Have you LOVED Opeth for more than two years?

Still a fan and been one since prob around 2003 or 2002 not sure. Recently wasnt listening to too much Opeth then news of a new cd and tour came and they have been in constant roto.

First listened to them in 2003 and brought morningrise and thought it was pretty decent.

Then in 2004 i had started listening to their later stuff and just became completely hooked. Theyve been my favourite band since although i do have phases where i dont listen to them at all but thats to be expected with any band really.

I've been a fan for over 5 years now, but always had a hard time liking them more than I liked Dream Theater. But for the past 2+ years I've just fallen in love with them. Just got a big O tattoo on my back this month :heh:

and dream theater nowadays sucks pretty hard , really hard!!!!!!! :rofl:

I have to agree. Their last good album was Scenes From A Memory, which also happened to be their best album.

I couldn't get into Six Degrees or Train of Thought. Sounded like they were trying to hard. After Octavarium, I quit buying their stuff.

Became a fan sometime between "Still Life" and "Blackwater Park" (one of the first songs I heard, if not the first, was "The Moor" and there was no turning back after that).

I remember registering on this forum when all the graphics were the "default" (I think it had some kind of guitar or something as the logo), then a few days later got changed to an Opeth design. I think I registered here not long before I saw them live for the first time as well (I think the same year they toured with Nevermore). It was so awesome to see these guys live.

For me I guess "Deliverance" and "Damnation" were an interesting experiment and I thought they were still pretty good, but I couldn't wait for the next normal release. Saying that, "Ghost Reveries" was a total letdown. I heard a track from "Watershed" tonight at a gig and it kinda got my hopes up a little. I still keep my ears open for new bands, but my main faves at the moment are probably Katatonia, NIN, and Tool, who have never disappointed since I got into them.

Been a fan for six years almost. Too bad the three albums after BWP disapponted me...the new one is interesting, but I've grown past Opeth.

I'll still defend them from elitist shitheads, though. They've got a decent thing going. There'll never be another Morningrise. But whatever.

Anything that Mike does is good. So it's no surprise that Opeth has kept my interest for over six years. I really would love for him and Portnoy + Wilson together for something. Since half of that group is on tour together, hopefully they can write some stuff up.

The first Opeth song I heard was a non-Opeth song called "Remember Tomorrow". This was back in '98-'99(?). After that, ordered MR from Full Moon Productions mail order. Then got MAYH and was hooked for a while. Got out of it for a little, then bought Still Life about 4-5 years ago and haven't stopped since. Surprisingly enough, the last album in my collection (after all the others) was Orchid.

Yes, I've loved them for way more than 2 years. Still haven't seen them live thoug.:(

I got into Opeth back when they were touring the states with Nevermore in '02. They've been my favourite band ever since, even though I lost interest in following them so closely sometime after GR was released. As usual though, the new album has re-sparked my interest, and I'm always astonished as to how the band can reinvent themselves enough on each release to draw me back in. I don't think I'll ever be quite the rabid fanboy I once was (my job kind of prevents it) but that doesn't mean the band have stopped releasing quality music.

I do see the cycle you're speaking of though. A lot of the old guard on here left ages ago. Many got fed up with the newer fans, and used Opeth as a gateway to other, less accessible music. I went through a phase of distancing myself from Opeth, but certainly didn't believe I was 'beyond' them in any way, as some of the more pretentious assholes seem to think once they get bored of Opeth.... and let's face it, when you can recall every nuance of every song in their whole discrography, why wouldn't you eventually get bored? It's amazing that Opeth can enthrall people for so long, and then come back to do it again with each new album.

I got into Opeth back when they were touring the states with Nevermore in '02. They've been my favourite band ever since, even though I lost interest in following them so closely sometime after GR was released. As usual though, the new album has re-sparked my interest, and I'm always astonished as to how the band can reinvent themselves enough on each release to draw me back in. I don't think I'll ever be quite the rabid fanboy I once was (my job kind of prevents it) but that doesn't mean the band have stopped releasing quality music.

I do see the cycle you're speaking of though. A lot of the old guard on here left ages ago. Many got fed up with the newer fans, and used Opeth as a gateway to other, less accessible music. I went through a phase of distancing myself from Opeth, but certainly didn't believe I was 'beyond' them in any way, as some of the more pretentious assholes seem to think once they get bored of Opeth.... and let's face it, when you can recall every nuance of every song in their whole discrography, why wouldn't you eventually get bored? It's amazing that Opeth can enthrall people for so long, and then come back to do it again with each new album.

Yeah, I remember you of course, weren't you the mod on here for a while?

Lots of people didn't like Deliverance, but that'll always be my favourite Opeth album.
Ghost Reveries is just ruined by the keyboards for me. I find it almost unlistenable because of those annoying keyboards. They totally detract from the riffs in an incredibly annoying way.
Keyboards are fine as colour, during quieter moments but during a massive riff, acting like another guitar? No. It's all wrong.

Yeah, I remember you of course, weren't you the mod on here for a while?

Lots of people didn't like Deliverance, but that'll always be my favourite Opeth album.
Ghost Reveries is just ruined by the keyboards for me. I find it almost unlistenable because of those annoying keyboards. They totally detract from the riffs in an incredibly annoying way.
Keyboards are fine as colour, during quieter moments but during a massive riff, acting like another guitar? No. It's all wrong.

exactly. one of the major problems with GR is the keys

Nah, the keys just add to it. They're definitely controlled, which is good. I think the keys are a good addition, as long as they're tasteful and used only when necessary. GR was done very well.

Actually I don't think the keys have ever really been used well on an Opeth album since Damnation. It's kind of why I was so surprised about the oboe on Porcelain Heart working so well. It's a more out there idea than using a mellotron or hammond. Most of the time the keys detract from the music rather than complementing it all that well IMO.

Nah, the keys just add to it. They're definitely controlled, which is good. I think the keys are a good addition, as long as they're tasteful and used only when necessary. GR was done very well.

aside from adding to what moonlapse said, the keys are used like another guitar on GR, they're never used sparsely, and not very tastefully either.

keys were definitely a great addition to opeth, but watershed will be the showcase for this, not GR.

I got into Opeth when Morningrise was their current record. I had to pay a fortune to import My Arms, Your Hearse into the States when it released. Opeth is still in my top 3-4 favorite bands of all times. I do get bored with this forum though. Hence the limited amount of posts since my start date!