Guitar Player's Thread

Someone asked stuff about the Herman Li guitar some days ago...

http://ibanez.com/videos/HermanLi_EGEN.swf

AWESOME.jpg

his playing (Hermans) doesn't sound to bad there.

Guess it's because he isn't using the Laney (Laneys can sound good, or really crappy...his sounds crappy most of the time) and maybe because he isn't shitfaced.

I was thinking,what makes someone a good guitar player? Is it being able to play everything cleany? Playing things really fast? Knowing a lot of songs?

I think a great guitar player is someone that makes and plays stuff that YOU enjoy.

Playing cleanly means good technique.

Good guitarist is someone with a well balanced technique and capability to improvise,has developed own style and can write songs effectively. There is much you could add and a good guitarist is also a subjective point of view so nothing i said is fact. Just my own opinion.

Some dude talking to me about fenders:lol:

You wat u lose

Um, you need to get a fucking brain. I play metal just fine on my Fender. It's actually better than most 'metal' guitars, do to the fact they can handle heavier strings.

I play everything from Doom and Sludge metal to blues and rock on my strat.

If you don't think Fenders are good for anything other than blues, you need to learn how to set up a guitar, and how to play with your EQ and string gauges.

on january 31st im playing this in front of my entire school
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8E4cGkK2WI

dude fuck yeah, infermo and dillemma are the two best songs on that album though

im playing inferno by symphony x for my talent show :headbang:

Nick just shared this video with me. It's about Zakk's (failure of thread's) band ...they made it into the news! Looks like things are going pretty well for him :)
http://www.kptv.com/video/18169969/index.html

edit: Fuck I just realized this has been stickied :lol: whatever, it belongs in here anyway.

yeah its stickied but thank you :)

@zakk: Yeah, i got a Ibanez MTM2. The Schecter never came :( Seems Hellraisers in Black Cherry are getting hard to get. Probably during to massive demand. Instead i took the Ibanez and a Line 6 Toneport and a nice gigbag ;) Awesome guitar btw. How's things going for you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Playing cleanly means good technique.

Good guitarist is someone with a well balanced technique and capability to improvise,has developed own style and can write songs effectively. There is much you could add and a good guitarist is also a subjective point of view so nothing i said is fact. Just my own opinion.

Well for example everone knows Paul Gilbert is a great guitarist,and I don't disagree but why do we think he's good? I want to hear everyone's opinion so that I my self can see what it means to be good guitarist to a broad range of people so that I can better myself and be in a band that people actually like and hopefully I'll be able to make a career out of it.

Well for example everone knows Paul Gilbert is a great guitarist,and I don't disagree but why do we think he's good? I want to hear everyone's opinion so that I my self can see what it means to be good guitarist to a broad range of people so that I can better myself and be in a band that people actually like and hopefully I'll be able to make a career out of it.

Play for yourself and not someone else.

Which area are you wanting to get "better" in? Songwriting, technique, melodic control/expression, bandleading, reading/ear training, etc. Where would you like to see yourself in the future? You mentioned wanting to make a career out of guitar-playing, but that's a pretty broad statement.

I want to get better at songwriting,technique(playing moderately fast solos) and playing more tight/clean.
I want to be a guitarist in a touring band and I know 99% of you guys are better than me so I thought I'd ask.

yeah, I hate that "stuck" phase that we get into from time to time. honestly, just keep pushing yourself. one thing I've learned is that it is ALL about discipline (if you want to be a good player that is). you must practice over and over and over. and yes, that can take the fun out of it sometimes, but when you finally accomplished that hard riff or solo you've always wanted to play, it's COMPLETELY worth the effort you put it into it, and it's fun as hell when you can play it. So basically, what makes a good player? I would say it is discipline and practice. Fun is also an element, but it mainly comes after some hard work and patience. And this I think mostly applies for people who want to advance beyond just the power chords punk rock stuff (cuz that's easy and fun at the same time). But with metal, you gotta work a little harder to have fun. this, btw, I think is the basic element you should build from. later on comes the actual musicianship skills that you can actually apply now that you have the ability to do so (improvising, advanced songwriting, etc.)

and of course, learning theory early on is always is good :)