GREAT albums anyone?

_Transparent_

May 29, 2001
London, England
Visit site
so how many albums have you heard where all the songs on it are great, not GOOD, but GREAT/AWESOME/BRILLIANT, not one poor album, they seem to be a dying breed nowadays, oh and NO OPETH albums please, i think we can establish all the songs are great. oh and greatest hits aren't counted.

heres a few of the top of my head:

Radiohead - The Bends
Radiohead - Ok Computer
Katatonia - LFDGD
Katatonia - BMD
The Gathering - How To Measure A Planet
The Gathering - if_then_else
Stampin' Ground - Carved From Empty Words

hmn, more than i thought, anyway your turns :D

Good question...when i think about it, there arent many albums on which ALL of the songs are good...but here are some that come up to mind right now:

Estatic Fear - A Sombre Dance
Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle-Earth
Dream Theater - Scenes from a Memory
Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery
Children of Bodom - Hatebreeder
Edge of Sanity - Crimson :lol:

and of course, all Opeth albums.
there are probably some more...

Well, Opeth not withstanding...

At the Gates -- Slaughter of the Soul
Metallica -- Master of Puppets
Orphaned Land -- El Norra (only because I don't count the "interludes" as songs)

Wow, short list. Maybe I'm just too damn picky...

aww that's hard....

My Dying Bride - The Dreadful Hours
(but maybe that will change since it's so new and an album is only flawless if it doesn't get boring - and I can't say yet if it will pass this test of time)

Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
(great! I don't like the other NIN albums as much, though)

Katatonia - Tonight's Decision
(Although it's doesn't suit every occasion since it's one of the saddest albums I've ever heard... @Transparent, what album by Katatonia should I get next, I only have TD?)

Amon Amarth - The Crusher
(Melodic Death that kicks the shit outta In Flames & co.)

Metallica - Master Of Puppets
(The album that started my love for metal :))

btw, isn't Amity an EP?

Death - The sound of perseverance ( even painkiller was amazing )
Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery ( epic work from begining to end...truly a classic )
Carcass - Necroticism ( to this day i cannot find a single thing i do not love about that album beginning to end its amazing to me )
Cryptopsy - Whisper Supremacy ( again no low point you just get hooked for the whole cd )

I dont know most of the bands i love have amazing cds but almost any cd ive heard has a low point or a forgeteable area somewhere out of the top of my head this are the only ones where i could not find such a moment

The Great Southern Trenkill - Pantera

This album is so fucking awesome, the rage and hatred that Phil Anselmo displays is breathtaking and Dimebag does an outstanding job as always. :headbang:

Emperor -IX Equilibrium
Emperor- Prometheus
Vader-Litany
In Flames-Jester Race
Halford -Resurrection
Arch Enemy-Burning Bridges
Anathema-Judgement
Embraced-Within
Iron Maiden-Killers

Are a few that poped into my mind

John Frusciante - Niandra LaDes & Usually Just A T-Shirt

John Frusciante - Smile From The Streets You Hold

Theathre Of Tragedy - Velvet Darkness They Fear

sorry, i have to mention it,
Opeth - Orchid

Damn tough one, that...

At the risk of copying mindflesh, possibly Master of Puppets by Metallica, maybe The Downward Spiral by NIN, Demanufacture by Fear Factory is quite close, and also S&M by Metallica (not strictly a greatest hits album!).

Excluding Opeth is cheating, though.

What songs don't you like on S&M?

Ktulu with the orchestra was a classic. The best song of theirs I've ever heard live. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

ya that's one of the ones I like. But I don't like the version of master of puppets, for example, and I generally don't like what Metallica did after the Black Album

M&Ms would have been a grand failure if it would've been concieved as music. The initial proposal came from Michael Kamen, with a not-so-cleverly masked intention to financially support the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra. So, with a couple of notable exceptions (The Thing that Should Not Be comes to mind), most of the arrangements are weak, disjointed and just plain tasteless - but there was really no need to try hard, was there ? Plus with the progressively lazy attitude of the band, who have lost the feeling for music long ago - the result is one more entry in the list of failed metal+classikoid bastards, and a good handbook on "how NOT to do it".

D Mullholand

I've heard quite many,I'll list some here :)
  • ARCTURUS-La masquearde infernale (MASTERPIECE!)
  • Ved Buens Ende-Written in Waters
  • Ved buens ende-Those who caress the pale
  • In the woods...-ALL
  • At the gates-Terminal Spirit Disease
  • At the gates-Slaughter of the Soul
  • Lacrimosa-Satura
  • Enslaved-Vikinglir Veldi
  • Dark Tranquillity-The gallery
  • Dark Tranquillity-The mind's I
  • Skyclad-A burnt offering for the bone idol
  • Ulver-Bergtatt
  • Green Carnation-Journey to the end of night