How about a Guitar Tone competition, round two?

Alright bitches, here she is: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1569935/Guitar Tone Contest MP3.mp3

Dean Vendetta w/ Seymour Duncan Dave Mustaine Live Wires (JB/Jazz active)-> Fresh as a new born baby strings/pick-> 3ft. Monster 500 series cable-> Countryman Type 85 DI Box-> RME Fireface 800

I'll admit I edited the DIs a bit, but they were pretty cleanly played to start off with :saint:

I'm aware the mix is shitty; it's just to illustrate the guitars. :heh:

I will not release the DIs 'till the bassist has their shit together.

Drum MIDIs will also be available. BrettT, do you want to do the final drums? The ones that are here were just thrown into Metal Foundry quickly.

As soon as everything is done, I'll send the files to MarkG and the contest shall begin!

EDIT: And for the record, I ain'ts no herb.

Alrighty guys, thoughts? Satisfied with this?

I made this clip and if you want we can use the DI's from it. I am gonna extend it and add a riff or two to it, but either or its whatevs fellers. I am just glad I got a break from all the madness. Life was getting and still is uber-depressing

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/324317/Random Clips/Reamp test.mp3

Or maybe this?

I hope we can start the contest in the XXI century... I think I'll be dead for the next one.

indeed. Getting DI´s took way too long, I was expecting more enthusiasm.

Who is up for doing the drums and bass? Who's mixing and mastering the thing to work for the competition? I need volunteers!

I think it's just busy season.

Anyone in school is probably inundated with work now... I know I was. I have like 3 papers due next week and a test every day in my bullshit school.

I promised to have the DIs done and I did it.

I PM'd SlipkyesBass to see if he needed tabs. He said he wanted to do the bass tracks.

I have drum midis as soon as someones ready to do em! If all else fails, I'll do them...

I think it's just busy season.

Anyone in school is probably inundated with work now... I know I was. I have like 3 papers due next week and a test every day in my bullshit school.

I promised to have the DIs done and I did it.

I PM'd SlipkyesBass to see if he needed tabs. He said he wanted to do the bass tracks.

I have drum midis as soon as someones ready to do em! If all else fails, I'll do them...

You are probably right about the busy season. I know I'm way too busy, taking time for myself 0:00 to 3 am then I go to bed. rest is just work at the moment.

My comment about the enthusiasm wasn't really directed at you, I really do appreciate you took the time to do them. Turned out great as well!

You are probably right about the busy season. I know I'm way too busy, taking time for myself 0:00 to 3 am then I go to bed. rest is just work at the moment.

My comment about the enthusiasm wasn't really directed at you, I really do appreciate you took the time to do them. Turned out great as well!

Don't worry I know. I'm in the same boat. DIs are a pretty big deal for this contest. A lot of people will be using them and a lot of people will criticise them, so I tried my best and edited them so the "performance" issue will be out of the question. This is gonna be about the tone.

I think the riff was a good choice, because it encorporated fast staccato playing, groovy playing and has open chords in it as well as single notes and pinch harmonics.

I'm excited to hear about bass.

Here's the midi file for the drums: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1569935/GTC Drums 230 4-4.mid

It's all in 4/4 and @ 230 BPM, the end is just a wacky polyrhythm in 5.

Who is up for doing the drums and bass? Who's mixing and mastering the thing to work for the competition? I need volunteers!

What exactly do you need there? Preparing the submix for 'everything that isn't guitars'? I can't speak for mixing but believe I could handle any mastering scenario you throw me, even if it's 'excessively loud'. I'm paying attention to the thread and interested in what's happening.

Don't have a reamp box on hand or the proper amp/cab so I'm not expecting to be an entrant :)

I could do the drums with Slate, not sure how people would like the cymbals though...

the one (not pointing fingers) who will do the drums, should make them as mix-ready as possible (including possible eq:ing, compression, saturation etc) so it is easier to fit the rest of the tracks to the mix. But do not use limiting, we will leave plenty of headroom for the mixes :)

Will do. Working on some right now. I'll try to have a clip for you guys tomorrow to see if you want me to do the official ones.

Edit: Scratch that, I have some coming right now.