How about a Guitar Tone competition, round two?

anyone know if its confirmed that bloodjin will make the tracks? since he just posted he would try to make some random riffs tonight but almost 2 weeks ago
else we are just waiting for nothing :p

anyone know if its confirmed that bloodjin will make the tracks? since he just posted he would try to make some random riffs tonight but almost 2 weeks ago
else we are just waiting for nothing :p

I PM'ed him, so lets see what happens.

I'm out again cus of ill health. No left arm and no reamp box = epic fail

Joe

Again? Man, don't skimp on the vitamins and vegetables. sorry to hear that

Is anyone else up for making DI's? Kyle just replied to my pm and he won't be able to get going on the DI's for another week. Very unfortunate events prevent him.

Sorry for not reading the whole thread, but what are the rules, i.e. can we use modellers or just real amps & micing? Is post processing ok?

Sorry for not reading the whole thread, but what are the rules, i.e. can we use modellers or just real amps & micing? Is post processing ok?

Rule #1: Minimize chaos? :heh: The basics I have read are 1) having same RMS levelled mix for everyone and 2) no one tweaks the drums and bass track anyway except stuff which is used on the master bus.

This is written to be a "guitar tone competition" but I guess we don't (even accidentally?) hear a pure guitar tones posted here, so the main challence will be: "make your best getting a tone which fits to this particular drum and bass track."

Of course there is a change for a comedy in competitions like this. Imagine some globally god-rated amp builders would team up and participate to this competition with their best ever combined amp...one of them decides to keep it dynamic, like when you hit the low string it could act like a funk bass pop or something...now he puts that in the mix without comp and looses the game to some "666-razorrrr" nicknamed teenager with a metalzone and some 22 additional plugins in there, but this is all good, more power to the guy.

Personally I'm taking this as part of mixing learning curve and be done with it (even with possibly unclear rules etc.)

EDIT:
But it could be very teachful IF there is pure guitar tarcks posted. One could then learn and study how people "treat" them related to common backing track.

If Bloodjin is wrapped up, why don't we just use Marcus' Holy Diver DI's?

:)

(Sorry - someone had to say it!)

Read the thread, rules and regulations have already been posted several times as well as info on modellers, reamping etc. Not to worry, once we get the DI's I'll make a new thread with all the info in the OP etc.

If Bloodjin is wrapped up, why don't we just use Marcus' Holy Diver DI's?

:)

(Sorry - someone had to say it!)

And I'll be the first to say that if I hear Holy Diver on more time this year I will eat my own face :lol:

ok lolzgreg are you giving the DI's a shot then? Getting these DI's is proving to be far more difficult and time consuming than I thought.

::XeS::
2000ContourSVT
AeternusEternus
ahjteam
analgrinder333
arcturian
Bloodjinn
BrettT
CatharsisStudios
crazykarl
calippo tecks
cococo
DaWolf
Eddy(Rawmachine)
Ermz
Hamish666
Hkollner
id3alism
iekobrid
Jaekae
James-Doolan
Jevil
jhrv
Killzone2kX
Korpse Pop
kramer1309
lolzgreg
Maamar Huq
Mancha
mefourtwelve
Melb_shredder
MetalMiller
mickrich
Mikko_Vainiala
monolithsound
Morgue
MT01
Nebulous
Nukular!
Nuno Filipe
opeth57
P-E
Petrovsk Mizinski
ProjectHamsterdam
rlcramer
Scootbaloo
ShreddyMarz
sexan
slayercannibalsuffohead
srv_ray
Teddyboy
TheDude
TheXRatedDodo
vespiz
Wolfeman

It would be nice to have a final post with the final rules with our can and can´ts
of this competition!

:headbang:

It would be nice to have a final post with the final rules with our can and can´ts
of this competition!

MarkG will be the grandmaster on this competition and he calls the shot, but I will do the quality checking. Here is a rough, non-final list of guideline:

You will be supplied with:
- a pre-processed stereo mixdown of drums and a bass guitar that should be panned hard left and hard right
- guitar di-tracks for reamping
- a music sheet and/or tabs if you want to play the guitars yourself or if you want use your physical gear but don't have reamping capabilities
- possibly a loudness reference track from the previous competition
- a text document with the rules, deadlines and other stuff

You are allowed to:
- process, pan and automate the guitartracks in any way you want
- record substituting guitar tracks if you don't have reamping capabilities. If you record your guitars instead of reamping, you have to try to make the performance as similiar to the supplied tracks as your skills allow
- only one submission per member, so make it count!

You are not allowed to:
- modify the composition or edit the performance on the supplied di-tracks. If you think the mix is too busy, muting the tracks is allowed
- edit or process the drums and bass in any way. You have to make the guitar tones fit the supplied drums and bass.
- add any additional instruments
- use any master bus processing

You have to submit:
- a mixdown that has the drums, bass and guitars
- a mixdown that has only the guitars soloed (= bass and drums muted)
- description of the signal chain (with pictures or screenshots if possible)
- submission format is 24-Bit 44.1 KHz interlaced stereo wav, no exceptions. Failing to meet this requirement leads to disqualification.

One more important thing...
- the loudness of the mixdown must be at -18dB RMS to repel the "louder usually always seems better" we had in the first round of the previous competition, as this competition is about the guitar tone, not mixing and loudness.
- The loudness will be double checked and if not met, the submission will either must be disqualified* or edited** to the required loudness level. As this editing may alter the originally visioned soundscape, it is highly recommended to follow the guideline to prevent dissapointment.
- More specific instructions (like setting the levels of the drums and bass) for this step will be written when we get the tracks

* If the submitted files are not in the required format
** possible editing for the submissions is only setting the levels of the submitted guitartrack to the supplied drums and bass to match the loudness of -18dB RMS