Guitar Player's Thread

Maple fretboard horuses omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg <3

Anyway, I don't actually like this band, but I just thought I'd post them as the guitar work is alright and they're actually from my hometown :p One of my friends even auditioned for them and then said he wasn't interested, and now they're on Nuclear Blast :lol:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dbGNfJM5wyw
Dude, their guitarist josh middleton is freakin good.
here's his video for the Dean Shredder Contest:

Josh of Sylosis (the guy playing the AL) posts here at UM all the time.
really?? he's hot.

hey there guys and gal got something to recommend you.
i was messing lately with vst stuff and i came across this:

Dirthead free vst amp simulator plug in.
so far as i can tell it looks like and sounds like ENGL to me
http://www.ndzeit.org/guitar/dirthead.html
just load it in to your DAW (cubase, sonar, reaper etc)

really awesome impulses of ENGL, FRAMUS, MARSHALL, MESA cabs
http://www.guitarampmodeling.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2850
you need to register on this forum to see the download link its free.
in order to be able to use this impulses you will neeed another cool free plugin that you can find here:
http://habib.webhost.pl/_vst_keFIR.php

to install this plugins just copy the dll files in to your DAW's VST plugins directory and thats all, have fun with it.

oh by the way you need for this sound card with low latency that supports ASIO 2.0 in order to be able to use it in real time.

for more info about impulses etc look here:
http://www.guitarampmodeling.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=4042

http://www.guitarampmodeling.com/
this forum is in general great for everything concerns amp modelling and patches.
before askign there silly n00b questions just search and you will find everything.
thank you so much for sharing this with us! I just recently got Reaper cuz now Cubase is fucking up my computer every time it detects my pod. So once I become a little more familiar with reaper, I'll definitely try out that engl vst. thank you :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not saying I don't know scales I'm saying I don't how or why they work.

ok, I like theory so I'll try to start you off:

Major Scale (aka Ionian Mode) in the key of C:
notes: C - D - E - F - G - A - B - C
steps: whole, whole, half, whole, whole, whole, half

steps are the intervals in between the notes. a 'whole step' means that it is whole interval apart. it's helpful to look at a piano for this
keyb_w_staff2.gif

C to D is a whole step, whereas E to F is a half step or F to F# is a half step (some would call the half step a semi-tone).

so now, with this equation of w-w-h-w-w-w-h, you can build a major scale in any key. When building scales, the key would depend on the note that you're staring out with. So let's try to build a G major scale:

G-A-B-C-D-E-F#-G

see how G to A is a whole step, A to B is a whole step, B to C is a half step, etc. It follows the formula.
Similarly, all modes/scales have a certain "formula" they follow. For example, to build a minor scale (or the aeolian mode) you would use:
w-h-w-w-h-w-w
Hence, E minor would be: E-F#-G-A-B-C-D-E

Notice how the G major scale and the Emin scale share the exact same notes. This is because they are known as "relative" to each other. Every minor key shares a key signature with its relative major. And vice versa.

Looking at the circle of fifths would help you with this stuff:
Circle%20of%20Fifths%20wheel.gif

Sorry if that's a lot to read, but learning this stuff doesn't just come automatically :lol: you have to actually read and study a little.

^Twisha, you seem to have studied a lot since we talked about music theory last time (long ago I think). :kickass:

By the way (@the people who want to learn this), memorising the intervals (Wikipedia) takes not much time and is important to understand the big picture.

I'll take Twisha's stuff to step two:

Building Chords over the major scale she presented:

- Take the C-maj scale
C - D - E - F - G - A - B

- Now, stack one third over each root note and another one on top of this to get triad chords:

I. C/E/G
II. D/F/A
III. E/G/B
IV. F/A/C
V. G/B/D
VI. A/C/E
VII. B/D/F

=> You now have the basic triad chords on every step in the key of C-major. This means that they consist ONLY of notes of the C-Major scale.

However, how to you know if these chords are major or minor chords (apart from hearing)?
- Look at the structure:

Major chords work like this:
Root note/major third (containing 4 halftone steps)/minor third (containing 3 halftone steps)

Minor chords work like this:
Root note/minor third/major third

...so the order of the thirds in major and minor chords are inverted, making it easy to memorise.

- Now check in which order the thirds are placed in our triad chords in the key of C-Major:

I. C/E/G
root/major 3rd/minor third => The chord is C-Major

II. D/F/A
root/minor 3rd/major 3rd => The chord is D-Minor

III. E-minor
IV. F-major
V. G-major
VI. A-minor

VII. B/D/F
root/minor 3rd/minor 3rd WTF, two minor thirds?? => The chord is B diminished

Profit 1:
You now have seven chords in the key of C-Maj consisting of notes of the C-Major scale. The point is: You can write out a rhythm with these chords and play a solo with the c-major scale over it without sounding bad, it will fit (more or less).

Profit 2:

Memorise on what step a major or a minor chord lies:
I. major
II. minor
III. minor
IV. major
V. major
VI. minor
VII. dim.

It stays the same for every major key.
Example for G-Major:
G-A-B-C-D-E-F#

I. G-major
II. A-minor
III. B-minor
IV. C-major
V. D-major
VI. E-minor
VII. F#-dim.

....I bet noone will read all this :(

I read it :) That was a really good explanation. Learning the major/minor chords in a key is really helpful for songwriting. But honestly, I haven't learned anything new in music theory since like last year. I used to know so much more, but this stuff is just recollection for me.

And just to clarify something:
When Corny says
C/E/G
root/major 3rd/minor third => The chord is C-Major

that last minor third can also be looked upon as the major 5th, since really everything should be relative to the root note.
So C to E is a major 3rd
And C to G is a major 5th.

another example:
D/F/A
root/minor 3rd/major 3rd => The chord is D-Minor

D to F is a minor 3rd and D to A is a major 5th.

So upon contstructing triads, I think it's better to actually relate everything to the first (root) note.
root-major 3rd-major 5th
or
root-minor 3rd-major 5th

^I disagree partly on that one.

I think when you construct chords on the paper, it's important to know that they are stacked 3rds (a seventh chord is nothing more than a stacked 3rd aswell). Especially when you do inversions of the chords later, the 3rd thing is really important to understand the structure of the inversed chord. I think that's why all books I know explain chords the way I did.

BUT you are right, you have to know the root/3rd/5th point of view aswell, and when you memorize chord structures, should keep it in your mind. Especially because it clarifies that the ONLY difference between major and minor triads is the major/minor 3rd over the root. The frame (root/5th) always stays the same here.

So thanks for the helpful add. :)

haha thanks

hey wait what happened to your schecter you ordered? wtf?t

It never came (RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE). There seems to be a production stop/fail to meet demand on Schecter Black Cherry hellraisers. I got so pissed but in a way this was good. Now i got a premium gigbag,line 6 POD studio,straplocks and a Ibanez MTM2 and all that for a price that is less than the Hellraiser alone :zombie::lol: I will get a Schecter in the future probably when i got the money but this shit got all fucked because of the production problems they seem to have.

Ibanez bolt-on neck joints rawk.

I now got my pay for my course.

I want to order the MM-04 from bmusic.com.au to replace my EMG-PA2.

Is this win y/n?

i wonder if it'll be slightly better.

I now got my pay for my course.

I want to order the MM-04 from bmusic.com.au to replace my EMG-PA2.

Is this win y/n?

i wonder if it'll be slightly better.

From the clips Lowberg posted, I'm not even going to bother with the MM04, sounds like a simple gain boost.

This guy told me a good alternative to an onboard boost is the EMG SPC, he uses it on all his guitar which are all loaded with blackouts. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
From the clips Lowberg posted, I'm not even going to bother with the MM04, sounds like a simple gain boost.

This guy told me a good alternative to an onboard boost is the EMG SPC, he uses it on all his guitar which are all loaded with blackouts. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAuvKfmHW6o

Hm.. I wanted it for that EQ thing tho.

But I have an EQ pedal already, so I don't think it would be such a good idea getting the MM-04.

Yeah, just got it downloaded now, but since the EQ is always on on the MM-04 I can't really judge it.

Hm.. I wanted it for that EQ thing tho.

But I have an EQ pedal already, so I don't think it would be such a good idea getting the MM-04.

Yeah, just got it downloaded now, but since the EQ is always on on the MM-04 I can't really judge it.

What's your main amp?

If you simply need a boost, look into some pedals.

And rofl, the SPC isn't really an EQ thing. Just a gain boost + mid bump but Samhill (dude in the video) told me he can't really hear the mid boost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAuvKfmHW6o

Wow, why would you ruin a beautiful PRS like that with typical omgactivemetal pickups? I mean, I like active pickups 'n all, I've got the EMG 81 + 85 set myself. But PRS stock pickups actually sound awesome...