How do you like Death Metal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I listen for the riffs, solos, drums, breakdowns, vocals. All of it once you start to enjoy something you start to find other things about it that you like. It enhances the expeierence its not something like nu-metal that will go away and you'll look back and say " wow that was really lame in the grand scope of things." Atleast not for me< i was an adamant hater of DM when I first started listening to metal. I was more into Hardcore than anything else then I started branching out into DM with Suffocation, Death and Immolation, all who are different. At the beginning it may sound like a bunch of noise and mindlesss guitar slamming and drum pounding but once you recognize the skill it takes either to play the guitar at that speed sustain it throw in time changes, sustain vocals, not to mention drums, and in some cases bass as well. Now there are some terrible fucking bands but you just have to find out what YOU like and go from there.

^Suffocation bores the hell out of me, that NYDM style isnt veyr catchy or memorbale riffwise at all with the exception of Cannibal Corpse.

Suffocation is great. I actually prefer NYDM to Florida DM, though I don't like the new Cali dm, which is similar to NYDM in some ways. Effigy of the Forgotten and Pierced from Within are excellent. Breeding the Spawn has great songs, but the production ruins them to an extent.

I'm not versed enough in death metal to declare which scenes are superior over others. But from the few bands I listen to and what else I've heard, it'd go:

SWDM > PLDM > FLDM > NYDM > TXDM > CalDM

I'm from NY and I can't name any NYDM bands. In fact, I can only name a few USDM bands and I don't even know which states they're from.

Accursed
Antipathy
Baphomet
Biolich
Blood Obsession
Castigate
Cerebral Hemmorage
Ceremonium
Corpremisis
Deadspeak
Deathrune
Decomposed
Dehumanized
Demized
Dethroned
Fallen Christ
Fecal Corpse
Goatamentise
Grotesqueuphoria
Hellbound
Hollow
Immolation
Immortal Flesh
Incantation
Internal Bleeding
Internal Suffering
Irate
Malamor
Malicious Onslaught
Malignancy
Morpheus Descends
Mortician
Mutilation
Pyrexia
Revenance
Secrecy
Severed
Skinless
Suffocation
Utopia Banished
Wasteform

All from NY

Ozzman, Internal Suffering is Colombian, I think they just relocated to NY.

Texas has a great scene and it is relatively newer (started in the mid/late 90s). Bands include

Devourment
Aversion to Life
Insidious Decrepancy
Prophecy
Putrilage
Prophecy
Vitality
Exulcerate
Grotesque Formation
Viral Load

Ozzman, Internal Suffering is Colombian, I think they just relocated to NY.

Texas has a great scene and it is relatively newer (started in the mid/late 90s). Bands include

Devourment
Aversion to Life
Insidious Decrepancy
Prophecy
Putrilage
Prophecy
Vitality
Exulcerate
Grotesque Formation
Viral Load

I just pulled that NYDM list from MySpace. I didn't check for accuracy.

Immolation
Pyrexia
Skinless
Suffocation
These are the only four that I've heard of from the list and I had no idea they were from New York :lol:

I think my brother likes Immolation, I have a Pyrexia CD on my playlist and I've never heard anything from Skinless or Suffocation, I've only heard of them. I'll check them out though :headbang:

EDIT: I intend to add another NYDM band to that list within the next ten years or so :p

Status
Not open for further replies.