Guitar Player's Thread

Hello,
I need some advice for new amps+effects.
I love the Hatebreeder sound, so i aim to something similar. I won't get the Lee Jackson poweramps, i think that 20 years later you can obtain a good, similar distortion with other equipment. The other problem is that i am mostly a bedroom player, so i have to play at low volumes, and so no big amps, otherwise i don't have price limits, so i am open to suggestions.

What is your budget?

Also, what gear do you already have?

What is your budget?

Also, what gear do you already have?

budget from 500€ to 1000€ i do not need to buy everything yet so i can purchase something later this year. So it is not really a budget problem, however i do not want to spend to much for what is in fact a bedroom setup.

my gear is a 20w solidstate amp + zoom 2100 (from which i get the distortion+the effects) + ESP M-II with duncans

I would check out some of the blackstar stuff. The HT-5 is a great little amp for bedroom use, or if you want more the HT-20 combo sounds great as well.

Really all you would need with one of these amps is an overdrive and you will be in the metal range....if you are going for super distortion sounds you may have to buy a distortion pedal and run that through the clean channel of your amp.....Blackstar also makes really great distortion pedal that you might be able to use with your current amp.

Someone already posted this video, but it gives you an idea of what just the 5 watter can do with a boost pedal

Last edited by a moderator:
The Blackstar stuff seems good. But i wonder if a solid state 20w + a pod hd500 will do the thing. I do not rely heavily on effects but i like to use some delay, compression, eq and so on, so instead of start the infinite search for the right stompboxes (and the price will go up) i think that amp sim may do the thing.
What do you think?

Personally i don't really like amp sims. Only good one I have heard is Revalver, but I think thats more for recording on your computer.

If you like the amp sims then by all means get one. I just think there are better ways to go if you have the money.

Personally i don't really like amp sims. Only good one I have heard is Revalver, but I think thats more for recording on your computer.

If you like the amp sims then by all means get one. I just think there are better ways to go if you have the money.

I do not like amp sims over tube, but it is a matter of convenience, for 500€ which is not cheap you can get many things, and if i have to buy the same equipment in "tube" i will surely spend much more, albeit with a better quality of course. Furthermore there aren't many guitar shops in my area so i can't really try the equipment before i buy.
I see in your sign that you use a Bugera amp. Are you happy with it, can you get a good Bodom sound with your equipment?

So I bought a bass guitar off ebay for $56 (usd), third-hand bass, about 5 years old, with girl camo paintjob :lol: I wanted to buy a shitty guitar because I plan to make it into a Peter Steele tribute bass, and I didn't want to fuck with a guitar that already had a nice finish/paint job. I'm going to sand it down, apply wood primer, and paint it a flat/matte black. Gonna make all the hardware emerald green and use green tape for the fret markers. I'm basically polishing a turd, or at least spray painting it :D

Here it is currently:

n1dzjm.jpg

2ch50k0.jpg

Here is how it well hopefully look like when I'm done:

osb9qu.jpg

I couldn't find better quality pictures, but you get the idea.

I do not like amp sims over tube, but it is a matter of convenience, for 500€ which is not cheap you can get many things, and if i have to buy the same equipment in "tube" i will surely spend much more, albeit with a better quality of course. Furthermore there aren't many guitar shops in my area so i can't really try the equipment before i buy.
I see in your sign that you use a Bugera amp. Are you happy with it, can you get a good Bodom sound with your equipment?

I am happy with it for what it is. I mean the V22 is not high gain by any means, but with the boost and eq pedal its got enough balls to it. I mean I run it through a 4x12 cab so that deff helps. With the stock speaker its very vintage voiced. What I like best about that amp is it has a Mid boost button on it. I never turn it off..makes the amp sound Marshall like. You know, that mid range bite.

Now you could look into the higher gain Bugeras as they have tons of gain on tap. Go to you tube and look for a guy named Steppo, or something like that. he has CoB covers with a Bugera 333XL and he has a very good tone IMO.

Bugera and Blackstar and your best bet for high gain, low cost....just know they are made in China or Korea, so QC isn't always the best. Also, the Blackstar Co. was started by a few guys who left marshall, so if you are wanting a Marshall sound Blackstar might be the way to go.

No special gear is need to get a CoBish tone. Just good eq'ing. Lots of mids, decent amount of lows, and decent highs.

So I bought a bass guitar off ebay for $56 (usd), third-hand bass, about 5 years old, with girl camo paintjob :lol: I wanted to buy a shitty guitar because I plan to make it into a Peter Steele tribute bass, and I didn't want to fuck with a guitar that already had a nice finish/paint job. I'm going to sand it down, apply wood primer, and paint it a flat/matte black. Gonna make all the hardware emerald green and use green tape for the fret markers. I'm basically polishing a turd, or at least spray painting it :D

Here it is currently:

n1dzjm.jpg

2ch50k0.jpg

Here is how it well hopefully look like when I'm done:

osb9qu.jpg

I couldn't find better quality pictures, but you get the idea.

Nice tribute ! Also probably if I buy a bass, I will customize it like that :D

Well that sucks, I was supposed to be seeing them with Symphony X and Powerglove on May 17th :/ Shitty.

Also, I'm sure that alot of you aren't really huge fans of this band, but I keep coming back to this tone lately. I go through bands quite a bit, but I always manage to come back to these first couple albums and really like that tone they used to have :/

Last edited by a moderator:
On the Nevermore thing, a quote from Keith Merrow (instrumental prog metal musician who knows Loomis):

Truth be told, Jeff and Van left due to Warrel's alcohol problems. Warrel is diabetic, and they would find him (presumably dead) in the back of the tour bus on a regular basis. He'd get plastered and skip taking his meds, causing him to go into a diabetic coma. Jeff and Van didn't want to witness the one time he decided to go on a binge and not wake up again.

I don't care how great a band is, watching a long-time friend kill themselves and refuse to get help is a pretty good reason to walk imo. I think it's very sad.

Correction:

"15k for an ugly piece of shit???"

At least that one looks nice and will most likely sound nice too, PRS's are amazing.

Nice one lowberg!

here a tone test I made today with my Blackstar Ht-5 head
http://soundcloud.com/mxsled/nevermore3

Listened to it about 10 times. Are you really not kidding us and just put the song itself there? Dude it sounds like it's just the album version :ill:

Fuck!!!
http://www.msanthrope.com/blog/?p=1242
Jeff Loomis is no longer with Nevermore!

Sad to know, wonder what he'll do now...