Iconoclast reviews

Not necessarily so. Tommy Emmanuel never learned to read music and nobody can doubt his ability.

Not to go off topic but I saw Tommy Emmanuel two nights ago in NYC, front row, for the third time. He is the best musician I have ever seen in my entire life, hands down. Got to chat with him outside his hotel for about 40 minutes and he is one of the kindest, most genuine people I have ever had the pleasure of speaking with.

Back on topic: I must say I am VERY impressed by the label's efforts to prevent this album from leaking. Here we are basically two weeks before release and not so much as a drop. Can't wait to drop the CD into my car stereo, park in some industrial dump (for the matching scenery of course) and blast this thing on 10!

"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"

Dramatic...pause.

"These go to eleven"

sorry,but I've got a question for american fans :How much SX are famous in USA.I mean ,in metal magazines, in gigs,on radio,how much they speak about them,because here in Italy also metal magazines if they write about prog metal
or power first comes Dream Theater or Stratovarius,I've never seen a magazine
with them in cover ,and that's a shame because when they come here there are so many fans .I remember seeing them supporting Stratovarius before headlining in "Odissey tour",i was angry seeing most fans were there for Stratovarius,and even Russell is a very underestimated singer for the press

sorry,but I've got a question for american fans :How much SX are famous in USA.I mean ,in metal magazines, in gigs,on radio,how much they speak about them,because here in Italy also metal magazines if they write about prog metal
or power first comes Dream Theater or Stratovarius,I've never seen a magazine
with them in cover ,and that's a shame because when they come here there are so many fans .I remember seeing them supporting Stratovarius before headlining in "Odissey tour",i was angry seeing most fans were there for Stratovarius,and even Russell is a very underestimated singer for the press

You're right. I'm in New York and honestly the last Symphony X show had the biggest turnout I've seen for them in the states so far...and even so that was about 1,900 people or so. I have seen SX in magazines I think, but never as a major story. That said, when I saw them on the Odyssey tour in 2003 they played a TINY venue in Brooklyn with maybe 150 people or so in the audience. So, they've obviously gained popularity and are getting bigger shows. It's ridiculous that it's taken this long for the US music world to realize how talented they are.

You're right. I'm in New York and honestly the last Symphony X show had the biggest turnout I've seen for them in the states so far...and even so that was about 1,900 people or so. I have seen SX in magazines I think, but never as a major story. That said, when I saw them on the Odyssey tour in 2003 they played a TINY venue in Brooklyn with maybe 150 people or so in the audience. So, they've obviously gained popularity and are getting bigger shows. It's ridiculous that it's taken this long for the US music world to realize how talented they are.

I was there at L'Amours back in 2003. Remember Russell bringing out his sword on stage during The Accolades? Romeo actually cut his hand on the guitar that night; now how METAL is that?

L'Amours might have been small but it was a staple for metal bands back in the day. Too bad it's gone now. Now Brooklyn just flat out sucks. LOL

Not being a fan of the band does not justify how useless, uninformative, not to mention arrogant that review is.

Describing the album as lacking emotion is in my opinion outright incorrect. Did he ever listen to "When All is Lost"?

Although never the personal cup of tea for yours truly-preferring instead the more Euro-centered melodies of a Masterplan or Elvenking-

Ew.

I was there at L'Amours back in 2003. Remember Russell bringing out his sword on stage during The Accolades? Romeo actually cut his hand on the guitar that night; now how METAL is that?

Ah yes, I remember that tour. I saw them in this little biker bar in Aurora, IL (I forget the name of the venue), and yeah, Russ definitely brought a sword on stage for the Accolade medley (I wish they'd do that medley again, it was awesome). There were probably 100 people there, and we were right up at the front of the stage. They played so many good tunes that night - Out of the Ashes, Egypt/Death of Balance, the Accolade medley... just awesome.

I saw them the following year at The Rave in Milwaukee, where they played the side room/bar, and played The Odyssey on this little tiny stage. It was incredible since they were so close, but I'm glad they've gotten more popular then they were and can at least play better venues now.

[QUOTE. It's ridiculous that it's taken this long for the US music world to realize how talented they are.[/QUOTE]

I think they have always been much bigger outside the US. I saw them here in Brasilia, Brazil 3 years ago, and there were over 1500 people in the audience.

[QUOTE. It's ridiculous that it's taken this long for the US music world to realize how talented they are.

I think they have always been much bigger outside the US. I saw them here in Brasilia, Brazil 3 years ago, and there were over 1500 people in the audience.[/QUOTE]

Yeah of course, I wasn't talking about their out-of-the-US standing because that wasn't what was asked. The guy asked about what's up here in America, so I answered his question :).

Ah yes, I remember that tour. I saw them in this little biker bar in Aurora, IL (I forget the name of the venue), and yeah, Russ definitely brought a sword on stage for the Accolade medley (I wish they'd do that medley again, it was awesome). There were probably 100 people there, and we were right up at the front of the stage. They played so many good tunes that night - Out of the Ashes, Egypt/Death of Balance, the Accolade medley... just awesome.

Yes definitely. Symphony X would do well to alternate between a maximum of 2 songs from PL in their new setlist. So much of their older material gets left by the wayside in their current sets and that is a shame. Unfortunately, them fairly mixing up their set probably won't happen. And I think the next time we will hear the Accolades will either be with a symphony orchestra or if they ever pen The Accolade III.

Symphony X would do well to alternate between a maximum of 2 songs from PL in their new setlist.

Amen to that. However, I think we both know that isn't going to happen.

I'd be happy if they played just two songs from PL - Domination and Babylon. The former is a great live tune, and the latter is one of the best songs on the album. As for the older tunes, you're right - the band neglects them far too much. However, as Jax said a while ago, they're only playing so many PL songs on this tour because they didn't have much time to rehearse other stuff, and they knew those songs the best. Not to mention, they are arguably easier to play than some of the older stuff...

Also, regarding The Odyssey (song), although everyone who calls themselves a Symphony X fan surely loves it, if given the choice between hearing that live or 25 minutes of other music from the same album, I'd pick the latter. It's been far too long since we've heard Wicked, Accolade II, King of Terrors, or Awakenings.

Awakenings is one of those songs that could really benefit with an orchestra IMO. Something never quite gelled when they did that one live for me(I think it was the way they used the keys); but I would still gladly like to hear it over the PL stuff. I wholeheartedly agree on The Accolade II and Wicked. Wicked is such a killer tune and GREAT live! Such a sick groove.

The Turning could be really good as well live methinks.

I really really wanna hear Pharaoh live and the last three songs off of TiO; but that will probably never happen.

And let's not even bring up The Edge Of Forever or A Winter's Dream.

Awakenings is one of those songs that could really benefit with an orchestra IMO. Something never quite gelled when they did that one live for me(I think it was the way they used the keys); but I would still gladly like to hear it over the PL stuff. I wholeheartedly agree on The Accolade II and Wicked. Wicked is such a killer tune and GREAT live! Such a sick groove.

The Turning could be really good as well live methinks.

I really really wanna hear Pharaoh live and the last three songs off of TiO; but that will probably never happen.

And let's not even bring up The Edge Of Forever or A Winter's Dream.

:worship:
It's as if I wrote this...I'm getting sentimental.