how many years have you occupied this planet

I'm 28 now. I've been listening to metal for almsot 9 years now, when a friend introduced me to some metal bands.

Been a fan of Symphony X for well over a year now.
I saw them live at the 2003 Stratovarius Elements tour, bought The Odyssee, but didn't like the sound at first. It wasn't until 6 months later that I started to like the sound and became fan.

Lord Of Fire said:
I saw them live at the 2003 Stratovarius Elements tour, bought The Odyssee, but didn't like the sound at first. It wasn't until 6 months later that I started to like the sound and became fan.

Yeah sometimes it takes awhile for you to get into the sound of something... like with 2 of my favorite artists (who I won't mention cuz I'll prolly be flamed for their un-metalness lol), i had gotten their newest CDs at the same time a couple yrs ago and didnt like either at first, took me 4-5 months before I got into it and they turned out to be my favorites.

Hey Teleute...I see you're "smelling brains" over here too ;)

just turned 29...when I first heard Symph X a couple years ago it didn't really catch my fancy...not much of a prog metal fan. But recently I rediscovered the band so to speak and have been addicted to The Odyssey (which prompted me to buy it a couple days ago)...it seems to have better production and more of a shreddy/crunchy feel to it, and of course the intricacy and arrangements are amazing...fave song at the moment is Accolade II, damn catchy chorus! Anyway, I'm really looking forward to the new album...whenever that may surface

17 and look forward to quite a few more years of rocking out. Found Symphony X about a year and a half ago, or something like that. I had begun my Prog journey about a year earlier and was searching for some new stuff and heard how good SX was, and was lucky enough to find The Odyssey sitting comfortably at FYE in the local mall....

oh my god i'm 28.

greetings everyone.
long time no see, again, SilentRealm.

also, i am as of last november, on the market again.

yes, i am once again single (echoes) single- single- single

lol

greetings everyone.
long time no see, again, SilentRealm.

yes definately long time no see. I think I ended up deleting you off messenger because I never saw you around, so if you have msn you can add me if you like.

btw sorry to hear you're single again, unless that's a good thing.. who knows

Boy, doesn't time fly... I'm 34. Seems like just last week I was spending the majority of my day in the dorm room blasting guitar through a 2x12 65-W amp turned up to 7. Gee, they really must have loved me back then.

Been a metal fan since sixth grade, starting when I heard Iron Maiden's "Hallowed Be Thy Name". Never looked back. I started playing guitar the summer before ninth grade. My tastes in music then shifted from the Ratt, Maiden, Twisted Sister (ugh!), Krokus, Saxon, Ozzy, etc.-type music to the neo-classical shred movement (Malmsteen, MacAlpine, Greg Howe [still can't believe I met the guy face-to-face and could only say three words to him], Racer X, Vinnie Moore, etc.). Around 11th grade things started getting heavier with Megadeth, Suicidal Tendencies (geez, Rocky George was cool), blah blah (never much a fan of Metallica because everybody else in school liked them and my tastes were much better than mainstream-ha!), etc.

My musical preferences have expanded considerably to include Blues (went to college in Texas - Lubbock to be exact - so it had to come into favor sooner or later), jazz (my guitar teacher is big time into jazz/fusion/funk - just a logical progression since I've been under his tutelage for so damn long), classical (pretty natural since most of the music I listen to is classical based - natural that I'd want to investigate where it was all coming from), and Christian (wife is big on Christian music - the melodies are typically very cool).

Dream Theater came along my junior year in college. I heard "Pull Me Under" on the radio and almost had an orgasm. I found the name of the band and then heard they were coming to town. I went to see them and was blown away. Then got their CD, didn't stop listening to it for several months, and bought every other DT CD to follow. Since then, I'd been keeping an ear out for new stuff and heard about a kid named Mike Romeo. I looked all over for more information, but couldn't find anything. Internet growth finally led me to more information and I found out about Symphony X. I finally found one of their CDs (V) and bought it. Blew me away and I've been a steadfast fan since. I finally got to see them live a year and a half ago (talk about time flying...) and look forward to their future releases/projects/etc.

I joined this forum a while back, but don't post too much - mostly when I'm bored at work. I have expanded my CD catalog significantly based on band recommendations from this forum and my own Internet browsing. Thanks to all who have brought me new music.

Prog Maiden said:
I'm 19, turning 20 in April. I've been a prog fan since I was 14, and a Symphony X since I was 15. :)

HAHAH, I see more and more people are migrating from the DT forums to the SX forum. :headbang:

I think it's awesome that there are older people into stuff like Symphony X.

Alot of people think this kind of music is for kids. You know, "metal isn't for adults blah blah blah". Which is the dumbest opinion I've ever heard.

SilentRealm said:
yes definately long time no see. I think I ended up deleting you off messenger because I never saw you around, so if you have msn you can add me if you like.

btw sorry to hear you're single again, unless that's a good thing.. who knows

Well, I havn't decided if it's a good thing or not. I guess that sounds like I have, but... no, I really havn't. Yet. Ummm...

I'll IM ye sometime. I just got my trillian installed again, and as it happens, somehow a few of me "buddys", including you, were stored on some server somewhere's.

:wave:

Hi,

I will be 33 this year. I'm into progressive music since 1992. Haven't been into metal since 2003, when I've bought "The Odyssey". Since then, I like metal very much, but mostly german bands like BG, Edguy, Poverty's no crime, Mekong Delta

Since mid-80s I like bands like Led Zep or Uriah Heep.