Guitar Player's Thread

My RR is fuckkkkkkkkked!!

I posted here about a month or two ago about how I drilled inside my guitar to get the screws deeper so I could have a wider range of adjustment for the springs...well, the left screw fell out on Wednesday because the hole is too wide and it has nothing to hold onto...oh shit!!

Need to find a suitable filling substance to put in there that'll set hard and then re-do it, preferable with a screwdriver and not a power drill again...

^ I'm going to enter. I already have the song down, but the guitar won't stay in tune! I tuned the lowest string to Bb, whilst keeping the rest in standard Eb :lol:. I want to use the tremolo bar for the solo but looks like I wont because I need it to stay in tune so I blocked the bridge.

Mitch- There is putty stuff you can buy at the hardware store that will fill the hole and harden.

love that enthusiasm you spread you look totally not bored :lol:
anyway,
FRIES!FRIES!FRIES!

LOL I couldn't move too much because I had my foot propped up on a box to play in that position. That, and my room was a fucking mess with cables and cords :lol:

My RR is fuckkkkkkkkked!!

I posted here about a month or two ago about how I drilled inside my guitar to get the screws deeper so I could have a wider range of adjustment for the springs...well, the left screw fell out on Wednesday because the hole is too wide and it has nothing to hold onto...oh shit!!

Need to find a suitable filling substance to put in there that'll set hard and then re-do it, preferable with a screwdriver and not a power drill again...

instead of me writing long story this guy shows and explains it all very well.
i can also back it up from personal experience, one of my guitars had the same problem like yours.
good luck repairing it and don't forget to post a pic when its done!

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoFRAY_IShk
instead of me writing long story this guy shows and explains it all very well.
i can also back it up from personal experience, one of my guitars had the same problem like yours.
good luck repairing it and don't forget to post a pic when its done!

Wow cheers dude, wouldn't have thought of that. Might even have some of that wood glue in the house somewhere, so just need to find some suitable wood to fit it! Appreciate it.

hey Alex, how's that guitar with the wicked carving is doing?
hey Victor :)
unfortunately still hang disassembled naked on the wall right behind my back.
for all this time i didn't make up my mind about the finish for several reasons
1. didn't have time. i am doing my apprenticeship as draughtsman/working i even barely have time to play guitar/bass my self.
2. perhaps the reason of all reasons i didn't have money nor i will untill the end of this year. i happened to end up having a lil financial hole and this year goes completely on covering it up.
[rant]fucking money[/rant] !!!! destroys all of my plans....
was looking in to Anodizing and galvanizing metal as Finish idea.
still need to learn more about this. i am not so sure what will be the side effects of this, noise, what will happen to the surface, how strong it will turn out, how i am going to make it happen to wood with some metal powder or some how else etc.
the main plan is still on though, finish the body with oil and wax it up. the carving with very carefully applied thin layer of silver as base and the rest like shadows, corrosion, etc hand paint with brush.
was thinking about florescent paints as well but i think i will dismiss this idea.

few wanabe artsy pics of the current state
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3081466/7 string/555-2.jpeg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3081466/7 string/555-3.jpeg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3081466/7 string/555-6.jpeg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3081466/7 string/555-8.jpeg
about the baritone, i am working on custom case for it. i got a keyboards case and already cut the foam now all i need is some soft textile for it.

Wow cheers dude, wouldn't have thought of that. Might even have some of that wood glue in the house somewhere, so just need to find some suitable wood to fit it! Appreciate it.
sure man glad i could help :)

Your best bet is a wooden dowel.

If the hole is smaller than the dowel, drill the hole bigger so the dowel will fit.

Glue it in, let it dry, and re drill new pilot hole for the screw.

Hardest part is making sure everything your drill you drill striaght, as to not drill into the guitar were it shouldn't be drilled.

Your best bet is a wooden dowel.

If the hole is smaller than the dowel, drill the hole bigger so the dowel will fit.

Glue it in, let it dry, and re drill new pilot hole for the screw.

Hardest part is making sure everything your drill you drill striaght, as to not drill into the guitar were it shouldn't be drilled.

I don't really want to be picking up a drill at all...that's how I got in this mess in the first place. I tried to make the hole deeper because I couldn't adjust the springs enough to setup the action with a higher gauge of string, and I ended up snapping two drill bits and getting them stuck inside the guitar because I was doing it at an angle, which makes things very difficult...

If I could find a softish wood, then I'd rescrew it by hand to avoid buggering it up...

I don't really want to be picking up a drill at all...that's how I got in this mess in the first place. I tried to make the hole deeper because I couldn't adjust the springs enough to setup the action with a higher gauge of string, and I ended up snapping two drill bits and getting them stuck inside the guitar because I was doing it at an angle, which makes things very difficult...

If I could find a softish wood, then I'd rescrew it by hand to avoid buggering it up...

I just meant for the pilot hole(which will be a lot smaller than the actual srew) so that when you do put the screw in it has a starting point and will stay straight.

If you use a dowel like I suggested you can pre-drill your pilot hole before you put the dowel in the guitar w/ glue. That way the hole is already there and straight when you are ready to screw the claw back into the guitar.

I had this same problem with my old dean when I went to install a straplock system into it. A guy at a music shop near me told me to put toothpicks into the hole and then screw in the screw. It worked great and I never had any sort of problem with the screw moving.

The way it shows is correct for alternate picking.

I think what you are talking about would be starting on each string with a downstroke, which would be economy picking...well if you follow the pattern you have.

Hey guys,

I have a question about alternate picking.
I just realized I may not be alternate picking correctly.

That riff is an example :

alternatepicking.jpg

I should play it that way right ?
But instead of playing an upstroke on the 4th note (yellow on the tab) I play it with another downstroke which inverts the whole picking after.

My question : is that kind of picking normal or should I change it ?

It's ineffecient for strict alternate picking, but if you keep that technique, polish it and make the transition between strings really smooth, then you'll have a nice economy picking technique.

I thought strict alt picking was odd for many years so I got pretty efficient at economy picking, but now after learing strict alt picking it is more efficient and makes picking less of a thinking game. It will always be up, down, up, down....no matter what.

Look up some alt picking exercises from Paul Gilbert.....he has taught me many...MANY things that greatly improved my technique.