Guitar Player's Thread

I just recorded a vid of The Mad Dash, the tab that I uploaded yesterday. I can do it fine at 130bpm but I tried to push it and hit 140bpm instead so there's a few bits where I fall out of time but I manage to get back in okay. I might try and practise it a bit and see if I can get it up to like 150/165bpm like the original, but god damn, it's hard!!!

http://www.sendspace.com/file/od5407

I'll re-record it if I manage to get a higher speed.

You weren't lying, it is hard to play at normal speed! :guh: Playing those string-skipped arpeggios at 165 is very difficult. You nailed it cleanly :headbang: Its kinda like lifting weights, gradually increase tempo.

Sorry to break the conversation, and this has probably been said before, but in a thread that moves pretty fast, I can't afford to go back and check other pages for answers if this has been asked before.
on average, how many hour(s) a day do you guys practice? Come after the exams, I'm gonna be playing 6 hours + a day, but now I'm lucky to play an hour a week ,although in normal term time I play around 90 minutes daily.

depends. sometimes depending on school and shit, 3-4 every other day. but i have to squeeze in gf time on the weekend, which basically means all of friday and saturday night, so my practice schedule is all fucked up. especially with finals closing in, i've got a lot of shit going on that interferes, however summer will be better. but i have a gig coming up so i better get my ass in gear or something :cry:

guh, i used to play hours and hours, all day... Now i just, i rarely sit down to "Practice" perse. I sit around the computer and i have about 4 guitars and a bass in arms reach, so whenever i feel like playing, i do, i use them for writing, and stuff like that. Sometimes i just impro. Though i dont sit with a metronome and do excersises for hours, though i hate myself for not doing that

who here actually does that? Sits around for hours practicing with a metronome? I don't think it's really worth that much effort because it's not helping your creativity, but just making you more like a machine. I mean, yes, I understand that that is how you build speed, but for so many hours in day? I don't think so :ill:

I agree. But doing it for HOURS a day is ridiculous. Recently I've changed up my practicing habits, and now I practice some PG exercises with a metronome for about 30min a day, and then I go onto practicing songs, and then I work on my own writing. I think that's a good balance. Rather than devoting all your time to a metronome.

well i definetly dont spend all my time doing it, i do it a lot though. i also do scales and sing to them as well. just to strenghtn my vocals for back up or something because bands always need backup singers etc. but im so happy with myself because im pulling off stuff that i never thought i could do even a month ago.

you have improved a lot. how long have you played now?

oh and for your video, it's really hard to hear your guitar. your computer just overpowers it.

It'll be 2 years for me in June. And that'll also be the anniversary of my Xiphos :):):)

I've never owned Crate...everything I have is Ibanez except for the pod xt. oh and my bass, which is yamaha.

I just recorded a vid of The Mad Dash, the tab that I uploaded yesterday. I can do it fine at 130bpm but I tried to push it and hit 140bpm instead so there's a few bits where I fall out of time but I manage to get back in okay. I might try and practise it a bit and see if I can get it up to like 150/165bpm like the original, but god damn, it's hard!!!

http://www.sendspace.com/file/od5407

I'll re-record it if I manage to get a higher speed.
that was great dude, impressive! made me want to start practicing again.

lawl.

new vid, intro to inferno by symphony x. learned today so whatev i was just messin round

i couldn't hear you well but from what i did manage to recognize you playing you did it well.

who here actually does that? Sits around for hours practicing with a metronome? I don't think it's really worth that much effort because it's not helping your creativity, but just making you more like a machine. I mean, yes, I understand that that is how you build speed, but for so many hours in day? I don't think so :ill:
metronome is very important at the beginning indeed for building speed but when you did that you should practice your creativity with it.
i don't mean to do it on top speed of your limits, i mean on any speed that you feel comfortable just force your self what ever you do and choose to do it right.
there is similar vid about this idea by paul gilber where he plays this muted notes as rhythm and add various melodies and riffs over that speed if i remember right he is talking there that it helped him to remain creative
i think this vid was even posted here once.

Thanks for that!

Tbh, it does sound quite similar to the GP-1000. It must be because you're running it through your practice amp, right?

there is similar vid about this idea by paul gilber where he plays this muted notes as rhythm and add various melodies and riffs over that speed if i remember right he is talking there that it helped him to remain creative
i think this vid was even posted here once.

His "new" way of practicing to help your phrasing. He mentions it at the end of IR2 and he has some video from either GW or some other magazine.