How England will win the World Cup this year...

Fuckin cunt ref. Totally ruined what was a very good match. Midway through the second half there was just nothing left. Shame. The US did play much better, but are still pretty woeful when it comes to the final ball. Now they have to beat Ghana by several goals, which just ain't gonna happen.

I predicted the score correctly 2 weeks ago :). 5 points closer to winning our internal betting game at work.

Ugh, a fucking tie. Maybe should have won, despite only 9 players. Wtf happened in the first half?

One reason Americans will never buy into the WC: the tie. Come on, where's the incentive to play if the game can end in the same place it started? Give me an overtime loss over fuckin equilibrium...

We'll see which team shows up vs Ghana

Holy crap, what a game!

I was for the US, those Italian fags could barely run after the 70 minute mark and they were 10v9. Very intense game.

The match vs. Ghana is going to be awwwwwwwwesome

Dick Sirloin said:
One reason Americans will never buy into the WC: the tie. Come on, where's the incentive to play if the game can end in the same place it started?

jesus christ...dude, what are you talking about? The USA were HUGE underdogs going in, Italy should have won this 3-0!!

The fact that they got a tie is AMAZING. And they went down to 9 men and hung in there....

Yeah that ref was a total CUNT. The elbow was obviously deserved, but the other 2 against the US were pathetic. USA need to beat Ghana now, but who would have thought they'd still be in it.

How is the Ghana squad?

Also, are the Italians (despite their effort today) better than the Czechs? Or at the very least, do they have a decect chance to beat the Czechs? It was just announced that if the U.S. wins and the Italians win, the U.S. will actually advance!

Okay, time to show my ignorance. I've only very recently started watching this sport (watched some of the last WC and a good bit of this one). Anyway, wasn't Mastroeni pretty crucial in the U.S. control of the mid field? I thought that was a major component of our doing as well as we were. How important was he really and how much of a loss with it be to not have him vs Ghana?

Dark One said:
How is the Ghana squad?

Also, are the Italians (despite their effort today) better than the Czechs? Or at the very least, do they have a decect chance to beat the Czechs? It was just announced that if the U.S. wins and the Italians win, the U.S. will actually advance!

That's the whole nailbiting aspect...

Italy are one of the favorites to win the world cup. They absolutely should beat the Czechs.

Ghana just beat the Czechs 2-0, but that was an upset. If the USA play against Ghana like they played today, the USA could definitely win it.

If that happens, it'll be one for the books. It's a comeback from the dead (because nobody would have bet against Italy today, it was an almost foregone conclusion that the USA were going out today).

You just never know with Ghana, but if the US plays like they did today you'd have to think it will be at least an evenly matched game. If any game has to be a "must win" in this group, the Ghana is the least of the evils.

The problem w/ the CR is that they don't have any healthy forwards. I didn't see the match today, so I'm not sure how they played. It should be a close game on Thursday. There is MAJOR incentive to win this group, as the runner up will most likely have to play Brazil.

Thanatopsis123 said:
Okay, time to show my ignorance. I've only very recently started watching this sport (watched some of the last WC and a good bit of this one). Anyway, wasn't Mastroeni pretty crucial in the U.S. control of the mid field? I thought that was a major component of our doing as well as we were. How important was he really and how much of a loss with it be to not have him vs Ghana?
He's very good at that defensive mid role, but there are other guys that can do it. John O'Brien will probably start Thursday. He adds a lot more attack as well.

Thanatopsis123 said:

Yeah, that's a good point, but obviously the strategy MUST change now simply because you don't have all your starting players.

One thing that is a no brainer -- Damarcus Beasley is going to be in the starting squad against Ghana.

It's going to be one of those games where the USA need to take the lead and just DEFEND DEFEND DEFEND until the 90 minutes are over.

Need offense next time--Eddie Johnson needs to play. I'm not a big fan of his, but we need him. I'm not sure why they didn't sub him in today, that seems like a mistake.