pushed in further (Gary Numan in particular) and crossed it with more experimental stuff (Throbbing Grislte for example) it gave rise to what we now call Industrial (Nine Inch Nails, Ministry). Ironically it was goth which gave rise to indie music as Joy Division were the first to sign to Tony Wilson's Factory Records, they were the first band ever to sign their record contract in blood! 'Factory' though giving rise to goth, went on to sign New Order (the band which was formed in the death of Ian Curtis, the lead singer Joy Division) and The Happy Mondays. 'The Mondays' were be the first band to form the core of the "Madchester" scene, thus allowing bands from the same area Oasis and Stone Roses. with these bands forming the start of the trend other "indie" bands such as The Verve and The Manic Street Preachers and Brit pop bands like Blur and Pulp were given lee way in to the British charts. Currently there a very few goth bands around, in truth the closest bands the what goth originally was are the like of Editors and The Bravery. The irony of metal being associated with goth is an interesting one, as these to scenes had nothing in common, other than the fact that they weren't punk. The only possible expliantion is that the "spooky" atmosphere of goth became associated with the occult themes which often dogged heavy metal, for instance Jimmy Page dabbling in the occult. So far as Goth metal goes, it's really (as the name implies) an amalgan of these two genres Typo Negative, Nightwish and the like are good examples of bands in this vein, however goth metal has some roots in early avante garde black metal such as Celtic Frost.

Hope you found that interesting and easy enough to read.

you forgot bauhaus.

Led Opeth said:
i was wearing an opeth shirt, and this ghetto kid was like...why do you listen to that punk rock?, and i just laughed because they are so dumb...i mean i can tell the difference between reggae and rap, but they cant tell the difference between punk and sweet ass music?...a little off topic but i saw vampyrouss' post about his brother with the colorful shirts so i said this lol

:lol: I know! Its not like there is a lot to learn, even just learning the basic stereotypes would be an improvement: Pink Mohawks for punk, black baggy stuff and chains for nu metal, designer fringes for emo, black lipstick for goth etc...

If they can tell the difference between 50cent and Pdiddly then surely it isn't too much of a challenge! (Of course we know they just say stuff like that to wind people up anyway most of the time...)

But yeah, in my brothers case I think the evidence speaks for itself!
misc030.JPG

vampyrouss said:
:lol: I know! Its not like there is a lot to learn, even just learning the basic stereotypes would be an improvement: Pink Mohawks for punk, black baggy stuff and chains for nu metal, designer fringes for emo, black lipstick for goth etc...

If they can tell the difference between 50cent and Pdiddly then surely it isn't too much of a challenge! (Of course we know they just say stuff like that to wind people up anyway most of the time...)

But yeah, in my brothers case I think the evidence speaks for itself!
misc030.JPG
haha that shirts great!, and that other kid looks like this girl i know hahaha

vampyrouss said:
I reckon the band have been called "goth" by people before, my brother is always being called it and he wears horrible brightly coloured shirts (he looks more like Weird Al than anything...) because it seems to be a stereotype for any "non bling swingin' chav" around here. So I'm sure Opeth have been called it before by ignorant people.

And I think its just their dark BMesque style that you are talking about. Most DM artists sing about death (duh) whereas Opeth used to be a lot more about journies, inner turmoil, natural imagery, all of which is "very gothic" by todays meaning of the word (and is also what a lot of BM bands sing about when not sacrificing things to satan and blaspheming against god :Smug: ...) so Opeth is thoughtful and emotional rather than gory and macho (like Cannibal Corpse for instance).

This could appeal to todays gothic culture, as they like to be seen as in touch with their emotions, like nature, and are usually into inner turmoil (nowadays usually whether they will make it to the mall before it closes or something epic like that... :rolleyes: ) and also supernatural stuff like ghosts (MA,YH and obviously GR now...) so there is a lot of stuff in the Opeth catalogue that I know "goths" would enjoy.

Did Opeth intend to appeal to "goths"?
No, not at all.
Do they appeal to "goths"?
Yep.

I think that explains the situation very well. I'm glad you wrote an actual answer instead of some shit about architecture. You all know what was meant by the use of goth/gothic in this case!

Additional note: Their logo also fits into the modern gothic style.

I've never quite understood the labeling of music as goth. These days if you have a female singer in a rock or metal band, it's automatically labeled goth. I looked through a website for goth bands and I would guess that every 4 out of 5 bands had a female singer.

A whole generation of women bought into the "goth" fashion trend (or at least their version of) in the 90's of the back of the success of film such as "The Craft". Black eye make up, long finger nails, Long black coats and boots, my sister did when she was about 14. Now all these 14 year old girls (and some lads) have grown up, and some started forming bands. So rather than a person who listens to The Cure and Bauhaus, goths today are just people who wear a lot of long black clothes and make up, and probably listen really bad rock and metal. Sad really.

Some people think Linkin Park and Simple Plan are goth.

Truth.

P.S this discussion is gay.

These are people who think that metal (and thus nu metal and at a push even pop punk) has ties to goth, when in fact the ties between metal and goth (in terms of music) are so tiny they're almost negligable.

you should come to newyork and witness the abomination they call hot topic..lol, theres this island here in the city called staten island, and on it are a vile race of posers who think you have to dress in black, and do all that gawth shit to listen to metal...its really funny...sad but funny

ps. i say "gawth" just to further mock these losers lol

Led Opeth said:
you should come to newyork and witness the abomination they call hot topic..lol, theres this island here in the city called staten island, and on it are a vile race of posers who think you have to dress in black, and do all that gawth shit to listen to metal...its really funny...sad but funny

ps. i say "gawth" just to further mock these losers lol

My sister went to New York last year, she said it was beautiful. She will have just looked like a typical tourist. Up here in the north east UK we refer to them as Goffs. A geneation of kids who grew up listening to Papa Roach and Linkin Park as Moshers or "Sweatys" (trust me I was one) and never grew out of it. Now they're in their late teens and early 20's and still treat music like it should affect the way they dress and people they associate with. They just seem to me like the kind of people who will never have real jobs and will still be working in record shops and bars, or handing out flyers when they're 50.

basically anyone wearing black or dark clothing in general or having long hair or piercings is considered goth, and thus the music they sing or make is considered the same. i find that only people who listen to some sort of metal are smart in this world, other people = stupid

Darkhammer said:
i find that only people who listen to some sort of metal are smart in this world, other people = stupid

If your tongue isn't in your cheek with that comment then this forum's boots is going to be so far up your arse you'll be tasting leather and dog shit for weeks.

Better get that napalm resistant coat on.

Darkhammer said:
basically anyone wearing black or dark clothing in general or having long hair or piercings is considered goth, and thus the music they sing or make is considered the same.

This part is true though. But you have to understand that most chavs or whatever you want to call them do understand the differences in metal genres, even if only basically, and usually just say stuff like that because its annoying.

Not all of them obviously, some are going to be idiots whose instinct on seeing black clothing is to scream "gothic", but then we have Slayer fans in "our" metal world, so we can't really talk about metal fans and IQ if stereotypes are mentioned :rolleyes:

One day they will develop thumbs too :lol: