Guitar Player's Thread

why do you guys have only one guitar in your band? I've always wondered if a one-guitar band could be really good. Actually I have problems writing for 2 guitars sometimes...like for the rhythm parts, I just make them play the same thing, don't really know what else to write for the 2nd guitar...

Paul did pretty well in Racer X and Mr. Big. I know it's 2/4 tracks on the albums but they sounded just as awesome live. I think it just depends on the player and the type of sound they go for. Putting two 4x12 speaker cabs on either side of the stage, both coming from one preamp, it'd sound pretty good.

^I think he was referring to mine, so...

because the other guitar player quit and there's no suitable guitar player in my shithole town, :lol: It's ruled by pop and punk music, and there are really few players. And the only one who could do it is sitting behind the drumset, :lol: And as finding drummer is even more difficult, he's not going out of there.

I do write two guitars for all the songs (mostly are or playing the same or just harmonies) and I will record 2 guitars, but for live playing I must fix them so it sounds good. Yesterday we played a gig and I think someone recorded vids, so if I can get some I'll post them here and you can see.
but that would suck, I mean if you record some killer harmonies on your album, and then when you play live, and the fans are looking forward to that part, you can't reproduce it. It'd be a disappointment imo.

Paul did pretty well in Racer X and Mr. Big. I know it's 2/4 tracks on the albums but they sounded just as awesome live. I think it just depends on the player and the type of sound they go for. Putting two 4x12 speaker cabs on either side of the stage, both coming from one preamp, it'd sound pretty good.

not only the player, but the type of music he/she writes as well. like I said above, harmonies turn out to be really good sometimes. and i guess for a one-guitar band, that's something you'd have to sacrifice. unless there's a keyboard player.

why do you guys have only one guitar in your band? I've always wondered if a one-guitar band could be really good. Actually I have problems writing for 2 guitars sometimes...like for the rhythm parts, I just make them play the same thing, don't really know what else to write for the 2nd guitar...

Unless you're Muhammed and write two completly different things for each guitar, you could just harmonize the rythm part. It might seem simple enough, but it adds alot! I started doing it because of Sinergy, and now i tend to do it as often as i can.

A cool thing i started doing with the two latest songs on my myspace, is to harmonize a chord. Have one guitar play a normal power chord (1 and 5) and the other playing either 1 and 3, or 3 and 7. Just play around with it in guitar pro.

Unless you're Muhammed and write two completly different things for each guitar, you could just harmonize the rythm part. It might seem simple enough, but it adds alot! I started doing it because of Sinergy, and now i tend to do it as often as i can.

A cool thing i started doing with the two latest songs on my myspace, is to harmonize a chord. Have one guitar play a normal power chord (1 and 5) and the other playing either 1 and 3, or 3 and 7. Just play around with it in guitar pro.

hmm...I've done that once, harmonizing the power chords I mean. it seems to get old pretty fast...but I'll take your advice and try it more often.

and I wonder what goes thru muhammed's mind when he's writing. I feel like he's really mathematical with his writing.

Anyone wanna try and see if they can handle the insanity of Spastic Ink's "The Mad Dash"?

I learnt it about 2 years ago when I discovered ROn and his band and I couldn't really do it that well. I printed off the pdf and I've written the top speeds above it. The highest I got was 100bpm and I can now play it at 140bpm with no practise. :zombie: The original is around 165.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/wbwd3g

hmm...I've done that once, harmonizing the power chords I mean. it seems to get old pretty fast...but I'll take your advice and try it more often.

I think it can sound pretty cool, just try some intervals and see what sounds good.

I made a sample from my song edge of despair, that has some different types of harmonies.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/utzafv

The second and third bar is what i was talking about, harmonizing with something else than 3rd's. I think it sounds cool. I wrote what the different intervals are on top of each bar on Guitar I. ( I hope i didn't get them wrong, or my attempt to sound all knowledgy is going to fail :lol: )

and I wonder what goes thru muhammed's mind when he's writing. I feel like he's really mathematical with his writing.

I agree. Although he doesn't seem like the theory kind of guy (like satriani for example).

Anyone wanna try and see if they can handle the insanity of Spastic Ink's "The Mad Dash"?

I learnt it about 2 years ago when I discovered ROn and his band and I couldn't really do it that well. I printed off the pdf and I've written the top speeds above it. The highest I got was 100bpm and I can now play it at 140bpm with no practise. :zombie: The original is around 165.

Spastic Ink is insane! :lol: That song seems like quite a workout. I reckon I could play that at normal speed, maybe not the whole thing continuously though :zombie:

I love the unique sound he has in his compositions! I would probably kill myself before i actually finished learning the whole thing. :(

Awesome! Looks just like the legato exercise that I need! Thanks! I'll be practicing this from now on!

Be careful, those diminished string skipping things really kill your left hand. :lol: Or at least, they kill mine. I'm not so good at legato so I pick more that what's indicated.

Sure. This explains everything.
1223d4acb8052f583fac3324d7524cec.png

Hahaha!! Actually I did this one a week ago in my digital signal processing subject.
The TFSD:headbang:

:D

Single guitar bands can actually be quite amazing, (Yngwie Malmsteen, Adagio, Kamelot, Firewind, and etc). Most of the past bands I've been in, I was the only guitarist in the band, and in some cases I had to do the lead vocals while being the only guitarist in the band. :lol:

It's extremely hard at first to have that much pressure, but after a while it gets easier. When I want to do harmonized parts, I just do it along with the keyboardist.