megaon5.jpg

sttwhtd1eh7.jpg
AmonAmarth-300.jpg
15071-0-300-0-300.jpg

swashbuckle.jpg
behemoth_apostasy.jpg
cover408_15538.jpg

@ howudoin1861

I got into metal basically from death metal. Nile and Cannibal Corpse were my firsts.

people always start with the soft stuff and end up with death metal/black metal. Your day will come.

I got into death metal very quickly. At first I thought it was really scary, but the more I listened to more I craved the aggression and brutality. I don't really know how to describe it, but I feel a need that only DM can satiate.

I love death vocals because I like listening to things that are rough and gross, which is usually what they are. I can't really give any suggestions on "how" to like it. Just give it chances with an open mind, if you like it, you like it, if you don't, then don't bother with it and move on to something else.

Death metal can be relatively easy to get into, if you enter through the proper channels. For me it was Hypocrisy and Dark Tranquillity, death metal bands that use melody, which served as training wheels for me until my need for melody decreased and I was able to appreciate the general aesthetics of death metal on their own, the technical riffs, the rough vocals, and the raw aggression.

Seeing as you like thrash a lot, I would start with early Morbid Angel and explore the Florida scene from there. Once done with that, you'll be ready for other scenes such as Sweden and New York.

Death Metal's simple honesty is what I love. Its angry, bitter and wants to scream it to the world at the top of its lungs.

There's no beating around the bush. No bullshit. Just pure negative emotion being thrown at the listeners. And if you feel good for it afterwards, then all the better.

Death Metal, and Extreme Metal in general, is the side of the humanity that rarely gets its voice. It's the vengeful, hateful and primal side of us that sometimes just needs to come out.

And the sheer brutality of it simply helps me to realise that my problems really aren't that bad. Happy music tends to just makes me think 'I don't have that', which makes me very pissed off.

Hense, Death Metal.

I never even got into melo-death. I started with Morbid Angel, then got into bands like Autopsy and Incantation then started listening to the Sunlight Studios bands like Dismember and Entombed.

The only death metal bands that I can tolerate now are Death and some of the 90s progressive death bands like Atheist and Pestilence. I used to like Obituary, Bolt Thrower, and Cryptopsy, but they got boring after a while.

Bolt Thrower do suffer from the 'every song sounds the same' catch that some bands fall into. But at least that song is a good one. Though their newer album, Those Once Loyal, is pretty darn awesome.

And I don't think there's anything wrong with Melo-Death. It just isn't good headbanging music.

But then I discovered Metallica's first 3 CDs and absolutely loved them. After that I printed out a list of Thrash Metal Bands and have been going down the list since then. I like mostly clean vocals, but I have noticed that I have been getting heavier and heavier. Is this the road to Death Metal?

Yep. That's how I got into it anyway.

Personally, I just followed the bands as they evolved so my tastes evolved with them. From thrash with gruff vocals into early Death Metal ala Cannibal Corpse, Morbid Angel, Death, Obituary, Bolt Thrower etc. When I was young I liked my music crazy and violent and the evolution of metal was just the ticket.

It really depends what you want to get out of death metal. There's plenty of death metal which has a similar aesthetic to thrash: catchy, you just want to rock out, bang your head, whatever. But if you appreciate good musicianship, it opens up another world of possibilities: the solos, the progressive stuff with prog rock or folk influences, the really technical, difficult to play stuff. Then there's the slower, more epic or moody kind of death metal. There's plenty of beauty to be found in death metal despite the common assumptions to the contrary. It all depends on what you like to hear in your music.

My first foray into death metal was Testament's The Gathering. While I know that is not death metal it was the beginning of me enjoying harsher vocals. Then my buddy lent me Death's The Sound of Perseverance and I really loved their version of Judas Priests Painkiller. From that point on I started exploring death metal. I really enjoy the sheer brutality of it - it helps me get rid of some aggression. The ability of the musicians to play with such aggressiveness yet still keep a melody or tune is unreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.