How many tracks do you think an avarage metal album should have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
astronaut said:
Ok name an album with more than ten songs which hasn´t got any fillers.

Well, let's leave grind due to the length of songs, but what about Vader's Ultimate Incantation? There's one Intro, but also 11 great songs.

I can find more if you want but I disagree with you because of the stupid logic itself.

Depends on type. For bands that have the epic quality 4 ultra-long tracks. For just straight out thrashin' smashin', about 16-20 short but brutal songs.

So basically you're a moron? That's Terrorizer - World Downfall, one of the best and most seminal grindcore albums ever.

Yes i am a moron and no i dont listen to grindcore. I think it´s the most filler-filled genre of them all,apart from being to similar to punk in musical attitude approach,which i dont like.

It's OK not to like it but to deride it baselessly and make sweeping generalizations is definitely the mark of a less-than-intelligent individual imo.

@ Mathias: YES, Bal-Sagoth has some of the best orchestral-ish instrumentals in metal...Battle Magic (the song) anyone? Final Fantasy Tactics style!

It's OK not to like it but to deride it baselessly and make sweeping generalizations is definitely the mark of a less-than-intelligent individual imo.

@ Mathias: YES, Bal-Sagoth has some of the best orchestral-ish instrumentals in metal...Battle Magic (the song) anyone? Final Fantasy Tactics style!

Bah,i´m sure you´ve said "This band is good,and this band isn´t" on occations. Same thing.

Anyway,onward to the non personal-bashing subject. I think the ultimate number of tracks is around 8 or 9. That way it´s possible to place the songs in a way that´ll make the album get a personality,other than just being a lump of songs. On the other hand i think it sucks to have it like on "Crimson" where it´s just one long ass track,which might work well if you´re in bed or something,but i remember when i worked on a place which took about 25 minutes to drive to,and i listened to that record for a period of time. The problem is, if you want to hear the whole album you´ll have to fastforward the music. I liked the concept on "Crimson II" much more,which allowed you to skip between tracks even though it´s the same song.
(Everything stated above is results of my personal opinion and should not be taken as facts):)

So basically you're a moron? That's Terrorizer - World Downfall, one of the best and most seminal grindcore albums ever.
Indeed. Not having heard an album makes you a moron.

Ok name an album with more than ten songs which hasn´t got any fillers.
Orphaned Land - Mabool
Sodom - M16
In Flames - The Jester Race, Lunar Strain
Dark Tranquility - The Gallery
I could go on, but I'm bored of this

Finite? as in, the filler ends?
I get what you're saying, though.
Generally, it's subjective. Sometimes it's really objective. Such as with Maiden - stuff like Quest for Fire, Flash of the Blade, The Duelists, etc...

Actually grindcore is a terrible sub-genre so I dont think that's proven wrong yet, until now

MUNICIPAL FUCKING WASTE

Large lols at the people placing strict guidelines on how long an album should be or how long a song should be, or many songs an album should contain. Seriously, remove the large obstruction from your anal cavity and take a fresh look at the world. If everything was uniform, you'd complain about that.

For example, the album Ad Noctum: Dynasty of Death is too long, but it seems that i like that album more than any other album from that band.

Assuming song length averages about three to five minutes, I'd expect eight to twelve tracks. If most songs are seven to ten minutes, or more, then four to six tracks is probably enough. I guess I'm part of the "length matters more than number of tracks" band wagon, but there are certain conditions. I generally don't appreciate it when songs are too much more than ten minutes though, because sometimes I don't have that much time. Listening to Persefone's "Core" album was quite a chore because three of the four songs on that album are over twenty minutes long and I had to make time to listen to each song, rather than just playing the album when I wasn't busy. I still haven't found time to listen to Devil Doll yet, because three of the five albums on my computer contain only one song lasting anywhere from an hour to an hour and twenty minutes. There's no way I'm going to have that much free time without interuption while I'm at college.

I'd stick to about 10 myself. 8 would be maximum if the songs were longer. Personally, I like the longer ones.

For example, the album Ad Noctum: Dynasty of Death is too long, but it seems that i like that album more than any other album from that band.

It's too long because "Behind the Darkened Walls of Sleep" and "Enthralled by the Shrine of Silence" are bonus tracks. Combined they add 20 extra minutes to the album.

9 good tracks would be the perfect number. I'm talking 5-9 minute songs here to add up to roughly 50 minutes. I've been listening to a lot of Agalloch lately & their albums seem to be very consistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.