Honestly, this forum should get rid of this rule

It's just rather sad that what use to be my favorite forum is now such a borefest. Anyway, you don't have to agree with me, I'm not trying to convince you or anything...I just think that this forum could be a lot more stimulating without this rule, that's all.

I totally agree with you but it's not like this rule has been strictly enforced recently at all. I see plenty of non-Opeth topics on the first page that haven't been deleted or moved or anything. So I don't really see the point of this thread. To me it seems that nowadays slightly off topic things are generally tolerated as long as they are atleast vaguely related to Opeth (like, about music). Which is what I would like to see most really. Just music discussion by Opeth fans (especially the ones that have moved beyond Opeth and might have interesting recommendations).

Deadlift said:
There`s a "chat" forum if you want to tell us about your girlfriend.

People here are "united" by this one word: Opeth. I don't know, members should share somekind of "connivance" as a whole. General chats forum usually don't share such a thing because there's no unifying factor. Don't get me wrong, I like to talk about Opeth, but being stricly limited to opeth related discussions make this forum stagnant and redundant. Btw, I'm not aware of any other band forums which endorse such a rule.

CAIRATH said:
I totally agree with you but it's not like this rule has been strictly enforced recently at all. I see plenty of non-Opeth topics on the first page that haven't been deleted or moved or anything. So I don't really see the point of this thread. To me it seems that nowadays slightly off topic things are generally tolerated as long as they are atleast vaguely related to Opeth (like, about music). Which is what I would like to see most really. Just music discussion by Opeth fans (especially the ones that have moved beyond Opeth and might have interesting recommendations).

But come on, tell me that this board is more interesting than what is was 3 years ago, with the off-topic sub-forum and all.

Sadguru said:
But come on, tell me that this board is more interesting than what is was 3 years ago, with the off-topic sub-forum and all.

That's only partially the reason though. Like I said, the offtopic rules don't seem to be enforced as strictly anymore as they have been before so no one is forcing everyone to keep making "Wutz ur favourite Opeth album?!?" polls. There are just too many people on this forum with an incessant need to start polls about every tiny stupid thing that no one in their right mind would care about. And I really do wonder how many of those people who start poll after poll really go "Hmm, that's interesting!" at the end of it. I bet pretty much none. Most polls seem more in the vein of "I want to give my opinion about something but making a thread that says 'I like album X better than album Y' would be dumb so I'll just formulate it as a question".

I didn't think the offtopic forum was a very good idea either. I certainly never read it much myself. Ideally a forum should have a good mix of ontopic stuff to keep people interested in the band happy but also enough freedom and offtopic talk to keep regulars around. The latter has been a problem in the past with a lot of regulars probably migrating to other UM forums or SOT or wherever they all went.

This forum is far from perfect but it's been a lot worse. If people could just lay off the Opeth fanboyism a bit and try to think of more interesting things to post about then it would be fine again I think. Mike himself recently said in one of the threads that he is getting sick of all those polls and wanted more prog talk. So there you have it.

CAIRATH said:
That's only partially the reason though. Like I said, the offtopic rules don't seem to be enforced as strictly anymore as they have been before so no one is forcing everyone to keep making "Wutz ur favourite Opeth album?!?" polls. There are just too many people on this forum with an incessant need to start polls about every tiny stupid thing that no one in their right mind would care about. And I really do wonder how many of those people who start poll after poll really go "Hmm, that's interesting!" at the end of it. I bet pretty much none. Most polls seem more in the vein of "I want to give my opinion about something but making a thread that says 'I like album X better than album Y' would be dumb so I'll just formulate it as a question".

I didn't think the offtopic forum was a very good idea either. I certainly never read it much myself. Ideally a forum should have a good mix of ontopic stuff to keep people interested in the band happy but also enough freedom and offtopic talk to keep regulars around. The latter has been a problem in the past with a lot of regulars probably migrating to other UM forums or SOT or wherever they all went.

This forum is far from perfect but it's been a lot worse. If people could just lay off the Opeth fanboyism a bit and try to think of more interesting things to post about then it would be fine again I think. Mike himself recently said in one of the threads that he is getting sick of all those polls and wanted more prog talk. So there you have it.

Yeah, I actually agree with all you said. Still, I still maintain that getting rid of the off-topic rule would be a good thing.

affinityband said:
Too much abuse would go on. Its bad enough people not agreeing with stuff about Opeth, let alone everything else in the world.

I really think they should keep this rule. I am honestly tired of people posting stupid threads that are totally irrelevant to Opeth. Look, face the facts, this is the official Opeth forum. go over to that other one if you want to do that crap. I like the idea of making unrelated threads as long as they somehow relate to Opeth, but not so open as "These guys play music so they are related to Opeth enough" that's just idiotic. Something like "Hey these guys play music that sounds a lot like Opeth" would be much better.

Tubbs Mcgee said:
I like the idea of making unrelated threads as long as they somehow relate to Opeth, but not so open as "These guys play music so they are related to Opeth enough" that's just idiotic. Something like "Hey these guys play music that sounds a lot like Opeth" would be much better.

But why should every topic be related to Opeth in the first place? If I'm not mistaken, this forum is the only one with this rule. Also, I don't see any problem in having unrelated opeth discussions, if you're not interested in a given off-topic thread, just ignore it...no big deal.

affinityband said:
Too much abuse would go on. Its bad enough people not agreeing with stuff about Opeth, let alone everything else in the world.

There's already a rule to "avoid" abuse:

"The Opeth forum is not for
- Badmouthing other bands. If you feel the need to critizize, please do so
with a constructive insight.
- Harrassing the band members, forum members or other public persons."

Besides, if you look for agreement, I suggest to look elsewhere...you won't find it on ultimate metal.

Sadguru said:
But why should every topic be related to Opeth in the first place? If I'm not mistaken, this forum is the only one with this rule. Also, I don't see any problem in having unrelated opeth discussions, if you're not interested in a given off-topic thread, just ignore it...no big deal.
Actually it is very annoying when the threads pop up because then other people will want to start making stupid threads. It doesn't matter if this is the only forum with the rule, it still has it and that's that. Just because every other forum on here has the ability to make unrelated threads, that doesn't mean this one has to! Dangit it's, well, not UM that makes these rules, it's (whoever it is) at this forum. I don't believe in making threads that don't pertain to the band, and the band might not appreciate it either. I say keep the rules and show the damn band some respect. It doesn't matter if they care or not, the whole point is showing your appreciation towards them. Starting a topic about "Nevermore's new album Pwns all n00bs" here is cool for Nevermore, but Opeth will more than likely not want it here, the focus is on them, and they want attention, why do you think they started this damn forum?

Whoo.

Sadguru said:
There's already a rule to "avoid" abuse:

"The Opeth forum is not for
- Badmouthing other bands. If you feel the need to critizize, please do so
with a constructive insight.
- Harrassing the band members, forum members or other public persons."

Besides, if you look for agreement, I suggest to look elsewhere...you won't find it on ultimate metal.

Im sure these come under 'everything' in the world.