Guitar Player's Thread

Yeah, and back to guitars: how would a Jem work for thrash/death? I know that Muhamed has recorded Necrophagist things with one, but studio and live performances are not the same, and as the gaytarded 2nd guitar player of my band has left the band, sometimes I would need a neck p-up in my RR but don't wanna mess it up in a luthier and that stuff, so as one of my goals is getting a Jem, if it works ok for this kind of music I might accelerate the wait to get one, :lol:

My other choice would be the Xiphos (I know that there's a world of difference between both, but next Ibanez I own will be one of those), but I'm a bit afraid of the quality for live performances because of the price (700€ ~), so Mystique, have you tried yours in a band environement?? And could you tell me how do you like your p-ups for death/thrash sound? Thanks.

Why do you have to postpone it even more? :lol:

Just kidding, take your time, as long as Mitch gives you his permission, it's always fun to have more people in the jam.

I found this gal on MAB's pictures from NAMM. A gurl punk-shredder from Austin, Texas :lol:

http://www.myspace.com/flashbathory

Ah well factors have changed, so I'm posting mine seperatly. Apologies for delaying Mitch and the rest of you guys.

Yeah, and back to guitars: how would a Jem work for thrash/death? I know that Muhamed has recorded Necrophagist things with one, but studio and live performances are not the same, and as the gaytarded 2nd guitar player of my band has left the band, sometimes I would need a neck p-up in my RR but don't wanna mess it up in a luthier and that stuff, so as one of my goals is getting a Jem, if it works ok for this kind of music I might accelerate the wait to get one, :lol:

My other choice would be the Xiphos (I know that there's a world of difference between both, but next Ibanez I own will be one of those), but I'm a bit afraid of the quality for live performances because of the price (700€ ~), so Mystique, have you tried yours in a band environement?? And could you tell me how do you like your p-ups for death/thrash sound? Thanks.
Xiphos has Edge 3 right? The 700€ one atleast...IMO Edge 3 is very :erk: Atleast the ones i have tried.

Jari from Wintersun plays his Jem live :)

Jari from Wintersun plays his Jem live :)

Yeah, but Wintersun is really melodic/soloing stuff, and I'm asking for a more Slayer/Exodus/Obituary kind of thing. Of course Jems work brilliantly and they're great for melodic stuff and they sure could work, but dunno for harder stuff. I mean, if Muhamed recorded with Jem and then played with other guitars I don't think it was because of the looks, :lol:

The riffs in Wintersun are fucking brutal. Ie: Battle Against Time or Beautiful Death.

A Jem will work fine.

^Yeah i love wintersun tone too but he might be wanting something else. Or WTF! Its a really good tone with that guitar...you should try one atleast.

Afaik, Muhammed used it mainy to record solo stuff... Inhe and Mitch probably know better.

And the reputation of the Edge 3 is not very good. But consider that this is another point where people (especially younger ones) blow out their opinion via the net without actually playing it before.

So you have to try it out, there's no way out!

Maybe you guys and our thread-gals are interested in the band of Christian Muenzner and Hannes Grossmann (ex-Necrophagist), OBSCURA:
http://www.myspace.com/realmofobscura

I don't like them at all...

Hannes grossman is such a freaking machine, too bad no one can measure up to Muhammed's composition skills, i don't like them at all.

The Evo's are high output pickups, so that wouldn't be a problem. If it would actually be a problem you could change the bridge pickup to something with even more output.

The riffs in Wintersun are fucking brutal. Ie: Battle Against Time or Beautiful Death.

A Jem will work fine.

Battle against time is recorded with a Jackson Dinky and Beautiful death with a telecaster, but he does play with the Jem live, so ofcourse it works.

Afaik, Muhammed used it mainy to record solo stuff... Inhe and Mitch probably know better.

There's actually nothing more to it :lol: He just used them for the solos.

And the reputation of the Edge 3 is not very good. But consider that this is another point where people (especially younger ones) blow out their opinion via the net without actually playing it before.

So you have to try it out, there's no way out!

I would like to say that you are right but i have indeed tried them and hated them but i guess he will have to just try his way out :lol: There are worse ones but its not definetly of the better ones believe me...

i like obscura, its cool IMO. meh i really did not like anything the girl played, the playing was sorta good i suppose but the songwriting was so bad. and shes definetly not that amazing. those first sweeps the first song didnt go with the backing track at all, speed pickin was :erk: but you know whatever. other people would say ZOMG SH3 IS TAY B3ST! (for a girl) and i hate it when people say that. sure there arent that many good representations of girl "shredders" but it doesnt mean girls cant play fuckin guitar.

MEAT OF THE POST:

BARK AT THE MOON FULL COVER!!

alright i started learning this song 3 days ago so bear with my if i have any mistakes.
if anyone doesnt know...i'm 14 years old, been playing for 2 years. setup: alexi-600 straight into marshall valvestate 8240 w/ an mxr 10 band eq in the FX loop, its on the whole time. i tried to get a good jake. e. lee tone. god theres no covers of bark at the moon on youtube and every one thats on there is not played right or anything. i gotta throw this on there.

:headbang:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, but Wintersun is really melodic/soloing stuff, and I'm asking for a more Slayer/Exodus/Obituary kind of thing. Of course Jems work brilliantly and they're great for melodic stuff and they sure could work, but dunno for harder stuff. I mean, if Muhamed recorded with Jem and then played with other guitars I don't think it was because of the looks, :lol:

I'm pretty sure Christian of Necrophagist used to play a JEM at their live shows.

About Jems: does the Jem with mirror-like body have the light thing on the fret inlays like Vai's or it's just in Vai's guitar?

I would like to say that you are right but i have indeed tried them and hated them but i guess he will have to just try his way out :lol: There are worse ones but its not definetly of the better ones believe me...

I supose you're reffering to the tremolo. Well, I've got an EDGE III in my RG and for me it works fine (keeps the tuning pretty good for a 400€ guitar, I just need some small adjustments once a week, so it's not that bad). About trying stuff, my local stores are so :erk::erk::erk: that they don't bring that kind of guitars (Xiphos & Jem) so there's no way I can try.

Good progress in your playing, you seem to be getting better.

On a side note, every time you speak you reminded me of this...

200px-Neil_Goldman.jpg

:lol: