How England will win the World Cup this year...

Henrik Main said:
Hellz yeah, an excellent result. Go Switzerland!

Hey, who's that #23 playing for Switzerland? Is it Degen? He had a great game against France -- good ball control down the right wing, especially for a defender?

JayKeeley said:
Oh yeah, I must have been thinking of latest goal... :loco:

France vs South Korea was good -- I thought it was evenly matched. That said, France were robbed of a perfectly good goal.

This could have been Zidane's last intl game ever.

It was a pretty good, solid game except for that no call on that second goal, at least in comparison to this World Cup. The abundance of cards is absolutely ridiculous, however, and carding Zidane was unfair, especially if this was to be his last outing.

That Aus vs. Brazil game was pretty intense. Brazil completely cleaned up during the second half, but Australia still played very well!

JayKeeley said:
Hey, who's that #23 playing for Switzerland? Is it Degen? He had a great game against France -- good ball control down the right wing, especially for a defender?

He's called Philipp Degen, David Degen's twin brother. A young and very talented attacking wing back, currently playing for Borussia Dortmund. I agree, his performance against France was excellent!

MFJ said:
That Aus vs. Brazil game was pretty intense. Brazil completely cleaned up during the second half, but Australia still played very well!

We played very well, Brazil didnt impress me that much, this mighty team reigning world champions etc. etc. were hassled by the 40th ranked team.

The only timed we dropped off was when they got that first goal, the second was unlucky on our part that deflection off the post :erk: We kept it right to them the entire game we had more corners and had some very good goal opportunities, but just couldnt get them into that net.

Next up is Croatia all we need is a draw, the way they played against Japan wasnt convincing and we are getting better each game. I'm going to wage on us getting to the second round :Smug:

Well, I so digged how intense the Aussies played and hope that they'll get further.
And how much fun it was to see South Korea score the 1:1 against France! :headbang:
Somehow the last 15 mins of each tournament seem to be the most exciting this year....

I'm really into this World Cup. I mean, I've been a big fan of football for as long as I can remember, and was always looking forward to it, but since it started I've been enjoying it so much. I guess with the four year gap you forget just how exciting it is.

I predict England will play much better tomorrow! Always the optimist!

This is my 6th world cup since '82 (although I do remember bits of the final from '78).

Rooney and Owen to start against Sweden, and they're going with a holding midfielder to push Lampard up there as well.

England 3 Sweden 1

As poor as Owen has been, I would definitely go with Owen and Rooney. Basically, we're not going to win the World Cup with Crouch in our team!

I read a newspaper article the other day saying how we need to utilise Gerrard and Lampard more. This is the way forward definitely. Those guys should be forming one of the very best midfield partnerships in the tournament (just look at their Premiership form last season) yet they didn't really do a great deal in the last game (apart from Gerrard's goal, obviously).

There was a penalty. Togo has already enough trouble approaching the Swiss goalkeeper.Let them a chance. This and yesterday's refused goal :rolleyes:

Switerland looks impressive especially because they had 5-6 opportunities and scored 2

Doom said:
I read a newspaper article the other day saying how we need to utilise Gerrard and Lampard more. This is the way forward definitely. Those guys should be forming one of the very best midfield partnerships in the tournament (just look at their Premiership form last season) yet they didn't really do a great deal in the last game (apart from Gerrard's goal, obviously).

They never perform for England and it's ENTIRELY Sven Eriksson's fault. He insists on playing the 4-4-2 formation and that means both Lampard and Gerrard just get in the way of each other, or don't know who should go up and who should stay back.

The only way to make good use of them is to play the holding mid-fielder, someone like Michael Carrick. If you've got him in front of the defence, and Beckham and Cole on the wings, it allows you to push them both up and pretty much do whatver they like (because Carrick will always be there to stay in the defensive mid-field position).

It's a REALLY easy transformation, and one that frustrates the English public because Sven refuses to move away from the 4-4-2.

---------------------Robinson----------------------------

-------Carragher----------Terry---------------A Cole-----

----------------------Carrick-----------------------------

---Beckham-----------------------------------J Cole------

----------------Lampard------------Gerrard---------------

-----------------------Rooney---------------------------

---------------------------Owen-------------------------

It's the 3-5-2 formation, or you could do it with 4-1-4-1 I suppose. This is the way for England to win games with style.

This is why the Sweden game will be interesting....Sven is playing this "diamond" midfield formation:

-----------------------Robinson------------------------------

---Carragher--------Ferdinand-----------Terry--------A Cole--

---------------------Hargreaves------------------------------

----Beckham-----------Lampard------------------J Cole-------

----------------------Rooney---------------------------------

-----------------------------Owen----------------------------

where Hargreaves plays holding mid-field in that diamond with Beckham, Lampard, Joe Cole, and Rooney.

The only problem is, Owen Hargreaves isn't very good. :erk: He should have used Michael Carrick who's been playing this role all season for Spurs.

Nevertheless, I'm seeing England crush Sweden tomorrow.

It's ENTIRELY possible that Sven is SUCH A BIG FUCKING COCKSUCKER that he's simply going to pluck Gerrard out of the team (for good reason due to the yellow card) and drop Owen Hargreaves in his place WITHOUT CHANGING FORMATION.

That would mean 4-4-2 with Owen Hargreaves (a defensive midfielder) having to step up to the attack alongside Frank Lampard.

You see, this is the idiotic bullshit England have had to put up with for the last 5 years.

I have to believe we're going with 4-1-3-2 and just let the "3-2" players go in for the kill.