How is everyone meeting Opeth?

Stillb0rn

New Metal Member
Sep 28, 2008
In every thread about a specific date/show, there are around 2-3 people who claimed to have met Opeth. How do you go about doing this? I'm going to the show in Edmonton on Oct 1, and would love this opportunity.

I am in a tribute band with 4 friends. The promoter knows that we exist so right before the Quebec city show, we asked one of the crew if we could meet Opeth, he said he would ask the tour manager.

We stayed inside after the show and the crew guy told us we could stay so we did. We were 8 or 9 fans and we had to wait for an hour or so before we could see them for a bout 10 minutes. We shook hands, took a few pictures, had things signed and they left.

They were exhausted and were leaving for a 12 hour trip so they were quick, but still very nice.

I think the best way to meet them officially (by not stalking them) is to have a "good reason". Unless you have full of tattoos or anything, I don't think they'll let you meet them just because you say you are a great fan.

Anyway, it was great to finally meet them because we've been playing their songs for like 2-3 years and we always wanted to see them. It was memorable even though it was short.

Good luck to those who haven't seen them.

Just wait outside by the tour bus after the show. last night there were about 20-25 people who waited outside about an hour to meet them, but then they were all VERY nice, and let us all take pics and get autographs. Me and a couple other guys were even asking Mike a bunch of questions, like about his vocal technique, or what it was like to work with Ihsahn, or if he'd ever do Mordet i Grottan live, and Mike answered all of them (he just naturally has a good technique, apparently even Melissa Cross once came up to him and told him he had the perfect technique; Ihsahn wasn't actually in studio, but he's met him before and is a nice guy, but not as "necro" as he used to be; and no)

Basically you just have to be patient, I have a friend who once waited 5 hours to meet Dimmu Borgir, but the bus driver felt bad, so he gave her half a pizza they had eaten on the bus.

i've had a few memorable chats.
the most down to earth guy is stanne from dark tranquillity, i meet him in every single event in gbg.
i met him in metaltown once, i met him in a lacuna coil gig and in slottskogen goes progressive,
the first time was in their gig sometime in late 2006 i think...
and i end up having a 20minute chat with him everytime, he's basically like "oh you again, hai thar".

has anyone ever had a decent chat with jonas renkse?
everytime i start a conversation with him he just answers quickly and turns away...
he seems arrogant, or he's just insecure...don't know...
i had a chat with fred from katatonia though, he was a very nice guy.

I had a very cool 20min chat with steven wilson in melloboat before the katatonia gig with couple of other guys...awesome down to earth guy.

i only spoke to mikael once, he was standing next to me in melloboat when axe and his girl was performing,
i just commented something spontanious like "i see why you wanted her in the album" just to make conversation,
he turns and nods "yeah she is very talented" and smiles, he was busy enjoying the music :)
once again jonas was next to him and was all arrogant somehow.

Stalk Jack Frober dude, he will eventually lead you into Mikael's bedroom through some secret passages in the dark (lantern bearer ;))

i met them all in montreal, heres what you do, first circle the building and find a bus, thats most likely their bus :p. then after the show go hang out there, after a half hour or so they'll come out and sign stuff, it was great. they're all great guys :)

I met them in Worcester for the third time and they signed these for me....

watershed.jpg

I made this painting which was a tribute to Opeth:
ebb1fca7388607a3cf82252f499d80ea.jpg

Before the show I knocked on their bus and their tour manager Bo opened the door. I asked if Mikael was in and he said that he was sleeping. I gave my painting to him to give to Opeth.
I left about half way through Dream Theaters set, because I honestly couldn't take his high-pitched vox any more. :p I parked in the parking lot right by the tour buses so you'd have to walk past all of them to get to the car. On my way out I saw Martin Axenrot (who probably couldn't take LaBrie's vocals either :p) . I greeted him and I told him that I was the person who painted the panel that I gave to them. He told me that he loved it and he went back stage to get the rest of the band. Everyone else from Opeth (except Per who was still watching Dream Theater) came out to thank me. They signed my shirt and my copy of Morningrise. :)

General message. If you want to meet the band, give them free stuff. hahaha

I always get to the venue really early because I like to get the best spot. Once my friend walked across the street to 7-11 and Mikael was crossing the street at the same time. She threw the horns and he stopped in the middle of the road and hugged her hahaha! How funny, everyone stopped at the light probably thought it was the weirdest thing they ever saw.

Long story short, maybe if you get there early you will see them lingering around the venue.

Funny, on the way to the venue at the Arena in Brisbane about a month ago, we parked the car around the corner and walked behind the venue where there was a sort of carpark and there they were Mendez and Fredrik, there were more people but I saw them, they were smoking. The fence was open but I couldn't bring myself to get in there and talk to them, it seemed so...ermm intrusive and groupie, like I thought what am I gonna say to them, "ermm, you're awesome, you kick ass" but maybe they wouldn't have minded (?), who knows? What someone said here, take an excuse with you and you'll have something "exchange"...I guess!
Good luck!

What about meeting them at an airport or something?
I dont think they take the VIP exit but just leave like everyone else.

Im going to see them in Dubai this March hopefully and my brother pinky-promised me, :p, to drive me to the airport to see them and follow them to the hotel and talk to his promoter staff friend to get some backstage pass if possible!

IM PUMPED FOR THIS,IM GONNA WORK ON MY CONVO TILL THAT DAY COMES!!!!

"So Mike, if there is an after life after all, do you think we can meet up and Jam?"

I met Dave Mustaine and Megadeth once. It was my only ever concert. It was at a signing session and i short-fused my brains and blabbered shit to Dave and left with an urge to pee and a bloodshot look in my eyes.
Dave means a lot to me and I never thought I'd see him causei live in fucking lebanon and was an exchange student for that one year in the US. This was before I was introduced to Opeth which now eclipse Megadeth by leagues.

Everybody tends to hang around near the tour bus or come in early, either of those usually work.