What would upset you more...?

S4R

gooey
Sep 7, 2001
.il.us
If your favorite band sold out; meaning they drastically changed their music to get recognition from the masses and/or took on some kind of distinct image for profit, would you be more upset with the fact that they changed their music (i.e. possibly dumbing it down) or would it upset you more that they would probably be laughing all the way to the bank?

For myself it is a little of both, but much more so the former. Call me crazy, but money isn't the most important thing in the world as I see things. I would be more upset that my favorite band conformed to what some suit thought would get on TRL. However, I would not mind being rich, but I would not become what I detest to become rich.

I think I would feel betrayed most of all :cry: The money wouldn't piss me off, I mean if they became hugely popular without changing their style I wouldn't care. If however they changed their music for money it would suggest to me incinsertity, narcicism, and I would be very pissed off! But hopefully Opeth will never do that :)

i have no problem with the money thing. i would LOVE for opeth to be rich, because i think they deserve it for all the joy they've brought to people. i'd be more concerned about the music.

if opeth started wearing boiler suits i would be pissed off but as long as they keep the music the same im not bothered with image, if i was bothered with image i probably wouldn't be listening to most bands i do now. hope nothing changes though.

Yeah, i would only be really pissed if they seriously changed their music for the "pop" audience.
Lol can u imagine opeth doing a backstreet boys type song? hahahaa

Of course if they changed the music I'd care , but I bet you all would quickly get over it if Opeth started to suck . You say you don't , but the first month after a new cd you'd be like " ahhh damn I wish they didn't change , I loved that part of this song and the way they used to use death vocals" but after a while you'd be like " Oh well , just another awesome deadly band gone down the drain " and you'd find something else to love .

You may hate me for sayin that but after the pain went away and people stopped commiting suicide you'd get over it .

Katatonic289 that's exactly what I was thinking when I posted a reply to that Long Songs thread :D
Can't you just imagine Opeth doing some little dance routine at the MTV awards? :lol:
I'd love to see that hahaha. They'd all be wearing silver jump suits or something and bopping along to the music :D

ha ha ha. All of Opeth with short, spikey, bleached hair. And they have guest appearances by eminem and dr dre. :lol:

If the "sell-out" music sucked IMO, I wouldn't listen to the new stuff much (ie. Metallica). I'd still listen to the "good" music, but would resent the fact that they chose money over their fans (although I'd probably do the same, seeing I like material things and I need money to get them):)

Katatonic289 that's exactly what I was thinking when I posted a reply to that Long Songs thread
Can't you just imagine Opeth doing some little dance routine at the MTV awards?
I'd love to see that hahaha. They'd all be wearing silver jump suits or something and bopping along to the music

and then everyone would rush out to buy the "new Opeth single!!"

Originally posted by godisanathiest
I think I would feel betrayed most of all. :cry: The money wouldn't piss me off...it would suggest to me insincerity, narcissism...
Yes. I feel the same way because I'd feel like I understood, to a point, of what they were about. When I read the interviews I feel like I know more of what they want to do with their music and where they hope it takes them. To see them come to this would just break my heart. :cry:

I do, however, wish Opeth all the wealth in the world.

"Surrounding skies are one, (whooOO!) torn apart by the phenomena of lightening."