Guitar Player's Thread

I want to get better at songwriting,technique(playing moderately fast solos) and playing more tight/clean.
I want to be a guitarist in a touring band and I know 99% of you guys are better than me so I thought I'd ask.

1. Devote time each day to writing songs, even if it seems you've got nothing. Try going to different places (outdoor or indoor), writing at different times in the day, just simply break out of habit and do fresh things that stimulate your mind.
2. Practice slowly (most people don't practice anywhere near slowly enough) the kinds of riffs/solos you like. The guys at the UG Advanced Techniques forum: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=63 are extremely knowledgeable in the area of technique. And remember, speed is a byproduct of good technique. Don't try to overcome "speed barriers" but rather "technique barriers." Once you have solid technique at slow speed, you can play at fast speed and your technique won't fall apart.
3. Join a band (if you're not already in one), practice playing with other musicians, and play shows (whatever you can).

Have fun, and don't treat guitar-playing like a chore. Enjoying what you do makes it so much easier to excel in.

What exactly is music theory?

It starts with scales, intervals, chords, chord progressions, etc. Google is your friend here. And if you can, I'd recommend taking at least one basic class in this. I took AP Music Theory my senior year of high school and it's forever changed the way I view/think about music for the better.

knowing how scales work, how chords are built, what arpeggios are. It covers a wide range of stuff. Staring out with scales and modes would be good. Learn how a major scale is built and a minor scale. you will notice how they produce different moods.

I don't know how scales work and how they're built but I know how chords nd arpeggios are built I'm kind of working on that with my guitar teacher.

1. Devote time each day to writing songs, even if it seems you've got nothing. Try going to different places (outdoor or indoor), writing at different times in the day, just simply break out of habit and do fresh things that stimulate your mind.
2. Practice slowly (most people don't practice anywhere near slowly enough)

1. This I will try thanks :kickass:

2. Practise slowly first but keep building up the tempo in say 8bpm, only progress once you can play it flawlessly. To become faster you have to push yourself at high tempos which sometimes you will not be able to play clean. So then step back maybe 16 bpm.
tl;dr Push ourself but build up to it.

Well I guess my pirate song has now jump started another side project of mine..

Pirate Metal
alexpirate13.jpg

:lol:

his playing (Hermans) doesn't sound to bad there.

Guess it's because he isn't using the Laney (Laneys can sound good, or really crappy...his sounds crappy most of the time) and maybe because he isn't shitfaced.

Agreed.

Well for example everone knows Paul Gilbert is a great guitarist,and I don't disagree but why do we think he's good? I want to hear everyone's opinion so that I my self can see what it means to be good guitarist to a broad range of people so that I can better myself and be in a band that people actually like and hopefully I'll be able to make a career out of it.

Paul Gilbet is god! No seriously, I think Paul is both an excelent guitar player and an excelent musician. I don't exactly like his tone sometimes and sometimes it seems like he's playing not so clean, but if you listen to it you see he doesn't miss a note and that he plays quite cool stuff.

And his webpage is the best musician website ever :lol:

I took AP Music Theory my senior year of high school and it's forever changed the way I view/think about music for the better.

It made me realize how stupid most of music theory is and how to fall asleep on a music stand.

I don't know how scales work and how they're built but I know how chords nd arpeggios are built I'm kind of working on that with my guitar teacher.

If know how to build aps then you surely know scales. :lol:

Start taking lessons or something.

String gauges = metal. Bro.

yeah, I hate that "stuck" phase that we get into from time to time. honestly, just keep pushing yourself. one thing I've learned is that it is ALL about discipline (if you want to be a good player that is). you must practice over and over and over. and yes, that can take the fun out of it sometimes, but when you finally accomplished that hard riff or solo you've always wanted to play, it's COMPLETELY worth the effort you put it into it, and it's fun as hell when you can play it. So basically, what makes a good player? I would say it is discipline and practice. Fun is also an element, but it mainly comes after some hard work and patience. And this I think mostly applies for people who want to advance beyond just the power chords punk rock stuff (cuz that's easy and fun at the same time). But with metal, you gotta work a little harder to have fun. this, btw, I think is the basic element you should build from. later on comes the actual musicianship skills that you can actually apply now that you have the ability to do so (improvising, advanced songwriting, etc.)

and of course, learning theory early on is always is good :)

This.

Hey guys and gal (mystique:lol:)

What Carcass albums would you recommend?

I have been a big fan of Arch Enemy's stuff and I know Michael Amott played in carcass and everyone seems to dig them, I figured I should finally give them a listen.

I'm back at school now for another 3 weeks :mad:
I left my Marshall head at home so all i have here is my Peavey classic combo and if i play it at really low volumes it has this weird half-distorted/half-clean sound and its really pissing me off haha

I have been a big fan of Arch Enemy's stuff and I know Michael Amott played in carcass and everyone seems to dig them, I figured I should finally give them a listen.

I left my Marshall head at home so all i have here is my Peavey classic combo and if i play it at really low volumes it has this weird half-distorted/half-clean sound and its really pissing me off haha

Necrotism and Heartwork fer sure.

@Swabs, I don't like Lime, but the rest of it is cool

Heartwork hands down.

Arch Enemy owns still. They are releasing a new DVD and a CD with re-recorded old tracks from Stigmata,Black earth and burning bridges with Angela on vocals. Just a compilation album. That compilation album is actually worth getting!

For the modern stuff, i recommend Heartwork and Swansong ... if you like the really grind old stuff then the Reek of Putrefaction.

Necrotism is a album in between, and their best imo.

Maple fretboard horuses omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg <3

Anyway, I don't actually like this band, but I just thought I'd post them as the guitar work is alright and they're actually from my hometown :p One of my friends even auditioned for them and then said he wasn't interested, and now they're on Nuclear Blast :lol:

[ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dbGNfJM5wyw[/ame]

jesus chrrriiiisssttt im deciding between the MJR or a purple horus

Not the Loomis ?

Anyway, The maple fretboard and snow white finish totally steals my heart. Not to mention the 1 volume and pickup switcher setup totally kills. All the controls i would ever need need!!! And i got a fetish for white guitars.