Guitar Player's Thread

and use a heavier gauge string if you're going to go to D

It's not really necessary, it will feel kinda awkward at first, but I've even managed to play in C standard with a .011-.050 set of strings and made a cover of it. A .046 string in D shouldn't give you much problems at all.

And here's the cover of Death And The Healing if you wanna see it:

I'm the one with the Alexi-200:)

Last edited by a moderator:
@Wintersun vid... it's hard to tell what is the actual song and what's you guys playing... =/
It seems like you're hiding behind the actual song a bit much. Unless that is actually your playing that I'm hearing and it's only a drum and vocal backing track, but it doesn't seem like it.

:edit: I also love Frank Gambale. He's a sweep picking god, I really respect his picking hand ability.

^Actually, the volume of the song itself is turned wayy down, so you really hear what we're playing. I think you can pretty much tell from the fact that we had a noticable different tone than on the song itself.

@Wintersun vid... it's hard to tell what is the actual song and what's you guys playing... =/
It seems like you're hiding behind the actual song a bit much. Unless that is actually your playing that I'm hearing and it's only a drum and vocal backing track, but it doesn't seem like it.

seriously it was pretty fucking clear which tone was his

drop guitars are for fags, i use 11 in D or 13 in C

I use 10-52 in E-C#/Drop C

When I get the seven I'm saving towards I'll use 10-52+62 for A#

jesus, you're one of the people who uses 11-54s in drop d aren't you

Manly gauge. Used to have that. Now I have 12-58 I think. In Drop B or C standard on my six-string. It will for sure train your finger strength ;)

I got 10-46 and a 62 on my 7 string I think. Works like a charm in Drop A. A# or A standard tunings would require a bit heavier gauge though.

Manly gauge. Used to have that. Now I have 12-58 I think. In Drop B or C standard on my six-string. It will for sure train your finger strength ;)

I got 10-46 and a 62 on my 7 string I think. Works like a charm in Drop A. A# or A standard tunings would require a bit heavier gauge though.

Loomis and Broderick use a .70 on the low B string :O

Rythym wise yeah, but the lead guitar sounded pretty close to the actual song, but maybe that's because he played it well. I didn't notice too much difference in tone from the actual song as far as lead tone goes until the solo, and then it was easy to tell the difference of what was what. Otherwise, the rythym was the only thing that really stood out to me as different.

I use 10-52 in E-C#/Drop C

When I get the seven I'm saving towards I'll use 10-52+62 for A#

Im guessing you got a 24 scale guitar, in that case thats fucking wimpy.
I use 13-62 on C# on 24s and it works great. I have no idea if i could tune up to E (I think it would be possible with some stretching).
Srsly, thats thin. Even 56 is thin on soemthing around C on a 24.

I use 10-52 in Open C, and D standard tuning, 25.5" scale. Happy with it :)

Also use 11-50 flatwound chromes in E standard on the telecaster, derp.