How do you rank Viva Emptiness in the Katatonia discography?

Nothing cheesy about DODS or BMD. Both are Metal classics. Katatonia's whole discog can show you that they excel in every field.

Well we haven't heard any speed/thrash or grind yet...forget that anyways...:p

It's excellent, a huge improvement from VE i.m.o. By clinical I don't mean overproduced or smooth, but really the sound itself, the guitar tone (on VE) lacks body, it sounds way too thin. And the drums have this St. Anger-ish clang sound to them, it's just un-Katatonic i.m.o.

Yup, that's exactly how I feel about the production.

Lately I've been appreciating Viva Emptiness more than I used to...but that production just bothers me to no end and actually prevents me from liking it more. I *really* hope they go through with remixing it one day like Anders hoped they would.

Of the post brave murder day albums, it's by far the best - every song on that has it's own distinct identity but somehow the album has an interlocking theme (if not lyrically than definetly musically) it's by far the most bitter, angry and cold album katatonia has put out.

I'm also a big fan of the production, as I raved on another thread.

Ha. Its funny, I was thinking what are you guys talking about? Why does everyone dislike this album so much? Its great! But then when I do compare it to Katatonia's other albums, I have a hard time ranking it very high. This is more of a testament to how awesome the overall standard of Katatonia's albums are, rather than making V.E at all a bad album.

hm, i have to say it's not my favorite album... and not on my top 3 as well.. and i have to admit that it sounds a little "clinical" indeed..
I really like their older works. and i'll stick with that.

Towards the top. Songs Like Ghost of the Sun, Criminals, Ormeta, Inside the City of Glass, and sleeper are all some of my favorite Katatonia songs.

i have to admit that it sounds a little "clinical" indeed..
If only I knew what "clinical" is supposed to mean in this context. Oh well.

Simply speaking, is the record more like LFDGD or TGCD? Are there solos? Quiet/loud dynamics? How's the singing? Lots of catchy choruses? Growls? Harmonized stuff? Is the drumming complex and varied as it's on TGCD for example?

its a bit too bitter for my liking....i hate when they use swearing in a song to add emphasis....just comes off as kind of lame, like when a band has the word hate in their name, like hate ammo, hate patrol, hatebreed, hatesphere (amazingly terrible)

but it has some amazing songs on it, so overall id say

1. great cold distance
2. tonights decision
3. Brave murder day
4. viva emptiness
5. dance of december souls (havent listened recently, why i ranked so low)

Since they rarely cuss, when they do, I think that indicates more passion when they do it. I dislike cussing in music as well, but if a band does it sparingly, I see no issue with it.

I happened to like this album.

In terms of ranking its probably my third favorite album. 1st is Tonights Decision, 2nd Last Fair Deal Gone Down and 3rd, Viva Emptiness.

Took a long time for me to like VE. But after growing a bit obsessed about TGCD I all of a sudden loved VE. The production only bothers me on one song: "Ghost of the sun". For me the list would look something like this: TGCD, NITND, VE, DO, TLFDGD, TD, BMD. In that order. Some albums will swap places now and then though. VE was a fresh sound and it's more varied than any of their other albums. Lyric's not good? Well, I feel the oppocite..more or less. Having listened to this kind of music in every form possible Katatonia is the only band within the genre who actually manage to create something with a feeling of freshness on most albums. The typical mystical dark lyrics every band within the genre generates has been done to death I feel.