Guitar Player's Thread

I think it can sound pretty cool, just try some intervals and see what sounds good.

I made a sample from my song edge of despair, that has some different types of harmonies.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/utzafv

The second and third bar is what i was talking about, harmonizing with something else than 3rd's. I think it sounds cool. I wrote what the different intervals are on top of each bar on Guitar I. ( I hope i didn't get them wrong, or my attempt to sound all knowledgy is going to fail :lol: )
nice riff! and yeah, I can see how useful the harmony was there. Do you first think of the melody in your head before writing and then work it out on guitar? Or do you just jam for a while and stumble across it?

nice riff! and yeah, I can see how useful the harmony was there. Do you first think of the melody in your head before writing and then work it out on guitar? Or do you just jam for a while and stumble across it?

I think of the melody and then write it out in GP and then i try to actually play it :lol:

I don't think we're alone :eek: But once i have a chord progression or a riff, i just add some type of harmony by trying out different intervals and keep at it until i'm satisified.

sorry for the repetition but same here, haha. Except I feel like I'm never satisfied with the harmonies...I try the 4ths and 6ths first, cuz those are the ones I really like in classical music. Then I go on to the more generic 3rds and 5ths...but none seem to sound good on GP. I think I have to start recording both guitars now to see which harmonies I like, just for the sake of good writing.

but that would suck, I mean if you record some killer harmonies on your album, and then when you play live, and the fans are looking forward to that part, you can't reproduce it. It'd be a disappointment imo.

not only the player, but the type of music he/she writes as well. like I said above, harmonies turn out to be really good sometimes. and i guess for a one-guitar band, that's something you'd have to sacrifice. unless there's a keyboard player.

Well, there's no keyboard player, but there's a bass player, and although he's not Billy Sheehan he can manage pretty good the harmonies. A friend of mine recorded 6 vids of our gig last Saturday and will give them to me today. If the soun quality is not shit I'll upload them so you can check.

As I said, live I just have to rearrange the songs a bit (I transfer the harmonies to the bass and make som solos shorter/delete them and singer goes over), but studio will be two guitars at least this time, cos all the songs that we're recording were composed when we had 2 guitars (we were going to start recordings when the other player left), I'll just play them all myself. I like it, cos this way I'll make sure they're all played like they should, cos the other used to play some weird variations, :lol:

Although I must admit that I miss having a 2nd guitar, :lol: Specially during then solos, which is the reason why I'm cutting down them a lot nowadays, cos a long solo with just drums and bass as background in death/thrash is :erk:

Single guitar bands can actually be quite amazing, (Yngwie Malmsteen, Adagio, Kamelot, Firewind, and etc). Most of the past bands I've been in, I was the only guitarist in the band, and in some cases I had to do the lead vocals while being the only guitarist in the band. :lol:

It's extremely hard at first to have that much pressure, but after a while it gets easier. When I want to do harmonized parts, I just do it along with the keyboardist.

I'd to that keyboard thing if I had a keyboard player in my band, :lol:

Sorry to break the conversation, and this has probably been said before, but in a thread that moves pretty fast, I can't afford to go back and check other pages for answers if this has been asked before.
on average, how many hour(s) a day do you guys practice? Come after the exams, I'm gonna be playing 6 hours + a day, but now I'm lucky to play an hour a week ,although in normal term time I play around 90 minutes daily.

Usually, 3-4 with work and school. I used to play as much as 8-10 hours per day, but I don't have the time anymore. This summer though, I'll play way more. As long as you get 1-2 hours, I think you should be fine, imo.

sorry for the repetition but same here, haha. Except I feel like I'm never satisfied with the harmonies...I try the 4ths and 6ths first, cuz those are the ones I really like in classical music. Then I go on to the more generic 3rds and 5ths...but none seem to sound good on GP. I think I have to start recording both guitars now to see which harmonies I like, just for the sake of good writing.

The reason for this is that MIDI is just "one instrument", so basically, it plays it as chords, as opposed to two guitars, where its just two leads.

I recommend getting REAPER or any other recording software, and record Demos

Just hit the metronome and record the riff you want to harmonize, and play over it in harmony afterwards, so you can try all the different.. Before i wrote EVERYTHING in GP, but now i feel i have to interchange, and shit like that. I usually write the outline of the song, with drums, and load the drums in EZD, this way its easier to record guitars/bass and vocals.. Synths are just programmed, so ha.

Sorry to break the conversation, and this has probably been said before, but in a thread that moves pretty fast, I can't afford to go back and check other pages for answers if this has been asked before.
on average, how many hour(s) a day do you guys practice? Come after the exams, I'm gonna be playing 6 hours + a day, but now I'm lucky to play an hour a week ,although in normal term time I play around 90 minutes daily.

guh, i used to play hours and hours, all day... Now i just, i rarely sit down to "Practice" perse. I sit around the computer and i have about 4 guitars and a bass in arms reach, so whenever i feel like playing, i do, i use them for writing, and stuff like that. Sometimes i just impro. Though i dont sit with a metronome and do excersises for hours, though i hate myself for not doing that

I play more than what I should to get along with my subjects at uni, :lol:

guh, i used to play hours and hours, all day... Now i just, i rarely sit down to "Practice" perse. I sit around the computer and i have about 4 guitars and a bass in arms reach, so whenever i feel like playing, i do, i use them for writing, and stuff like that. Sometimes i just impro. Though i dont sit with a metronome and do excersises for hours, though i hate myself for not doing that

Same here, and also I hate myself cos I need it but I always end up playing some stuff and not practice with the metronome.

I just recorded a vid of The Mad Dash, the tab that I uploaded yesterday. I can do it fine at 130bpm but I tried to push it and hit 140bpm instead so there's a few bits where I fall out of time but I manage to get back in okay. I might try and practise it a bit and see if I can get it up to like 150/165bpm like the original, but god damn, it's hard!!!

http://www.sendspace.com/file/od5407

I'll re-record it if I manage to get a higher speed.

Well, there's no keyboard player, but there's a bass player, and although he's not Billy Sheehan he can manage pretty good the harmonies. A friend of mine recorded 6 vids of our gig last Saturday and will give them to me today. If the soun quality is not shit I'll upload them so you can check
I can't imagine that using the bass as a harmony would be the same really...but yeah, upload the videos, I'd love to see.

The reason for this is that MIDI is just "one instrument", so basically, it plays it as chords, as opposed to two guitars, where its just two leads.

I recommend getting REAPER or any other recording software, and record Demos

Just hit the metronome and record the riff you want to harmonize, and play over it in harmony afterwards, so you can try all the different.. Before i wrote EVERYTHING in GP, but now i feel i have to interchange, and shit like that. I usually write the outline of the song, with drums, and load the drums in EZD, this way its easier to record guitars/bass and vocals.. Synths are just programmed, so ha.
yeah, that's what I plan on doing. But I can only use Cubase now cuz Cool Edit Pro gives me problems on this computer.
I just recorded a vid of The Mad Dash, the tab that I uploaded yesterday. I can do it fine at 130bpm but I tried to push it and hit 140bpm instead so there's a few bits where I fall out of time but I manage to get back in okay. I might try and practise it a bit and see if I can get it up to like 150/165bpm like the original, but god damn, it's hard!!!

http://www.sendspace.com/file/od5407

I'll re-record it if I manage to get a higher speed.
lol, nice vid. but that synth thingy was a bit too loud and kinda annoying. good playing as usual.