Home built guitar number 2, a bit of progress

I may end up going with obscure model numbers instead of names.

nobody did just 1, 2, 3, 4...... afaik :lol:

on the mythology: personally i like it, but it´s also very popular these days (although i have not seen greek names yet).
imo you would have to go into a more/deeper occult direction to make things interesting.

if you stay "greek" consider Eris :)

*fnord*

You could get a Gibson; they're pretty bad these days ;).

Ba-tum-tish! And the boy gets a cigar...

Mythological names would rock as long as you don't use the obvious ones (Zeus, Aphrodite, Thor, etc.) Usually [smart] people think it's a gimmick and you REALLY want to avoid that with these kinda axes. But I'm preaching to the choir here.

nobody did just 1, 2, 3, 4...... afaik :lol:

on the mythology: personally i like it, but it´s also very popular these days (although i have not seen greek names yet).
imo you would have to go into a more/deeper occult direction to make things interesting.

if you stay "greek" consider Eris :)

*fnord*

I'd go for a greek mythology named instrument, it would tie in with my bands name.

+1,000,000,000

I had asked him about doing a Hetfield (Lawrence) Explorer copy a while back and now I think I'd rather spend the dough on a much more original axe that is also gorgeous.

~006

The area within the circle looks thinner to me than the rest, and I was just curious what your reasoning for that was.

I'm doing some finish sanding and I realized that I didn't really have the volute rounded out all the way yet. In that pic the neck is actually thicker within about 1 inch of the volute because it's sloped instead of rounded out.

I knew it wasn't thinner anywhere, but looking back at the pic now I can see a taper because I know it's there. It makes it look like the area beside it is thinner. Good eye.

Hahhhaha, vindicated!! :lol: Thank you kindly, I knew something was up - and especially now that it's carved, its looking absolutely stunning man! What were your carving apparati?

I remove most of the material with an angle grinder using a sanding disc with an agressive grit. From there I smooth and shape it with a random orbit sander and alot of hand sanding.

Haven't yet posted a shot of the whole guitar:

100_1754Large.jpg

100_1757Large.jpg

I had to fill a few voids that showed up in the wood as I was carving, nothing noticable now, and I'm sanded to 320 grit in these pictures. Now I'm waiting for the hardware to come in so I can finish this thing!

Like your other guitar, I find the upper horn to be too big, but christ, besides that, it's an absolute work of art! What color hardware are you gonna stick on it? And what pickups? Oh well, I guess I could just wait and see, but I'm impatient dammit! :D

Like your other guitar, I find the upper horn to be too big, but christ, besides that, it's an absolute work of art! What color hardware are you gonna stick on it? And what pickups? Oh well, I guess I could just wait and see, but I'm impatient dammit! :D

I haven't decided on the pickups yet, but it's getting black hardware. Except for the pickup rings - I'm making some out of zebrawood.

And I am a big fan of an extended upper horn. I suppose it's not for everybody. It does make the guitar hang and balance really well too.

name the models after something obscure. numbers, like was said above, get mixed up real quickly. go for something that you think would work... nothing gimmicky like "warlock" or "warrior". That shit's gay.

if I think of something, Ill let you know.

My last name is Stinnett, so I may end up calling these "Stinnett Guitars" and simply numbering them sequentially. So if you have one - you just have Stinnett #5, or Stinnett #27, etc.
I'm convinced that any name I come up with, some people will think it's silly or pretentious. I guess I want to steer clear of that.

Also, every cool name I've thought of seems to be already taken by somebody else's guitar.....