Iconoclast reviews

Ugh... I am so sick of reading Symphony X reviews that mention Dream Theater or compare Symphony X to them. The two bands have never sounded anything alike!

They claim Iconoclast doesn't cater enough to the trademark passages and neo-classical roots of the band

That's disheartening.

By the way, the guy who wrote the 98/100 review is a complete dolt. Listen to some of this shit...

I took off a couple of points for an 11 minute song, which is just never acceptable in my book.

Why on earth would you review (or even listen to) a progressive metal album, then?! Do you have the attention span of a five-year old?! If you want your songs short and concise, go listen to Lady Gaga...

ICONOCLAST is the album where Michael Romeo starts being named in the same breath as guys like John Petrucci and Jeff Loomis.

I believe this is focusing on MJR's popularity and notoriety in the shredding world, not his skill level. It's just worded in an odd way.

Also, yet another set of reviews that only mentions MJR and Russ. These reviewers are so ignorant.

Has anyone seen any reviews for the full version of the album? These all seem to be for just the single-disc version, and I'd love to know more about those extra three tracks...

I don't think we'll see the 2 disc reviews until the album launches. I suspect that only the 1 disc version was / will be sent out for promo purposes, which in turn may have doubled as added protection of the 'full Iconoclast experience' should the album leak (which, for some frustrating reason it STILL hasn't..FUUUU).

...I never understood your sig. Do you mean to say that all metal is the same, therefore comparing two metal bands is comparing two essentially same things? I think pretty much everyone would disagree. If you didn't mean that, I apologise. What did you mean?

It means that all bands are differet, but that you can compare two things that are different. So in other words it's an argument against people who say something like "You can't compare this band and this band, they're too different". What would be the point in comparing two things that were the same?

And Symphony X and Dream Theater are fairly similar. More so in status than in sound (as two of the biggest bands in progressive metal), but I think people are kidding themselves if they say they sound absolutely nothing alike.

It means that all bands are differet, but that you can compare two things that are different. So in other words it's an argument against people who say something like "You can't compare this band and this band, they're too different". What would be the point in comparing two things that were the same?

Ah! I see, thanks for clearing that up! :)

Yeah, that never made any sense to me either. I enjoy music, I take inspiration from it, I play it, I write it...but to sit there and say "oh band X is/is not really like band Y because of A, B, and C" to me is probably one of the most colossal wastes of time I've ever heard of.

Whoever wrote that stupid line about Loomis/Petrucci needs to go get the Gigantour video and watch Romeo school both of them. No knock on Loomis/Petrucci because they play very well on their performances, but Romeo plays so effortlessly and with such efficiency it is no contest IMHO.

^ Exactly.

One of the things that amaze me about Romeo is that effortlessness. He really found and mastered that 'sweet spot' where he plays super fast and with great control and yet keep his hands very relaxed. Really reminds me of Shaw Lane, except that Romeo has a more relaxed right hand picking style. The other thing is that he's more than just a guitar player, the guy is truly gifted with orchestrations and long tracks that don't make you feel they're "long" at all.

And the point from "comparing" two bands would be...?

1. Its an intuitive way to point out influences of a band one may not find familiar from a band that they are familiar with.

2. It involves critical thinking, which is always good for you.

3. If it leads to criticism it is usually constructive. As long as its not "Bleh band A sucks because its not band B, im so narrow minded bleh bleh bleh."

:D

1. Its an intuitive way to point out influences of a band one may not find familiar from a band that they are familiar with.

2. It involves critical thinking, which is always good for you.

3. If it leads to criticism it is usually constructive. As long as its not "Bleh band A sucks because its not band B, im so narrow minded bleh bleh bleh."

:D

And the benefit of 1). is....?

2), fair enough

3) have you EVER seen this happen on a forum? I haven't. And I'm on a lot of music forums...

Hypothetically, had i just sat down and listened to the special edition of Iconoclast, i'd probably say something like the following:

The three tracks exclusive to the special edition are far from throwaway. In fact, i'd say two of them deserve a place on the single cd album above several other songs.

And Heretic: Amazing.