How to growl - STRAIGHT forward

What's your guys favorite bands??? my personal favorites is Dying dying fetus... i have never heard enyone that could growl deeper that vocal 2... think his name is john gallagher or something... and cataract.... james taylor... - ...the coolest shreek ever...

What's your guys favorite bands??? my personal favorites is Dying dying fetus... i have never heard enyone that could growl deeper that vocal 2... think his name is john gallagher or something... and cataract.... james taylor... - ...the coolest shreek ever...

the guy from Swallow the Sun is one of the best at growling.
Their cover of "solitude" by Candlemass is one of the best cover songs ever.

My friends seriously has some of the deepest gutterals ever. it kills our cheap mic.

I hate Dying Fetus. Shitty music. As far as the vocals go, I don't find anything interesting. There are a hundred better bands.

I'm a fan of a variety of different metal styles, and I tend to really focus on vocals. Bloodbath, of course. Also SFU, and God Dethroned. Lord Gore and Fuck... I'm Dead are also excellent.

Dobbinlecher: I'm sorry but that doesn't really sound like growling to me at 5:05 in "The Dark Signature". I mean, of course it's deep and dark, but the only reason it sounds reasonably heavy is because of the three different sets of vocals. I wouldn't want to hear a whole song like that, even though it might be a cool interlude or some such. Growling needs power, otherwise it doesn't sound good. The vocal chords won't really be able to produce a good growl unless you really hit it from the gut and do it rather loud, otherwise too much air will dissipate without making anything more than a slight hiss (which we have heard over and over in various failed attempts by people wanting to become the new Bloodbath vocalist...).

Anyway, I'm not dissing here, the song is good otherwise, but I just don't think it would work to use such vocals throughout an entire track.

EDIT: Btw, what effects do you use on your vocals for the rest of the track? They sound evil :D

I know that's not much of a growl. I can honestly get more of a growl than that at low volumes; that was just the closest example I have. I agree - a whole song wouldn't be good that way. And all I ever use on vocals is a little reverb. I don't really like "doctoring" vocals. I would much rather just explore what I can do with my vocal chords. Thanks for the compliment also.

for me... the newer Zylklon stuff is awesome for vocals.. he uses the same technique as i do and some more which i cant do yet..

if you havent heard you guys should check it out :)

I've been talking a lot about growling here on the BB forums lately, spilling my cents on how it should be done etc. Thus, I figured it's my turn to be on the wrong end of the beating stick. Here's an unmixed version of one of the tracks from Zombie Destrüktions upcoming album "Tales of Morbid Mummification". The track is called "The Pirates of Cary B. Aargh!". No effects are used on the vox more than a slight compression. The levels might be a bit off since we haven't mixed the track yet, but I think you'll be able to form an opinion anyhow :)

http://www.zombiedestruktion.net/Zombie_Destruktion-Cary_B_Argh.mp3

Oh, and if anyone wants lyrics, they can be found here:
http://www.zombiedestruktion.net/lyrics.html

:headbang:

ive got low growls perfect but no matter how hard i try i cant get the high 1's right! i just sound stupid. any tips pls?

^^^^

Push your low growls to the limit, go as loud with them as possible as you can. No matter how much they sound like shit, they will sound better with time.

at least thats what i did, made mine louder and meatier....