If Mort Divine ruled the world

Because the general media doesn't report on isolated, singular voices from the fringe commenting on perceived lapses in data gathering. There's no story here, there's one scientist's opinion.

He's not on "the fringe", he worked for NOAA for over 20 years, nearly half of the time in a supervisory position. Was even given an award.

http://sites.agu.org/leadership/leader/john-bates-2/

Meteorologist NOAA Boulder Climate Diagnostics Center (1988-1999),
Meteorologist NOAA Boulder Environmental Technology Laboratory (1999-2002)
Supervisory Meteorologist NOAA National Climatic Data Center (2002-2012)

NOAA Administrator’s Award 2004 for “outstanding administration and leadership in developing a new division to meet the challenges to NOAA in the area of climate applications related to remotely sensed data”

Edit: I'm pretty sure Dr. Bates isn't a "climate skeptic" or whatever. The point is that the institutions tasked with providing good data and analytics are not following the procedures put into place to ensure veracity, and apparently at least to a degree for political reasons.

Edit2: So someone is covering it, wonder if this will hit US headlines on Monday.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...rs-duped-manipulated-global-warming-data.html

Last edited:
the data and the projections have been off for decades now

bleh

Yea, pretty much. I remember taking an ecology class during my undergrad years where my professor would show graphs upon graphs showing predictions of dramatic climate change with respect to carbon emissions, ocean temps, ozone depletion, and other various factors and it seemed as though doomsday was rapidly approaching. Major changes would already have been noticeable to everyone by 2015, changes which in hindsight havent nearly occurred. I wasnt even the slightest bit skeptical of the data at the time, and was so compelled by the charts that I thought that anyone who denied the extremity of man-made climate change was a fool equivalent to evolution deniers, those who believe in a literal Noah's arc, UFO nutcases, etc.

It was only later that I dug a little deeper and realized how inaccurate the predictions have been, and how they keep changing as the years tick by and the past predictions prove to be exaggerated and unfounded. I think it would be foolish to completely deny the negative effects that mankind is having on the environment and earth's atmosphere, but I am definitely skeptical of the conclusions and extrapolations agreed upon by the scientific majority. It seems to me that the majority of the scientists have a case of the observer-expectancy effect, something that I have seen with frequency in my experience as a scientist in other fields (influenced sometimes by the necessity of funding). Most of these climate change scientists are environmentalists who have a vested interest in over-estimating mankind's effect on the planet. Scientists with findings and theories that are contrary to popular consensus are usually ostracized and discredited in all fields of science. I suspect that not all of this data is gathered honestly.

As far as where the truth closest lies, I dont know. What I do know is that given their past inaccuracies, I do not trust the majority consensus. The data shows temperature increases, damage to the ozone, and increased concentrations of CO2, but the real world effect over time is smaller than is claimed should be. The general public seems to put too much trust in the tenuous theories derived from this scientific data, that much is clear to me. Climate scientists seem to be quite the rotten bunch.

Double blind RCTs can help minimize the OEE, but it's not possible to do with everything and expensive even if you theoretically could.

I read a rebuttal of the Daily Mail article, but of course both the article and the rebuttal focused on the report rather than the process, which is what the whistleblowing is about. And this is why we can't have nice things.

This is excellent. I couldn't read the whole thing very closely, so I'm not clear on all the research. Overall parts of it really seem like a long time coming, such as this comment:

And here is the rub: the culturally shaped analytic/individualistic mind-sets may partly explain why Western researchers have so dramatically failed to take into account the interplay between culture and cognition.

It's one of the most obvious things in the world, to me, to say that culture shapes cognition, and vice versa. Crazy how old-fashioned notions of the organism/environment distinction still manage to creep in and unconsciously direct our assumptions.

I think @Einherjer would agree with a bunch of this, but the implications are that things like immigration are a problem for the very reasons the right is concerned with. It's also a problem for "spreading democracy".

And the reverse is also true. You can't simply drop a person from another culture in and expect them to simply conform. And the more people dropped in from a different culture the less likely conformity will occur. If you visit many places in the Southwest you'll find areas that are almost indistinguishable from Mexico.

I don't think we should drop people into new cultures and expect them to conform. This doesn't mean we can't offer assistance with acclimation, and I don't think it's an argument against cultural diversity or immigration.

Friend I actually respect shared this. Just, ugh. I asked him if he really believed it and he basically told me he barely knew who Milo is and hadn't ever watched any of his videos.

sgfsgf.png

I'm not even a fan of Milo much anymore (the gimmick wore off quick for me, meme/pop culture annoying bullshit) but God damn.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...s-coach-mike-macintyre-says-followed-protocol

this woman was abused 79 times...and still visited him to get abused for the 80th time!?

mind boggling

Have you ever read anything on the psychology of abuse? It's a horrifying relationship to be in, not only for the physical violence but because of the mental fantasies abuse victims construct about the abuser. It can be incredibly difficult for people in abusive relationships to leave them. This is obviously an extreme case.

still amazed how quickly the patronizing words come to your fingertips

yes, of course i've read on it. the extreme case is kind of the point of my post

still amazed how quickly the patronizing words come to your fingertips

yes, of course i've read on it. the extreme case is kind of the point of my post

It was a question. I don't assume that everyone has, nor absolutely needs to, read about abuse victims. The tone of your post was ambiguous, so I figured I'd ask if you were familiar at all with the psychological conditions/effects of being in an abusive relationship.

Friend I actually respect shared this. Just, ugh. I asked him if he really believed it and he basically told me he barely knew who Milo is and hadn't ever watched any of his videos.

View attachment 8796

I'm not even a fan of Milo much anymore (the gimmick wore off quick for me, meme/pop culture annoying bullshit) but God damn.

"One shot a medic two weeks ago at a protest". lmao, I love the ANTIFA definition of "medic": a person that assaults random people at public demonstrations, while wearing a red cross and calling the police when you get back what you dish out. He's referring to the University of Washington story, where a group of subhuman ANTIFA thugs assaulted a random Trump supporter and got upset that the Trump supporter was carrying.

I have varying respect for different types of liberals, and ANTIFA comes out at the very bottom. Every one of these guys deserves a bullet to the head.

Reactions: CiG
"One shot a medic two weeks ago at a protest". lmao, I love the ANTIFA definition of "medic": a person that assaults random people at public demonstrations, while wearing a red cross and calling the police when you get back what you dish out. He's referring to the University of Washington story, where a group of subhuman ANTIFA thugs assaulted a random Trump supporter and got upset that the Trump supporter was carrying.

I have varying respect for different types of liberals, and ANTIFA comes out at the very bottom. Every one of these guys deserves a bullet to the head.

Reactions: The Ozzman and CiG