Guitar Player's Thread

I agree. But doing it for HOURS a day is ridiculous. Recently I've changed up my practicing habits, and now I practice some PG exercises with a metronome for about 30min a day, and then I go onto practicing songs, and then I work on my own writing. I think that's a good balance. Rather than devoting all your time to a metronome.

I agree, have a cat
siamese-cat-facts.jpg

:)

that was great dude, impressive! made me want to start practicing again.

i couldn't hear you well but from what i did manage to recognize you playing you did it well.

metronome is very important at the beginning indeed for building speed but when you did that you should practice your creativity with it.
i don't mean to do it on top speed of your limits, i mean on any speed that you feel comfortable just force your self what ever you do and choose to do it right.
there is similar vid about this idea by paul gilber where he plays this muted notes as rhythm and add various melodies and riffs over that speed if i remember right he is talking there that it helped him to remain creative
i think this vid was even posted here once.

Do you mean this video?

[ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FCojcP_6AkI[/ame]

I'm a total n00b to GP, so how do you give a different metre for each bar? So for example bars 1- 3 are at 120, and I want to get bars 4-5 at 150, then 7 down to 60.
Oh and if it doesnt work, click on the URL

By metre I assume you mean tempo aye? If so, right click the bar you want to change and select mix table, then set to desired tempo. Every other bar after that will be at that tempo unless you repeat the process.

Pђoenix;7226282 said:
By metre I assume you mean tempo aye? If so, right click the bar you want to change and select mix table, then set to desired tempo. Every other bar after that will be at that tempo unless you repeat the process.

yeah man, thanks so much!
NB -Metre is the "proper" word for tempo :)

It wasn't bad, you play very clean, but it sounds like you messed up a couple of times.

hehe, neverrrrminddd :p

I thought you meant something else.

Thanks!

I sure am :eek: Glad you remembered!

Im at girlfriend's house now, i'll look at it tomorrow!

Ok dude, thanks!

speaking of which, how many of you guys have girlfriends? :lol:
Ill be the first to admit I do not :lol::lol::lol:

Neither do I, :lol: Well, I love my Jackson but I don't think she can feel so there's nothing to do there, :lol::lol::lol::lol:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C'mon guys, it's not rocket science.

:lol::lol:

who here actually does that? Sits around for hours practicing with a metronome? I don't think it's really worth that much effort because it's not helping your creativity, but just making you more like a machine. I mean, yes, I understand that that is how you build speed, but for so many hours in day? I don't think so :ill:

I agree. But doing it for HOURS a day is ridiculous. Recently I've changed up my practicing habits, and now I practice some PG exercises with a metronome for about 30min a day, and then I go onto practicing songs, and then I work on my own writing. I think that's a good balance. Rather than devoting all your time to a metronome.

Exactly.

Wiki Oysterhead said:
The Oysterhead tour of fall 2001 also saw the debut of the "Matterhorn," a bizarre-looking custom made guitar played by Trey Anastasio. The guitar featured full-size deer antlers that Trey manipulated to make sounds similar to that made by a theremin. The "Matterhorn" was as much a theatrical piece as it was a musical instrument, which was perfectly in step with the whimsical nature of the band.

I so want that!

Ugly but God I would so want to test it:

http://www.walfredo.com/trey_matterhorn.html

yeah man, thanks so much!
NB -Metre is the "proper" word for tempo :)

Wrong, Metre is defined as "Rhythm as given by division into parts of equal duration"

whereas tempo = "the speed at which a composition is to be played"

What you mean with "Metre", is probably what we refer to as note duration?

Wrong, Metre is defined as "Rhythm as given by division into parts of equal duration"

whereas tempo = "the speed at which a composition is to be played"

What you mean with "Metre", is probably what we refer to as note duration?

yeah, I always thought "meter" is another term for "time signature." For example, a song can in be 4/4, 3/4. 6/8 etc. That is what is meant by meter.

Hm,, yeah, i thought it was an other word for 16ths and 8ths and shit, but Time Signature makes more sense yes

should i buy an EMG 81 pickup for my RR3 jackson? i have right now Seymour Duncan humbucking pickups the ones that come with the guitar. I Saw it on ebay that's why and was interested. I'm not that much of an expert when it comes to pickups and just asking for some opinions from u guys who know their shit!