How England will win the World Cup this year...

Should have, you're right. Probably could have too, with all that possession we had, but for some reason every time crunch time came, our players got a bit confused and ran into one another and shit. Bah.

Yeah, if this happened to the English, there would be riots right now. Dresden would be like a walk on the beach in comparison.

That ref was a cunt. It was a bad call, ESPECIALLY because he knew it was at the end of stoppage time so he basically handed the game to the Italians.

Had it been a CLEAR foul, that would be a different matter, but since it was dubious to say the least, he should have given it the benefit of the doubt and let the game run to extra time.

The Aussies were ripped off (and if you think England played badly against Ecuador, that Italian performance was some of the worst I've seen yet considering they're one of the favorites).

Absolute tosh. FIFA need to step in and review this.

Well, I'm glad I didn't sneak out to see this Swiss v Ukraine game. The BBC are saying it's the worst game of the tournament by far.

I don't think Italy are going to worry about their QF matchup, regardless of who wins this.

JayKeeley said:
Yeah, if this happened to the English, there would be riots right now. Dresden would be like a walk on the beach in comparison.

That ref was a cunt. It was a bad call, ESPECIALLY because he knew it was at the end of stoppage time so he basically handed the game to the Italians.

Had it been a CLEAR foul, that would be a different matter, but since it was dubious to say the least, he should have given it the benefit of the doubt and let the game run to extra time.

The Aussies were ripped off (and if you think England played badly against Ecuador, that Italian performance was some of the worst I've seen yet considering they're one of the favorites).

Absolute tosh. FIFA need to step in and review this.
Aussies ripped off? Italy showed far more class until that ridiculous red card, and that was after the Italians hadn't even appealed for what were yellow card offences in the first half. That bullshit refereeing basically killed their attack since they're a defensive side anyway. I don't think they were nearly as bad as England who could barely string two passes together in the first half against Ecuador, Italy had typically rock solid defense and very good passing and control. What ruined the game was the sending off, I thought Italy thoroughly deserved the win and felt it was sweet justice at the end. But yeh, inconsistent refereeing yet again...

Glad I missed this match, the BBC coverage is ripping into it. Looking forward to the penalties though, go Ukraine! :loco:

I only saw the second half of the Italy vs Australia game, and Australia BY FAR were running circles around the Italians. 10 men or not, this is Australia we're talking about and Italy were the seeded favorites.

I just think it's a disgrace that the referee could give a penalty (when it clearly wasn't a penalty) knowing perfectly well that it would end the game there and then. He should have absolutely given the benefit of the doubt and let it run into extra time.

For my money, the best team did not win.

The only games I get to watch from here on out are the ones on ABC or whatever cuz I don't have cable. Good times. Oh well, the ones I got to see while on vacation were quite frustrating to watch.

JayKeeley said:
I only saw the second half of the Italy vs Australia game, and Australia BY FAR were running circles around the Italians. 10 men or not, this is Australia we're talking about and Italy were the seeded favorites.

I just think it's a disgrace that the referee could give a penalty (when it clearly wasn't a penalty) knowing perfectly well that it would end the game there and then. He should have absolutely given the benefit of the doubt and let it run into extra time.

For my money, the best team did not win.
100% correct JK. Considering we were never even considered to have any chance against the teams in the group stage we made it to the second round, I think we did amazingly well. But that ref decision was by far the worst against us considering he fouled a player then tripped over a guy in the box :mad:

Int said:
Glad I missed this match, the BBC coverage is ripping into it. Looking forward to the penalties though, go Ukraine! :loco:

Yeah, the BBC really didn't hold back! "Turgid", "a sham", "ruining the game of football" were some of the comments made about the Swiss vs. Ukraine game! They pointed to the fact that there wasn't a single offside during the first 90 minutes, which reflects how little effort both teams put into attacking. The Swiss must feel pretty stupid now, because if they had actually tried to win it rather than just defending for 2 hours and waiting for penalties, they could at least have come away with their heads held high.

Because the game was so dull, the penalty shoot-out really wasn't very exciting either. Like the commentators said, neither team deserved to win.

I don't understand what was so bad about the Ukraine vs Swiss match. It's not like nobody was taking any shots on goal. Both sides had like three balls go off the crossbars. It wasn't the most exciting or well-played game, but it certain'y wasn't the worst, and by a long shot. And the lack of fouls and penalties is totally on the referee. Apparently FIFA wanted to make up for the Portugal game.