If you are upset about Opeth signing to Road Runner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alcapoth said:
Geez man, you don't have to over-analyze the songs in order to enjoy them. Are you a greater fan just because you analyze the songs? Heh, you can ONLY like Opeth if you know everything there si to know aboutthem it seems. Just what the hell does that mean? That statement kinda disappoints me.

The thing is, i take music seriously. It's not really a casual interest. There are people who will consider opeth and System of a Down, or Mudvayne equals. That tells me they aren't really paying attention to what they are listening to. I don't want to discuss music with those kinds of people.

The Hubster said:
I've stated before, in a another thread, that while I dont like GR, I think what Opeth's success is doing for metal is good. It's becoming more accepted again, and this is a good thing for up and coming bands who would have had to stay deeply underground before.

So for that, I will say thumbs up to Mike and co.

As a free style rap album, Still Life sucks.

Mumblefood said:
The thing is, i take music seriously. It's not really a casual interest. There are people who will consider opeth and System of a Down, or Mudvayne equals. That tells me they aren't really paying attention to what they are listening to. I don't want to discuss music with those kinds of people.

Ok, with you saying this, I can see more where you're coming from. But still, I have nothing against the people who like Mudvayne and System of a Down (which I don't at all) but will also be into Opeth. That's what they like, so who am I to say what they should like or not? Whatever. In fact, a few of my buddies are into the above bands and one of them just told me he thinks Ghost Reveries is brilliant. He only owns Deliverance and Damnation, and now GR too.

Tastes differ, yes, but I too couldn't possibly understand how one can compare Opeth to bands such as slipknot, mudvayne, system of a down or any of those....

To me, a band such as Opeth is more in the leagues with Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin or King Crimson than that of any ofthose "metal" bands. And that's a VERY good thing.

Mumblefood said:
Dealing with faggots at shows. I don't want to hang out with 14 year olds who don't really know anything about metal and spout ignorance about it standing beside me in goth makeup when i am trying to enjoy some tunes. That's the biggest reason i dislike it. Plus i've gone to great depths analyzing the songs (on the first 5 albums anyway) to understand them, not only lyrically, but all else that is going on, and i can't stand talking to someone about it who's only responses is "yeah it's godly" or "yeah it rocks" or "mikael is a genius". I'm too old for Opeth now.

I'm 16 and I love Opeth. At the shows I've gone too I was listening and it was the OLDER people who were acting like dickheads (Opeth at SOTU or Dream Theater at Gigantour.) Don't generalize man.

Overall, I don't think Opeth signing to Roadrunner is a bad thing. The good thing about it is that Opeth will get better marketing, and more people can discover this one-of-a-kind band. Of course, marketing can be the enemy sometimes if you get too many cooks in the kitchen. The video for "The Grand Conjuration" is proof of that. That is NOT Opeth material at all. Hopefully, things will get better. I think they will.

If these little 14 year old kiddy metal fans start digging Opeth and the 10 minute song format, hell, it might make them re-evaluate their taste in music and thus save them from the eternal damnation of powerchords and rapping. They'll stick their newest hatebreed cd on and go teen angst crazy, but then they'll stick the opeth on and become enlightened, thanks Sweden.

The only thing that makes me upset about them signing to RR is the video that was released. I understand they get more exposure and all but what does it say about you if your music has to be edited so its more accessible??
And I can't wait to hear the reasoning around that one. I love the drums on GR more than any other album but as a whole it just doesn't have the same emotions as the others.

The record label SHOULD have stepped in and stop them from having that horribly shitty pic of the band inside tho. Man I REALLY hate that thing and I can honestly say I'm not trying to be a dick!

No one should even give a shit about the video or the recent photos taken. I know the band could careless about anything but the music they're making themselves. If Mikael had to get his pic taken in a swimming pool staying afloat with a ducky innertube, he'd probably careless...as long as the music didn't compliment that.

There is nothing that betrays a persons own horrifying insecurity more than forgetting that he or she listend to stupid fucking music once too. As if you came out of the vag singing The Moor.

I think the fact that people are bitching alot about it being RR is mostly bullshit. Especially the claims that this album isnt metal and the band selling out BUT...

I do have to realise whats bad about signing to RR. Filmclip was utter shit (calling it shit would be disrespect to the word shit), No Australian tours set, and that it starts the " OPETH SOLD OUT MANN !!! THEIR NOT METAL NOW!!!~111 " craze which is really annoying.

Although id prefer the band to be signed to another label in some respect I am happy for the guys to be getting some $$ PARTICULARY after GR is now my favorite album.

At a total look at it, their music has just gotten a whole lot better since Deliverence, and they will get the $$ they deserve.

Sounds good to me.... :Spin:

What I hate about Roadrunner ist this "let everyone buy the album and when everyone buyed it, release an enhanced deluxe edition, so we will gain lots of money"

Mumblefood said:
Dealing with faggots at shows. I don't want to hang out with 14 year olds who don't really know anything about metal and spout ignorance about it standing beside me in goth makeup when i am trying to enjoy some tunes. That's the biggest reason i dislike it. Plus i've gone to great depths analyzing the songs (on the first 5 albums anyway) to understand them, not only lyrically, but all else that is going on, and i can't stand talking to someone about it who's only responses is "yeah it's godly" or "yeah it rocks" or "mikael is a genius". I'm too old for Opeth now.

Hey come on man, lighten up. I started listening to extreme metal when i was 13 and went to my first gig at 14. I am 30 now and still go to metal gigs. Are you really saying that i should never have gone to gigs at that age?
People have to start somewhere, you dont suddenly acquire all knowlege about a band in a few hours.

Perhaps security staff should give exams to all that come to opeth shows before they come in.....

Being pretentious about music tastes and knowlege is very dull. Unfortunately, this is rife within most genres of music.

You know I too got scared by the prospect of Opeth signing RR... Not really that I believed they will interfere with their music, 'cause I've been an Opeth fan for far too long to believe they would let them... It's just that I hoped for another DVD in the nearby future, and we all know that thanks to their label skipping Lamentations could'nt cover material from all the albums...

As I've said somewhere before, I can understand people don't like GR (although IMO it's their best!) but I think it's pathetic that they put the blame on them signing to RR... And it's even more pathetic (but all too often...) when it goes the other way around: they don't like it BECAUSE it's been released by RR... And like I said before, even if they recorded Morningrise for RR, they wouldn't like it... I hope to see none of yer bitchin' fags!!!

this thread seems like some people are bitching and others tell them to stop bitching
seems rather pointless. those little 14 year old kids know nothing about metal(maybe it's true) but it's only because they're not mature enough and haven't heard enough music in their lives.those of us who loved metal at 14 were just the same and the 20-30 year olds didn't like them because they don't know anything.I myself was very into swedish music when I was 14(ABBA and Ace of Base) pathetic, maybe.but I discovered progressive at 16 and here I am loving death metal.
what I'm trying to say is that in 7 years or so and 3 or 4 opeth albums from now those 14 year olds will be the hardcore opeth fans and you'd be 1 step closer to a middleage man with 2.4 kids and no time for metal.It's just the order of the universe.Accept it.

I would rather have two versions of GR to buy than none at all. Plus, you don't have to buy all the versions. Just buy the album. No one is forcing you to pick up every edition. "The fans get screwed!" How? You are making the purchase... If anyone is screwing anyone, you are screwing yourself for buying something you don't want. If you do want it...what's the problem?

Porcupine Tree are not on RR and they released several versions of Deadwing. There was the official UK release, the US release with different bonus tracks, the red, black and most recently blue vinyl with different bonus tracks than the CDs, there was the DVDA with even different bonus tracks than all of the before mentioned versions and finally there was the special limited edition hardback set with 70 page booklet that contained the UK album and an even different edition of the DVDA. Now are they purposfully screwing the fans? Jesus how many times has SW remixed a previously released album, deleted the original mix and then reissued it. Casual fans can just buy the standard albums, for collectors a band like Porcupine Tree is a great hobby. I actually wish there was more Opeth stuff out there, particularly a reissue of the BP vinyl and the Deliverance vinyl that wasn't a picture disc so that it could match the Damnation album. In fact, a triple vinyl set with the Damnation and Deliverance albums reunited at last would be pretty cool...with Damnation on white vinyl......or some more 7 inches like the SDBTS/II....in fact, an Atonement 7inch would rock....actually...what I'd really dig is a Lamentations picture disc. Just the audio natch. Or some other live shows....this could go on and on...

Austin said:
I would rather have two versions of GR to buy than none at all. Plus, you don't have to buy all the versions. Just buy the album. No one is forcing you to pick up every edition. "The fans get screwed!" How? You are making the purchase... If anyone is screwing anyone, you are screwing yourself for buying something you don't want. If you do want it...what's the problem?

Yeah, maybe you're right. And i was a bit disapointed, because i read about the deluxe edition after i purchased the regular one. Maybe it has some additional stuff which makes it really worth the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.