if were to organize a festival in NY ...

lurch70 said:
i heard'em before ... good but forgetable

was in Williamsburgh tonight ... totally forgot to check out Warsaw, will do some during the week.

was funny as I had a few beers, sober though, and got pulled over at a check point ...

Cop: been drinking tonight?
me: no
cop: i smell alcohol
me: i doubt it
cop: I don't mean in the car, i mean on you guys
my friend: it's cold
cop: you sure, I smell alcohol
me: (laughing and obviously chewing a piece of gum I put in seconds before getting pulled over) no drinking tonight

:loco:
hahahhaha

back on topic a bit ... as I was just emailing back and forth with Negru picking his brain about how they get paid for shows ...

Mark, when you talk to your contact in MN, can you find out if the venue they rented is involved in promotions? if they pay anything for promoting the show as lets say as part of their weekly/monthly print advertising? ... or is just the promoter that does this?

Mark ... will do.

Went to the WARSAW tonight ... spoke with the manager of the place, Anton. An older gentleman that was skeptical about allowing any "crazy heavy metal bands" to play there. I squirmed my way in and got some answers though as well as his contact info.

- the place is booked solid Saturday nights well into the fall
- $4000 for an evening to rent it (venue alone)
- in house stage crew and others need to be paid extra
- security in house as well, paid extra
- 2 pretty large bars ... did not talk about how the bar revenue is split.
- venue itself holds 850 people ... but with all the secondary rooms for bar and hanging out ... it has a capacity of about 1200
- state of the art in house sound system (specs available if needed)

Overall a great place for a gig, but I think this is not the right neighbourhood. Way too residential ... I can forsee chaos here with the wrong crowd.

But you never know ...

Will keep looking.

I wouldn't worry much about Sat. nights in the fall...with Visas being a necessity, we're looking at sometime in 2006 to be honest.

That's good info though...another thing to consider in NYC is the involvement of unions. Makes everything more expensive than it should be. I really think we should look into Starland Ballroom in NJ. Capacity of 2,000+, but a superb venue, and still easily accessible from all major NE cities.

MadeInNewJersey said:
That's good info though...another thing to consider in NYC is the involvement of unions. Makes everything more expensive than it should be. I really think we should look into Starland Ballroom in NJ. Capacity of 2,000+, but a superb venue, and still easily accessible from all major NE cities.
Agreed. Beyond what you would have to deal with in regard to unions, your hotel costs, food costs, etc would all be significantly higher (which is why Glenn of ProgPower has never seriously considered NY).

Zod

well, the WARSAW is highly inlikely using union people, more like burly neighbourhood Polish guys.

never been to the Starland Balroom, but from what I see on their site, I cannot imagine the place being less then $10K a night.

Will try to find out more ...

MadeInNewJersey said:
lurch, any NYC venue HAS to use unions to load & unload gear; it's NYC union law, no way around it, not without greasing the right palms, and that's more expensive than the union labor itself.

you are probably right, not sure ...

I want to look into North Six as well in Williamsburgh ... although if Warsaw holds 850 and now having been to both places, I cannot imagine North Six holding more then 400-500

Will investigate Starland also ...

OK. I didn't read the entire thread yet, but I had to respond before I forgot what I was thinking.

1) Kreig is affiliated with Regimental Records? Kreig is FUCKIN' DEATH AND DARKNESS!

2) I bet Ultimate Metal could get involved with this whole thing. If not money-wise, we'd at least post ads all over the site.

3) East Coast bands would be my number one recommendation (and maybe I could sneak Watchmaker in . . . they contain NO core, and if you say otherwise I will cut your dick off with a rusty spoon.)

4) The more labels you can get involved the better. I really think labels like Willowtip, Southern Lord, The End, etc. would have a big interest in this. Anytime a label can get involved with a festival that doesn't have Metal Blade and Relapse written all over it, I bet they get pretty excited. Luckily Today is the Day isn't on Relapse anymore, so that's another band I'm going to vote for.:lol: Plust they have a BIG East Coast folowing.

5) I agree with getting bands that can really get the shit flying. Again . . . Watchmaker and Today is the Day are EXPERTS at this.:lol: But I'll support any other band that can bring a crowd and make them hurt each other.

6) I've NEVER seen a black metal band live in my life. If I'm flying all the way to the East Coast, I HAVE TO SE A BLACK METAL BAND. A festival with diversity would be much appreciated by me.

Nate The Great said:
6) I've NEVER seen a black metal band live in my life. If I'm flying all the way to the East Coast, I HAVE TO SE A BLACK METAL BAND. A festival with diversity would be much appreciated by me.

Yeah, get some good USBM. And yes, there is good USBM, assholes. :loco:

Why not just rent out a small shithole and let all the bands from RC support 1 major act? All the bands that names have been dropped like Cryptopsy for example. They aren't a band we jizz are pantaloons over. (Well for me atleast) Everyone's talking like a U.S Wacken is in the works. The whole point of this idea was to create a festival in RC's image was it not?

Noltem
Distorted Mind
Lethal
Three Sheets to the Wind
October Falls
Agalloch

Live from Joe's Grille & Bar \m/