Guitar Player's Thread

Are you going for active pickups or what? No one can decide what kind of tone you want. If you want trebley, overall shitty tone, go with the EMG 81.

i want a tone like Mitch has here tho im sure that's not becuz of his puckups it's mostly becuz of the things he uses plus his guitar too. How about a set of EMG Hz 3?

Edit:

As far as my influences go Alexi, and Kirk H are my main ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea EMGs are pretty shitty pickups. You would do best to look into something else. I recommend trying an X2N before. They are passive, but they're really high output.

yeah, I always thought "meter" is another term for "time signature." For example, a song can in be 4/4, 3/4. 6/8 etc. That is what is meant by meter.

Same here.

should i buy an EMG 81 pickup for my RR3 jackson? i have right now Seymour Duncan humbucking pickups the ones that come with the guitar. I Saw it on ebay that's why and was interested. I'm not that much of an expert when it comes to pickups and just asking for some opinions from u guys who know their shit!
No EMG 81s are shit :lol:

85s are better imo, less trebley, a fatter sound.
Are you going for active pickups or what? No one can decide what kind of tone you want. If you want trebley, overall shitty tone, go with the EMG 81.

I supose you guys have finished bashing what you don't like, now someone who likes it might be able to give his opinion :rolleyes:

EMG 81 is not the best pickup in the world, but it doesn't by any means suck. It can have way too much gain for some stuff and may sound shit on the neck position, but on the bridge position and with not excessive gain (don't go for 10, something around 6 is enough) it sounds really cool. Of course don't forget to get some mids and don't go for a full set on bass.

That beeing said, 81 will be shit if you want a super distorted and bassy tone. But for a normal gain and with enough mids (COB, Death since Human (before the tone was fucking shit IMO), Sinergy, Metallica the first albums, ... stuff like that) it's a cool pickup IMO. But all my experience is in bridge position, so I can't talk about neck or that stuff. If you have found it cheap on eBay my advice is get it and get rid of the Duncan designed on your RR3 on the bridge. Dunno about neck tho, as I don't use neck p-ups (in fact my guitar doesn't even have one, and I don't use anymore the one on my Ibanez, :lol:).

Same here.

I supose you guys have finished bashing what you don't like, now someone who likes it might be able to give his opinion :rolleyes:

EMG 81 is not the best pickup in the world, but it doesn't by any means suck. It can have way too much gain for some stuff and may sound shit on the neck position, but on the bridge position and with not excessive gain (don't go for 10, something around 6 is enough) it sounds really cool. Of course don't forget to get some mids and don't go for a full set on bass.

That beeing said, 81 will be shit if you want a super distorted and bassy tone. But for a normal gain and with enough mids (COB, Death since Human (before the tone was fucking shit IMO), Sinergy, Metallica the first albums, ... stuff like that) it's a cool pickup IMO. But all my experience is in bridge position, so I can't talk about neck or that stuff. If you have found it cheap on eBay my advice is get it and get rid of the Duncan designed on your RR3 on the bridge. Dunno about neck tho, as I don't use neck p-ups (in fact my guitar doesn't even have one, and I don't use anymore the one on my Ibanez, :lol:).

I like my EMG 81 with the Randall. It can get some mud in the low end but overall its pretty tight and nice sounding now.

Devin Townsend use 81's, go listen to Strapping Young Lad and tell me that tone is shit.

Also, putting passives in a RR3 guitar is a waste of time and money, the wood is bollocks, and considering that passives get more of their tone from the wood than active goes, i would seriously get Actives for it. Blackouts, Livewires, EMG81/85

For EMG 85 sound in bridge, listen to Alestorm feks

Devin Townsend use 81's, go listen to Strapping Young Lad and tell me that tone is shit.

Also, putting passives in a RR3 guitar is a waste of time and money, the wood is bollocks, and considering that passives get more of their tone from the wood than active goes, i would seriously get Actives for it. Blackouts, Livewires, EMG81/85

For EMG 85 sound in bridge, listen to Alestorm feks

I'm starting to belive that the main reason for the 81 hatred and saying it's bassy and muddy and etc is that it's frequently used in the neck postition, which gets much more muddy and bassy than bridge. I think that cos I have it in bridge position and it can be everything but muddy or bassy.

I'm starting to belive that the main reason for the 81 hatred and saying it's bassy and muddy and etc is that it's frequently used in the neck postition, which gets much more muddy and bassy than bridge. I think that cos I have it in bridge position and it can be everything but muddy or bassy.

Or then its because of this guys uber shitty tone
16_r15871.jpg

...:lol::lol::lol:[/Lame]