Honestly, this forum should get rid of this rule

The aforementioned rule has more or less come to mean 'Topics that are not related to music'.

A while back I saw how tired people were of only having to discuss Opeth. Prior to the new album's release, there really wasn't much to say that wasn't said already, so things got boring in a hurry. It was also interesting to me that Mike was one of the people who posted in threads unrelated to Opeth (unless specifically asked a question in an Opeth thread).

So I decided to ease off the deletions and allow music-related chatter to keep going, but that doesn't mean off-topic chat is allowed on here. There are tons of forums on UM where you can do that. As witnessed with SOT, those communities tend to degenerate into a cesspool of immorality and ultimately just cause problems for the rest of the communities (and the admin, if I recall).

To give people the freedom of speech about whatever they want and not expect to get burned is only really possible when the community in question is capable of controlling themselves and not getting out of hand. This community has shown it isn't able to do that, hence why there's 3 mods here.

Sadguru said:
It's just rather sad that what use to be my favorite forum is now such a borefest. Anyway, you don't have to agree with me, I'm not trying to convince you or anything...I just think that this forum could be a lot more stimulating without this rule, that's all.

ironically, the forum was 300% better before you joined in '04 so i empathize.

Moonlapse said:
A while back I saw how tired people were of only having to discuss Opeth. Prior to the new album's release, there really wasn't much to say that wasn't said already, so things got boring in a hurry. It was also interesting to me that Mike was one of the people who posted in threads unrelated to Opeth (unless specifically asked a question in an Opeth thread).

Yeah, people always complain about new guys asking old questions and them being sick of it, but imagine how he feels. I guess its extra nice for him to be able to be a part of the forum joining in with normal stuff occasionally instead of having to just answer the same thing over and over.

For his sake, let there be slightly off topic topics.

Moonlapse said:
So I decided to ease off the deletions and allow music-related chatter to keep going, but that doesn't mean off-topic chat is allowed on here. There are tons of forums on UM where you can do that. As witnessed with SOT, those communities tend to degenerate into a cesspool of immorality and ultimately just cause problems for the rest of the communities (and the admin, if I recall).
I suppose I could deal with off-topic music threads every once in a while, but PLEASE don't go out and make a ton of non-related music threads, everybody! I think if that happens, we might even forget this is the Opeth forum! :loco:

Even though I haven't posted much on this forum since joining in 02...I must say, back in the day it was a lot more interesting to read. Seriously...

I still love their music though, and never get tired of talking about them so I don't mind the rule, but at a glance it makes everyone here seem a little obsessed. :Smug:

I've always thought it to be a stupid rule to be honest. Yeah, so this is an Opeth forum. People do come here to talk about Opeth, but people also come here with hopes of talking about issues un-related to Opeth to gain the opinion/expertise of like-minded individuals.

What this forum needs, is a sub-forum. One for Opeth related, one for un-Opeth related.

So do it, you fucks.

Deja vu, anyone?

Guess the newer people can be forgiven, since they weren't around for the split. The sub-forum thing isn't going to happen though, because it already has happened once, and didn't work out. The band themselves got the off-topic section removed, which spawned the 'seriously off-topic' community, which spurred this amazing resentment of the Opeth forum. Had to deal with a lot of crap back then.

How off-topic you can get depends on the members you have. When you had certain idiots here not so long ago, even the decent threads got spammed pretty badly. There are fewer obnoxious people now, which has allowed the relatively off-topic slant we have now. I wouldn't want to see more OT material.

It all depends on what people expect from a forum. I only plan on 10-20 minutes a day here, so I don't need a full page of topics to look at (unless they all suck). If people are expecting hours of entertainment here, then they're going to get bored and start to get more antsy for off-topics.

I go to a bunch of different forums, a few of which have topicality enforced.

Generally, I think the best way to do things is to allow off-topic posting, but within limits. If the person's posting something off-topic because they're familiar with the community and want people they somewhat know to read it, then it's more or less fine. But if someone came on here and posted "LOL CHILDRUN OF BODUM RAWKZ", then that'd be a bit different.

<_< don't mind me, though. I just joined today.

The only thing I can suggest is for some people to lighten up a bit. It's not even the older members either, some people come on here and just unleash like they're the fucking king of the world. Like, everything some how has to turn into a flame war on here. Shit like that should have heavier consiquences.