Guitar Player's Thread

Sure. This explains everything.
1223d4acb8052f583fac3324d7524cec.png

Just kidding.

How an impulse is made:

You run a sweeping sine wave (20Hz-20KHz) from your computer's audio interface into the power section of your amp (effects return) or just a plain old power amp that's run to a cabinet.

You'll have your cabinet mic'd up in order to capture the sweep and send back it to the computer.

Okay, so now you can see that the only difference between creating an impulse response and just playing your guitar through an amp is that your guitar has been replaced by a sine wave generated by the computer.

So now that we have a wave file that's been run through the power amp and cabinet. At this point we process the file with a program called Voxengo Deconvolver (the one most windows users have). Deconvolver takes the new sine wave and subtracts it from the original sine wave. By way of the superposition principle, we are now left with the impulse response, which can be loaded into a free program called Voxengo Boogex to use as a cabinet simulator with a dry preamp track. The differences between a guitar signal run through an impulse versus a mic'd up amp is almost imperceptible.

Wow dude! Thanks for the quick response!
headbangemoticon.gif
I'm not interested in making them, as I already have some good ones from other sources. I'll try this out tomorrow :headbang:

>.<

When I open the Voxengo Boogex setup I get this window with strange code. The only thing I could understand was "This program must be run under Win32". :confused:

That would mean it's only compatible with a 32bit operating system. You're probably running on a 64bit system.

I've played for 4 years and have 5150 halfstack and 4 Jackson RRs. I am in a band and we've been gigginf regurarly since last December. Ok, had no gigs since February, but we'll have more confirmed soon. We're also playing on Metal Camp 2008 this year.

There's still 3-4 USA Jackson RRs that I want to buy before I'm done with buying guitar (one should be coming this summer...next in couple of years I hope). I would also like to own Lee Jackson GP1000&SP1000.

Your bands playing at metal camp huh? Whats your bands name, may check you guys out :)

I ask because I was admiring this tasty Mark Knopfler lick from Sultans of Swing, and I was trying a few different fingerings.

----------7------9------- 7--------
-------7--7-8b10--br8(10)---8b10---
--7b9-------------------------------
------------------------------------

Just got me to thinking of how most people like to play that cliche rock lick.
Good choice, and that is also one of my favourite songs!
It's sad that the most of people I know don't like Dire Straits... well, it's a matter of taste, I know.

A matter of bad taste IMO, :lol: Dire Straits rocks!

Your bands playing at metal camp huh? Whats your bands name, may check you guys out :)

Indeed.

Besides myself, how many people in here actually play a lot of gigs and do shows a lot.. or even at all. Or even have a band to jam with? I always hear everyone in here talking about gear and everything else but playing shows/band experiences. Unless there is a whole band thread and I was too stupid to miss it. :loco:

I have a band to jam with (we have 5 songs and the 6th in the works), yesterday we played our 5th gig (1st one as headliners if you can call it like that when you're playing in a <50 people pub :lol:) and we're currently recording our 1st demo, already done with drums and bass, but it's taking a bit long as we are studying and the one who is recording us has another job too, :erk:

&#9532;Victim of the Night&#9532;;7219831 said:
Good choice, and that is also one of my favourite songs!
It's sad that the most of people I know don't like Dire Straits... well, it's a matter of taste, I know.

Whaaat why not? Dire Straits rock!

Its' cool stuff, I would just get your live volume a bit louder, I couldn't hear your solo on the vid you have there, :lol: And maybe a bit more soloing, but BM is not know by having loads of soloing so I supose it's ok as it is, :lol: And sorry for this but I must ask: how much time does it take to get painted before the gig? I actually hate doing anything to my face and also I'm allergic to some kind of paintings, so I don't think I could play BM, :lol: BTW the sound quality was way better than the one in some more know BM bands, I liked it a lot (I hope we are able to get some kind of sound like that for our demo when everything is mixed and mastered).

About 10minutes I guess...and I hate doing. I'd prefer if we didn't corpsepaint...but because of other members I do it.

I think I'll need some boost or something in future for the lead work...there's not much of it though.

All guitars were recorded with my Peavey 5150 and a Mesa cab with V30's (hated the sound of it very much!!) with two mics...Shure SM57 and some other...don't know which one. Drums are computer made :lol:. Bass is through some effect and directly to the PC.

I don't have huge problems with lead sound, I just use the same and same volume as for rythm cos I'm the only guitar in my band and bass and drums don't go over my sound when soloing.

For recording we've already recorded drums and bass, and drums were done with mics (I think it was 1 for each tom, 1 for snare, 1 for bass drum and some more for cymballs) and bass into a preamp directly into computer. Guitars are waiting cos I got injuried and as it was going to be 2 months no playing and 1 month recovering, the dude took in another band and they're currently finishing their recordings, so in 2 or 3 weeks I'll start recording guitars I think, and I don't know what to do, if record with my Randall G3 series head (and a Randall cab with Celestion Custom 80's) micced with a Shure SM57 or directly into comp with my Korg AX1500G, cos we did some soundchecks with the head micced and I didn't like them.

Atm only thing we have is all the songs with drum and bass and some guide-guitars in some tracks, and one track with all guitars recorded at home by me and no vocals, :lol:

why do you guys have only one guitar in your band? I've always wondered if a one-guitar band could be really good. Actually I have problems writing for 2 guitars sometimes...like for the rhythm parts, I just make them play the same thing, don't really know what else to write for the 2nd guitar...

^I think he was referring to mine, so...

why do you guys have only one guitar in your band? I've always wondered if a one-guitar band could be really good. Actually I have problems writing for 2 guitars sometimes...like for the rhythm parts, I just make them play the same thing, don't really know what else to write for the 2nd guitar...

because the other guitar player quit and there's no suitable guitar player in my shithole town, :lol: It's ruled by pop and punk music, and there are really few players. And the only one who could do it is sitting behind the drumset, :lol: And as finding drummer is even more difficult, he's not going out of there.

I do write two guitars for all the songs (mostly are or playing the same or just harmonies) and I will record 2 guitars, but for live playing I must fix them so it sounds good. Yesterday we played a gig and I think someone recorded vids, so if I can get some I'll post them here and you can see.