I can't believe what I heard today!!!

sol83 said:
what do greeks have to do with that bbc-english-speaking little brat?

:D

Oho, I didn't mean that :p Harry Potter doesn't have a place in my Greek-boy stereotype package. It's more like Nick or whatshisname from Heartbreak High. :)

But tell me what kind of English are you being taught at your university?

english is what i study at my uni so actually i can teach english rather than be tought. :cool:

i have this stupid french exam in a week though. and i have to pass... :erk:

sol83 said:
english is what i study at my uni so actually i can teach english rather than be tought. :cool:

i have this stupid french exam in a week though. and i have to pass... :erk:

I know you're an English major, but you're still a student, that's why I asked. Are all language practice classes over then? (Or wasn't there any in your curriculum?)

Damn, I basically meant by asking that English majors at universities in non-English speaking countries, especially in Europe, are usually bound to study Queen's English or standard American English unless there are guys from like Ireland who teach them the majority of the courses.

it's not like that. i don't study one certain dialect (uk english or us english), i'm just doing stuff like poetry, drama, fiction (some of which are really hard cos they're really old), learning how to write advanced essays by doing research, learn, or rather be guided on how to write short and longer stories. that part is me fave one, liking books a lot and all... and of course i take other classes (philosophy, history, political science, etc.)

Sunshine, I am aware of all of this. My point was only that there's no point in scorning BBC English because you also probably speak that, just like me, since we both have learned English in the classroom, and they won't teach any dialect there.

So we are basically saying the same thing :)

A special smiley for you:

pic2354634.jpg

i meant bbc accent... it's totaly fake. nobody speaks like that in britain. only the royal family. go to london's east end or in glasgow and if you understand a single word of what is being spoken in the streets i'll buy you a jaguar.

sol83 said:
i meant bbc accent... it's totaly fake. nobody speaks like that in britain. only the royal family. go to london's east end or in glasgow and if you understand a single word of what is being spoken in the streets i'll buy you a jaguar.
Ever heard of "My Fair Lady" :loco:

:lol:

sol83 said:

Why are you pretending you don't get my point? I know it's fucking artificial the way I speak English, still, I can't help it because it's not Cockney or Glasgow English I have learnt. Anyway, I probably have my own Hungarian accent, at times British (or whatever, bloody BBC if you wish), at times American (or whatever, bloody CNN if you wish).

You don't have the means to buy a Jaguar, drop the idea :)

mind you, i can do that scottish accent! i'm trying to master my irish one now... it's kind of difficult though damn' it...

sol83 said:
mind you, i can do that scottish accent! i'm trying to master my irish one now... it's kind of difficult though damn' it...

I guess so. But I'm not gonna buy you any car or animal :p

And I'm happy with my Hungarian accent :) You know so few foreigners learn Hungarian that we always hurray when we find someone who seems to be interested. I think English speakers don't appreciate our efforts :)