Guitar Player's Thread

I still have a 15W practice amp after 4-5 years of playing. I have no preamps either. Only pedal I have is a crybaby wah.

I had my first amp which was 60 watt Alesis Wildfire...it sucked because i couldnt get a clear tone. Then i sold it for basically the same price and got a Peavey 60 w studiopro which i still have. Much better amp and pretty good for room practise...a bit noisy tho. THen i got my Randall RH50Tube head because i needed something with more power on band practice.

I must be the person here who's played nearly the longest and has the worst amp. :lol: How many of you here have played for under 5 years and own one single piece of gear from a fucking John Petrucci master rig. :lol: 4X12 for a bedroom? Amp heads loud enough for Slayer? That is just insane.

Fair enough if you use them for live gigs though but my preamps are more than loud enough, I just need the rest to actually make them sound decent.

My 15W was loud enough for band practice, the volume wasn't a problem. It's just what you choose to spend your money on. Alot of my friends buy alot of clothes, and i just want to spend my money on something i use alot.

I must be the person here who's played nearly the longest and has the worst amp. :lol: How many of you here have played for under 5 years and own one single piece of gear from a fucking John Petrucci master rig. :lol: 4X12 for a bedroom? Amp heads loud enough for Slayer? That is just insane.

Fair enough if you use them for live gigs though but my preamps are more than loud enough, I just need the rest to actually make them sound decent.
Your preamps are loud enough for stadiums too :p, those preamps are like 100W aren't they?. There are plenty of half stacks that sound good at bedroom volumes. Some people even prefer them to using a digital modeller.

I got a 5150 recently. But I can't decide to go with a 4x12 or 2x12. The choice is between a 4x12 Framus Dragon cab and 2x12 Framus CS cab (Both are the exact same thing, with V30's) What would yous choose? I don't gig, and my gear won't be moved often. I just can't decide whether to sacrifice some utility for some bigness and fullness in sound. And obviously 4x12's look way cooler :p

Now all I need is a GP1000 or the GP1000 pedal when it comes out. Then I can slave the 5150 to power amp and I'll be able to recreate most of my favourite tones ever! (In Flames, Arch Enemy, CoB etc) Or at least get very close to them.

Besides myself, how many people in here actually play a lot of gigs and do shows a lot.. or even at all. Or even have a band to jam with? I always hear everyone in here talking about gear and everything else but playing shows/band experiences. Unless there is a whole band thread and I was too stupid to miss it. :loco:

I got a band...it's been a bit inactive lately because of other members school/other stuff but we are going to practice next weekend i think again. Then the drummer goes into military service so that means a 6 month break. I USED to have my randall at band practice but we got evicted from the bigger room and now have to play at a attic which is too small for that kind of equipment so i too my combo there instead. Kinda sad actually that i can't punish my Randall really fucking bad but when the drummer gets back we will get a new rehearsal spot somewhere and then i will bring my randall. Haven't gigged yet though because of incomplete lineup/lineup changes :erk: Now we have complete lineup with 2 guitarists,vocalist,bassist and a drummer so we will see next year when the drummer gets back what happens.:kickass:

Dunno why i really explained all that....:lol:

Ive done 3 songs for the school which we were forced to do. One of em was...

3 doors down - Kryptonite(I EVEN HAD A SOLO :lol: If you can call it that. I had playd for about 1 year or something:lol:)

Looking back at it i hate that song so much when i hear it nowadays.

Besides myself, how many people in here actually play a lot of gigs and do shows a lot.. or even at all. Or even have a band to jam with? I always hear everyone in here talking about gear and everything else but playing shows/band experiences. Unless there is a whole band thread and I was too stupid to miss it. :loco:

I did have a band. But after doing a few covers, and no shows, it turned out they wanted to make effing goth music. I did not want to. :lol:

So I've been playing my ass of, and getting together nice gear (used, so I did not have to spend all my money. I'm not that rich)
I have an Ibanez s540, and Laney VC50 with celestions in it. I'm also planning to get me some better tubes, because these are no name ones -,-.

I'm planning to get a band. I choose music in high school, and I need a bassist and a drummer. I can't really find one, because this town sucks. But I do have a singer, IDK if I'm going to sing myself. I plan on taking some singing lessons, because I recorded myself and I think it sounded alright :p .

A singing duo wouldn't be bad :p . But I have to play guitar also. I'd also like a keyboard player. Would open countless possibilities for my compositions.

All in all, I use so much time on my playing, and phrasing, and I have so many ideas, I couldn't stand not using this to anything but bedroom practice.

And seriously, I've only heard Warheart play, but if anyone else is a good as him, you NEED to start a band :rofl:.

IHow many of you here have played for under 5 years and own one single piece of gear from a fucking John Petrucci master rig. :lol: 4X12 for a bedroom? Amp heads loud enough for Slayer? That is just insane.

I've played for 4 years and have 5150 halfstack and 4 Jackson RRs. I am in a band and we've been gigginf regurarly since last December. Ok, had no gigs since February, but we'll have more confirmed soon. We're also playing on Metal Camp 2008 this year.

There's still 3-4 USA Jackson RRs that I want to buy before I'm done with buying guitar (one should be coming this summer...next in couple of years I hope). I would also like to own Lee Jackson GP1000&SP1000.

:lol::lol::lol: You definitely need a poweramp and a small cab.

I myself have a Randall half stack, but its exclusively for band shit, I have it at the reheashal place and I only take it out for recording/live playing. At home I used to play with my 15 W Academy but it's not working anymore so I just play through computer :D

yeah. my main band is like a "rock orchestra" and my guitar teacher is the "leader" (but he doesnt do all the solo's and that shit its all about us). we do like hard rock/blues/jazz stuff like that. and we write our own stuff as well as covers. and i have a lot of people that i jam with, some like metal like pantera and some like necrophagist. im trying to get a solid metal group going though.

oh, and my band and i have done 3 gigs so far, were trying to get like 90 minutes of material together before getting more. and i've played at every talent show since 7th grade

Question for those who play this lick:

----------12----------
--------12--15p12----
--14b16--------------
----------------------
----------------------
----------------------

(or in any other key/position)

Do you use your second or third finger to bend the G string?

Question for those who play this lick:

----------12----------
--------12--15p12----
--14b16--------------
----------------------
----------------------
----------------------

(or in any other key/position)

Do you use your second or third finger to bend the G string?

third finger, but i'd probably reinforce it with my 2nd so

people actually bend that with the 2nd finger? i figured that pretty much everyone would use the 3rd since its basically the perfect position to play that without moving your hand.

I ask because I was admiring this tasty Mark Knopfler lick from Sultans of Swing, and I was trying a few different fingerings.

----------7------9------- 7--------
-------7--7-8b10--br8(10)---8b10---
--7b9-------------------------------
------------------------------------

Just got me to thinking of how most people like to play that cliche rock lick.

I have a problem with the mounting stud on my floyd. It seems to be able to move up and down like there is no grip on the bpdy. It does not do this while i'm playing but it does do it when i take all the strings off? Any advice on how to solve the problem?
Cheers in advance

Hey Ben, I'm kinda confused on how to use amp impulses or even understanding what the heck they are. Could you type a brief explanation on how to use them? I wanted to ask this in the Sneap forum but I probably would have had my head chewed off by the experience producers in there!