Guitar Player's Thread

hha, the song is just sloppy. I did not metronome any parts at all. Once I am done getting Overture 1928 down, I will post it.

I didn't mean the sloppyness of it, I just meant the way your fingers move. It looks to me like they come way too far off the fretboard when you're changing fret or string. Also, stuff like bending and vibrato make the biggest difference. But I guess it's not fair to judge on something if you say you didn't practise it. That's like me trying to play my way through all the Satriani songs I used to know 2.5 years ago.

Well if it were me, I'd just make sure to pay extra attention to how far my fingers were coming off the strings and then try to keep them as close as possible. I used to do that ever since the music teacher at my school told me too but then I started to copy Paul Gilbert's hand exactly so now my 2nd finger sticks out really far when I'm playing something like:

-4-6-7-

It causes problems when I'm trying to play ascending legato runs but I think it did help me to get into a certain frame of mind.

But yeah, just play chromatic exercises etc and just look at how far they're coming off and then try and keep em close. If you can keep them all in line, I'm sure you'll notice an improvement in the dexterity of your left hand.

Well if it were me, I'd just make sure to pay extra attention to how far my fingers were coming off the strings and then try to keep them as close as possible. I used to do that ever since the music teacher at my school told me too but then I started to copy Paul Gilbert's hand exactly so now my 2nd finger sticks out really far when I'm playing something like:

-4-6-7-

It causes problems when I'm trying to play ascending legato runs but I think it did help me to get into a certain frame of mind.

But yeah, just play chromatic exercises etc and just look at how far they're coming off and then try and keep em close. If you can keep them all in line, I'm sure you'll notice an improvement in the dexterity of your left hand.

Some people have the problem that when they're not playing with their pinky they do this kind of thing

2.jpg

Where the pinky is bent almost under the fretboard. But it looks like the fingers go further from the fretboard if you have longer fingers, compare Michael Romeo and Paul Gilbert for example.

I HAVE A PROBLEM:
im both handed.
so my right hand is just as good as my left.
and i cant strum in the right time as what im doing.
its really queer. but what can i do?

If both of your hands are as strong as each other then the problem you have isn't caused by your natural ability. You just need to practise strumming patterns.
I have to overcome to same problem. I am left handed but I feel more comfortable playing right handed guitar. That may just be because I never tried a left handed guitar when I first started playing however. It means that my strumming hand is naturally a lot weaker than my fretting hand.

Some people have the problem that when they're not playing with their pinky they do this kind of thing

2.jpg

Where the pinky is bent almost under the fretboard. But it looks like the fingers go further from the fretboard if you have longer fingers, compare Michael Romeo and Paul Gilbert for example.

Yeah I know. John Petrucci does it too. I've heard people call it "retarded pinky syndrome". :lol:

I don't have that problem though because I actually concentrated on doing the opposite when I was into Slipknot. I used to watch Mick Thompson's left hand and when he was playing, his pinky would stick out straight and I thought it looked cool so I copied him. Now, when I'm not using it, it just sits at the side. :cool:

If both of your hands are as strong as each other then the problem you have isn't caused by your natural ability. You just need to practise strumming patterns.
I have to overcome to same problem. I am left handed but I feel more comfortable playing right handed guitar. That may just be because I never tried a left handed guitar when I first started playing however. It means that my strumming hand is naturally a lot weaker than my fretting hand.

Yay for left-handers. :kickass:

ok you shut up

and yeah thats the only thing. :)
thanx
i'd be good at drums. but im poor and live in a small house so i wont practice.

I HAVE A PROBLEM:
im both handed.
so my right hand is just as good as my left.
and i cant strum in the right time as what im doing.
its really queer. but what can i do?

Alright....Your hands aren't coordinated. you need to use a metronome when playin EVERYTHING start very slow, work on scales, little exercises etc. if you start off slow then you know you can hit every note right? well if you do it a lot then your hand will just get used to it and you can coordinate your hands to move all over the fretboard to do speed picking runs etc. the same rule applies to sweep picking, you have to get your hands coordinated. i usually practice up with some Paul Gilbert techniques

^^^ awesome thanx. yeah i play with a metronome sometimes. i rush a lot. ill start from the basics :)

Yeah, that's where a lot of people get jipped up, starting slow! I know everyone wants to be like z0Mg 1m T3h N3w MaB 1 pLaY 458 BpS1! but if you play songs slowly with a metronome, then by the time you get up to speed you can land every note perfectly

-4-6-7-

But is it necessary for me to change my left hand technique? Because I feel really comfortable of how my fingers come off the strings, and it does not feel like I am doing anything wrong. I tried to keep them very close but it doesn't work, I got big hands.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPGA3vjMLgE
Also, it seems that my pinky does the very same thing as Gilbert's. It is high off the fretboard.