How to Appreciate Death Metal

Please don't start discussing particular bands here.

The article is rather complacently written and reeks of dispassionate writing, but it's kind of decent for a "crash course" on why people who only like mainstream music should enjoy metal...I guess...

I, too, was waiting to read something that accurately describes WHAT about DM compositional techniques and playing style makes it worthy of another listen from a modern radio listener...then I realized it's futile because that involves using theory terms and lots of musical jargon, which the average joe just won't care about enough to read...

it would still be a worthy endeavor, metal gets next to no respect from the respectable music press as well as real music fans. it's understandable, as most metalheads are retards, most well-known metal bands suck, and the subject matter is generally repulsive to any normal, intellectually mature person, but it's not really justifiable. something like that may at least give listeners of other artistic music a reason to respect death metal.

i don't think so, the greater impedance to death metal's acceptance among intellectual music circles is not its exposure, but an accident of its aesthetic veneer which has caused the majority of those drawn towards metal to enjoy it for the wrong reasons.

or maybe i'm just a pretentious asshole.

it would still be a worthy endeavor, metal gets next to no respect from the respectable music press as well as real music fans. it's understandable, as most metalheads are retards, most well-known metal bands suck, and the subject matter is generally repulsive to any normal, intellectually mature person, but it's not really justifiable. something like that may at least give listeners of other artistic music a reason to respect death metal.

actually, there are plenty of great metal bands that are fairly popular (black sabbath, megadeth, opeth, maiden, slayer, etc...

oh yeah i see those bands getting rave reviews in the wire all the time, i was talking about respectability not popularity you doofus

first you make this post, adn then you start a whole thread on angry metalheads. Wtf . If you dont like it, you dont have to pay attention. Maybe Necrautal is just annoyed with all the idiots on this site,etc. now you on the other hand piss me off.
And even if somethign happenned,its not your business.

btw, anyone who actually pays attention to what theartcile says, and then tries to get into DM is a fucking tool. Fuck wikihow.And even if somethign happenned,its not your business.

do you punch your wall often? you should seek therapy....

oh yeah i see those bands getting rave reviews in the wire all the time, i was talking about respectability not popularity you doofus

I agree with everything you said if directed towards Death Metal. I believe some black metal such Darkthrone and Burzum holds as much artistict merit as anything worshiped by circles of music elitist. I believe that my love for death metal is immature, and I believe one day I will grow out of it. But I'm sure most good Black Metal, Doom Metal, and Heavy Metal bands shall be getting steady listens.

Though some death metal is deserving of respect.

I'm glad people who don't like or understand death metal don't listen to it. The very last thing I want is a ton of ignorant fans praising death metal. I've said before, and not that I truly care but I strongly dislike people who are ignorant to the music they listen to.

I agree with everything you said if directed towards Death Metal. I believe some black metal such Darkthrone and Burzum holds as much artistict merit as anything worshiped by circles of music elitist. I believe that my love for death metal is immature, and I believe one day I will grow out of it. But I'm sure most good Black Metal, Doom Metal, and Heavy Metal bands shall be getting steady listens.

Though some death metal is deserving of respect.

ugh im not saying it isnt worthy of respect, im saying it isnt respected by the mainstream 'art music' community

like I commented before, show burzum or darkthrone to a jazz or classical lover/musician, and they will tell you that shit isn't even music.

well thats fine cause I never thought of jazz or classical as music either.

Mozart and Joe Pass? thats just noise....

:loco: