I don't get it...

Great thread idea Mr. Gaines! The two biggies around these parts that I seem to be in the minority are:

1. Vanden Plas...I've really tried with these guys, but they just fall flat for me.

2. Ghost...Again, I've tried, but I just don't like it. I like watching them on stage for about 5 minutes, then I start yawning...sorry!

By the way Zod, you aren't the only one that feels like Slayer is awful, overrated, etc. I quite frankly have always thought they've sucked. I think they should be kicked out of the "Big 4" and Testament or Overkill should be brought in.

~Brian~

This is a cool thread. I think some of our confusion comes from the fact that most of us are very discerning musical tastes. A lot of specific things need to come together for us to say "BAM! That's aweseome!" Many of these bands have most if not all the elements we're attracted to, but not in the right quantity and combinations I guess.

Some of the bands at PPUSA that get a lot of attention, but I could watch a couple songs and then go mingle would be...

Epica - Start throwing the 'growling' vocals around and I lose interest. I like my singers to SING! It's ok to use as an emphatic element, but I'd rather see Simone front the whole thing with her dynamic range

Redemption - I think here, it's just a thing with the timbre of Ray's voice. don't get me wrong. He's awesome in his own regard, but despite my efforts and seeing them several times, there' been no 'WOW' moments for me

Edguy - Not my thing. Seems like they're trying to be 'Steel Panther light' or some shit

Therion - I'm pretty sure I have AADD...these guys are overload on mah brains

Pain of Salvation - Although I uphold Daniel as one of very few 'genius' in todays' prog-metal scene, I still lose them somewhere. I've wavered in and out of favor with them several times, sometimes even on the same album over the course of time. Perhaps I need to have a particular mood for them to strike a nerve.

Just a few off the top of my head...

I definitely think you guys have a support group for Anti-Slayer here. But, Brian to say they awful is a bit inaccurate. Not sure saying a band with an album that consistently ranks in the top 5 of best thrash albums ever is awful. Again, I am by no means saying Slayer's full catalog is good because it isn't. But the first 5 albums are great. First two being what they are early albums, but Reign In Blood is one of the most vicious metal records of all time. Nobody did the speed metal like that then. Plus Rick Rubin's production really pushed them way beyond everyone else at that time.

Hmmm... maybe we do have enough folks for a support group.

Haha! :lol: An Anti-Slayer support group, love it! Most people I would think are afraid to say they don't like Slayer for fear of bodily harm from the insanity that is a Slayer fan. But I agree with the other post that Reign In Blood is a masterpiece of pure brutality. Everything up to Seasons In The Abyss is classic IMO.

Haha! :lol: An Anti-Slayer support group, love it! Most people I would think are afraid to say they don't like Slayer for fear of bodily harm from the insanity that is a Slayer fan. But I agree with the other post that Reign In Blood is a masterpiece of pure brutality. Everything up to Seasons In The Abyss is classic IMO.

Agreed, but everything after that aside from "God Hates Us All" is booooring!

Slayer is a great group. It's important to put it into perspective though. The people that are saying they hate Slayer...you have to wonder how they'd feel about old Sodom, Kreator and Morbid Saint.

Agreed, but everything after that aside from "God Hates Us All" is booooring!

I LOVE God Hates Us All. One of my favorite Slayer albums. When I'm pissed off I just put on Payback and try and let off some steam :lol:

I actually also like Diabolus In Musica too believe it or not. Even with the Nu Metal influences. Go figure.

This one too. It actually makes me feel guilty not being a Fates fan. Is that weird?

Very Weird. ;)

Also, count me in on the No Slayer Group. I have respect for what they have accomplished and I saw them live once way back when and it was not enough to turn me into a fan.

Good thread btw. I would have several bands that fit the profile of: I should like them but just don't seam to all that much. The big stand out for me would be Pagans Mind. Oddly enough, I loved seeing them live and I think they are all top drawer musicians. Nils is a beast. But the songs just don't click for me to keep them in rotation. I want to like them Maybe one day it will click

Me as well; I'm not huge on Slayer either. As said by others, I respect what they do. I just find it unnecessary now in this period in time. They're old now; the whole "God Hates Us All" thing is a little played out to me.
People can say whatever they want about them being a great band, they have a few cool songs, but not enough to say "This band is awesome." And I'm pretty sure the songs I do like, other people don't really care about too much anyway.
Oh, and Kerry King isn't very good at guitar.

White Zombie comes to mind for me.Love Rob's solo stuff,but about the only song I listen to and actually like from WZ is "More Human Than Human".
Power Metal is my first love,but there are bands that I just don't listen to even though there isn't a real reason not to.
Maybe it's because I just don't have enough time in my day to keep finding new bands to "get into".It's to the point where finding 5 minutes for some "me" time is hard enough.Guess I'm getting too old and lazy:(

see for me it's the total opposite, I loved WZ, but when Rob went solo it was all programming and techno and no balls.

Slayer is a great group. It's important to put it into perspective though. The people that are saying they hate Slayer...you have to wonder how they'd feel about old Sodom, Kreator and Morbid Saint.
Can't say I'm familiar with any of it.

I was never big into Thrash, when Thrash was at its heights. I really wasn't exposed to it, and didn't seek it out. However, I was exposed to Slayer, at the same time as I was into Metallica, Megadeth, Overkill, Anthrax, etc. I found the vocals awful, the guitar playing boring and weak, and the lyrics silly. So, it's really not so much that they're bad at what they do. Clearly, they have a very special place in Metal. However, as the thread title suggests, I just don't get it.

Slayer is like a right of passage metal band. I came into Slayer on 'Hell Awaits' and before hearing that album I knew that this is the ultimate metal band (2nd to Grim Reaper of course). Slayer were the ultimate in evil and brutality and no one could come close to matching it, certainly not Metallica. Ok maybe Possessed did (my first ever delve into thrash). Slayer's aggression was perfect soundtrack for that time in my youth.

I guess some people just missed the Slayer thing, often tends to be the same guys who stay in a "safe" area of the metal realms; not to much aggression, no questioning authority, never stepping out of their comfort zone,and not too much rock with their roll.

Up until Nine, I would have said Circus Maximus.

A couple bands that I think are fairly enjoyable but just don't get the all the praise for; are Mastodon and Pagan's Mind. PM has put out some stuff i have enjoyed (mostly the last album) but I find most of their music average at best and complete DT worship at worst. Every Mastodon album I have heard has been enjoyable but nothing I usually get a tons of listens out of. But to hear people talk they are the second coming of Rush and the saviors of prog metal.

AC/DC

I love 70s hard rock/metal, Zeppelin is my favorite band of all time. Everyone assumes i love ACDC, but the truth is they are the most hated band on my list. They do nothing for me, not any songs. If im forced to listen to it, Bon Scott era is preferred because his vocals dont annoy me as much as Brian Johnson. And oh their unoriginal song writing, where their songs always follow the same pattern. Ughh they suck!

I guess some people just missed the Slayer thing, often tends to be the same guys who stay in a "safe" area of the metal realms; not to much aggression, no questioning authority, never stepping out of their comfort zone,and not too much rock with their roll.
LOL. Yeah... because listening to Slayer defines you as a man of danger. You would only be more badass if you moved to a small town and challenged the local reverend regarding their no dancing statutes. :loco:

LOL. Yeah... because listening to Slayer defines you as a man of danger. You would only be more badass if you moved to a small town and challenged the local reverend regarding their no dancing statutes. :loco:
:lol: I never "got" Slayer either. Just seemed too much of an attitude and not quite enough talent.

Nightwish
Crimson Glory
Mercyful Fate
Epica
Symphony X
Slayer

yeah... :-S That being said, I still will do everything I can to attend this year! \m/

I'm beyond in love with Ayreon, so at least I've got that.

:lol: I never "got" Slayer either. Just seemed too much of an attitude and not quite enough talent.

not enough talent??? they may have the best drummer in the world in their band...:eek: