If you are upset about Opeth signing to Road Runner

Status
Not open for further replies.
what the hell are you guys talking about?
@austin: who are you dude? like the hubster said on the first page, you destroyed any credibility you ever had with your first post. so, what you're saying is it's wrong to "bitch" about our negative feelings regarding opeth's direction but it's ok for you to claim "kids" are unenlightened "fags"? it would probably strengthen any argument you try to present here if you offered everyone the same voice you offer yourself.

this is an issue i've noticed with virtually everyone here. when it suits them, other people are "fags" or "stupid fecken mallcore kids" for wearing In Flames shirts or listening to Cradle of Filfth. now, whith a higher probability that the same "mallcore kids" are wearing opeth shirts, it's "maybe it will save them from listening to shit!" or "opeth didn't sell out just because their LABEL forced kids to wear their shirts!"
which is it?
the bottom line is that virtually all of you who don't like our negative opinions maintain nearly zero consistency. this forum, in fact, is a model of hypocrisy.

Sullen Jester said:
Holy FUCK. HOLY ASS FUCKING FUCK.

Jude, you ARE pretending to be stupid, aren't you? I'm not usually one for flames, but this thread is one steaming pile of SHIT. STUPID SHIT. Do you even READ Mumblefood's replies before you destroy them with your obviously superior intellect? He makes a point, you question it, he reinforces the point, and you just ignore it?

What he's been saying in almost every post in this thread is that having those retards quite significantly DETRACTS from the experience. I'm not much of a headbanger, so when I saw Opeth, I was happy to have a seated ticket. My friend Jonno, for example, had a ticket at the front of the venue, and along with almost everyone (the seated people, too) was headbanging like a demon. All of them, except to one guy next to him. Having one person stand still amidst a sea of headbanging metalheads is NOT conductive to a good time. Just the same as having some retard goths (and yes, I am aware of what I'm calling everyone - I'm flaming for a change and I hope you enjoy it) destroy excellent moments by being evil and strange and moping about shit.

I used to be "anti-elitist" like you cunts a few years ago, and one day I was so bored I found myself in a chatroom. Some people were talking about music, so I decided to ask them about some metal. Invariably, the question "have you guys heard Opeth?" popped up, and some positive replies came along. I was thinking "oh, this will be great - I'll post this chat log on the forum and show those elitist fags that people who listen to alternative or nu-metal can still enjoy Opeth". When asked what they liked about it, "Oh hay its so heavy1!``1one!" "omg I hart haervest" "its liek teh hveavy bands1!". Its like looking at a forest and saying "hay, its green, lols." If I were writing and releasing music at Opeth's previous standards, I would QUIT having read comments like that.

Now, I won't deny that Mumblefood has been a good friend of mine for the past 4 years - that isn't why I'm posting here. I'm not coming to save the day by flaming people so he can feel better. I KNOW he is an elitist, but we have to look at what he's so elitist about. It's not that we just sit here, and listen to Orchid and Morningrise all day, then throw on some Darkthrone for good measure. I've seen PART of his music collection (his 'travel case' consists of many, many hundreds of CD's) and I know firsthand that his musical tastes include more than just extreme metal. It's not so much a case of liking a certain genre, or a style of execution; its liking music that isn't shit.

:shrug: I hate it when idiots and douchebags show up at things I'm trying to enjoy too. But I'm not going to let that ruin a concert or my enjoyment of a record. And more than that, I hate it when longtime fans of a band think they're somehow better than people who have just gotten into the band. This happens with all types of music, as I was saying in another thread, where you get Pink Floyd fans acting superior to people who wear The Wall and Dark Side t-shirts. For some reason, people like to think they're better people or more sophisticated or whatever because they've liked a band longer. Instead of welcoming new fans (which you would expect...most people, when they like a band, tell people about it and try to create new fans) they act all snobbish and look down on them. And worst of all, they stereotype all new fans as idiots (preferably 14-year old idiots, implying that all new fans only like the band because it's trendy to) which is downright stupid.

If you really think you're a better person because you've liked Opeth for years and if you think new fans are all trend-hopping idiots, then I really couldn't care less what you think. If you actually don't think that and I just misinterpreted your post, then maybe this can be an intelligent discussion.

Edit: And to all the people slagging Opeth for 'getting commercial' or better yet, 'sounding commercial'...Jesus Christ. 'Commercial' is not a musical style. One can only assume that you mean 'sounds like the typical mainstream band' which is stupid because 1. GR doesn't and 2. The Beatles, Black Sabbath, and Iron Maiden, among many others, are/were all 'mainstream' and 3. 'mainstream' is not always bad, and if you think so you're being closed-minded.

MetalManCPA said:
Many years ago I came to the conclusion that in my circle of life, there isn't really anybody to discuss the beauty of music with. The interpretation of something artistic is a very individualistic thing, and I don't expect anybody else to feel as I do about a particular song or band. I know there are people like me who exist (a few from this and past forum days), but that's about it.

It is great that there are people who are thinking the same like me. I have the same attitude towards music like you.

Well and i agree with the hubster, even if am still younger than 30 years. I think for some music bands you need a certain maturity to understand music and i think this happens when you're about 17 years old.
Once i talked with an 13-year old guy, listening to Slipknot and SOAD and that stuff, and he said he liked Opeth. I asked him a few things and i recognized that that guy just listens to the music in a complete superficial way without realizing the depth and the beauty of the music.
Well, i know, that sounds kind of arrogant or whatever, but i become very serious when it's about music. And i think this forum has a lack of seriousity.
Look at the Katatonia/Bloodbath or Novembers Doom forums. There are great people who talk about the music itself. They write down their thoughts and the feelings which occur when they listen to the music. I hoped that the Opeth forums would be like that after the reopening, but i am pretty disappointed.

The Hubster said:
So why do I keep posting here? Because I keep my fingers crossed thinking I might come across some like-minded, open-minded, intelligent and artistic thinkers who like to share aforementioned thoughts.

youre looking for poeple who AGREE with you

people who overanalyse to the point of suffocation in order to justify their own existence.

*yawn*

listen to Opeth

or don't

meh

dorian gray said:
the bottom line is that virtually all of you who don't like our negative opinions maintain nearly zero consistency. this forum, in fact, is a model of hypocrisy.

if you worry about who else is listening to opeth you're an idiot

if you worry about 14 year olds wearing opeth shirts you're an idiot

if you worry about which record label they are on you're an idiot

this thread showcases nothing but people who somehow think they are owed something because they listen to Opeth.

thats not about music

if anything anyone else does can effect the enjoyment of listening to a piece of music then you're an IDIOT

123=7 said:
Look at the Katatonia/Bloodbath or Novembers Doom forums. There are great people who talk about the music itself. They write down their thoughts and the feelings which occur when they listen to the music.

haha

they need to get out more

The Mighty Jazrodian said:
if anything anyone else does can effect the enjoyment of listening to a piece of music then you're an IDIOT

Rethink this, because you know that is how music works. you Almost had a point, but then lost it right here.

The Mighty Jazrodian said:
haha

they need to get out more

I hate how when someone takes music seriously and discusses it seriously, people (the same ones that call everyone else elitists) end up calling them losers, and that they need to get a life, like taking music seriously is a sin or is something only someone without a life would do. Some people's lives are about music. Those people were the Opeth fans of pre-2000. the Opeth fans of 2005 are the ones who, oddly enough, think you are a loser if you think very seriously about the music you listen to.

Jude said:
If you really think you're a better person because you've liked Opeth for years and if you think new fans are all trend-hopping idiots, then I really couldn't care less what you think. If you actually don't think that and I just misinterpreted your post, then maybe this can be an intelligent discussion.

I never said I'm better for having liked Opeth longer. A lot of bands (assuming they're not clones of another) can take a while to properly "get into" or understand, but when someone becomes an "instant fan" because they heard this one song and it was heavy and there was this guy and he was grunting and they had this drummer who was fast and yeah man. Thankfully, they're not ALL retard hxc kids, who go to shows and put people in hospital (anyone got a link for that older gentleman who was defeated by hxc kids with steelcap boots and brass knuckles, etc., went to hospital with significantly less eyesight and lung capacity?). Still, it is kind of funny to see a bunch of youngin's in black, black and more black, with the mandatory face paint, going to see Opeth, who wear jeans, shirts, and spend very little (if any) time crying in the corner.

Trend hopping just irritates me to begin with. I know I'm not the only one who admits to that. My point is really about the maturity of the "new" listeners and their take on the music, 123=7 pointed out an experience which basically mirrors mine:

123=7 said:
Well and i agree with the hubster, even if am still younger than 30 years. I think for some music bands you need a certain maturity to understand music and i think this happens when you're about 17 years old.
Once i talked with an 13-year old guy, listening to Slipknot and SOAD and that stuff, and he said he liked Opeth. I asked him a few things and i recognized that that guy just listens to the music in a complete superficial way without realizing the depth and the beauty of the music.

I would stop producing music if the only critique I recieved was along the lines of "omg! so heavy11!1111!1`one1~!" or "this rox the bockes!1!elevenl1!1`". It's like writing puzzle books in archaic Danish. For the blind. Opeth could have just taken HALF of the first riff of Masters Apprentice and looped it for the duration of the disc, and theres a good chance* of them getting the same reaction from a lot of the new style fans:

"OMg! dis be heavy, arr!"

Okay, I know they're not pirates, but for the most part, they can't even spell that well. As for Opeth, though, I think the first five albums are truly excellent. The ones since BWP have failed to meet the standard; they're good, but not-that-good. There are a lot of good moments in them, but there are also not-good moments. Signing to Road Runner doesn't really bother me, I mean, my TV isn't plugged in to anything other than my computer, and I never listen to radio, and I spend most of my time alone (I'm waiting for a comment on that one...), so its not like I'm about to be bombarded by Opeth advertisements.

*Generalisation, I know.

Some people started to listen to metal because they were underground...and Metal isint that much underground anymore...If Opeth gets a big deal with Sony, why would it bother? Its still Opeth, they just get more freaking money..now they are with RR, and what does that change? More money for the band and as good music for us! If a guy half my age comes up to me with the same shirt as me, i'll be happy to see it aint everybody that is into god damn hip hop

dorian gray said:
what the hell are you guys talking about?
@austin: who are you dude? like the hubster said on the first page, you destroyed any credibility you ever had with your first post. so, what you're saying is it's wrong to "bitch" about our negative feelings regarding opeth's direction but it's ok for you to claim "kids" are unenlightened "fags"? it would probably strengthen any argument you try to present here if you offered everyone the same voice you offer yourself.

this is an issue i've noticed with virtually everyone here. when it suits them, other people are "fags" or "stupid fecken mallcore kids" for wearing In Flames shirts or listening to Cradle of Filfth. now, whith a higher probability that the same "mallcore kids" are wearing opeth shirts, it's "maybe it will save them from listening to shit!" or "opeth didn't sell out just because their LABEL forced kids to wear their shirts!"
which is it?

Who the fuck am I? Who the fuck are you Dorian? Nice name by the way, you come up with that yourself on a dark winters night in your castle?

There are tons of fags out there that listen to metal (for example, you), all I ever said was it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the band. Nor does the label they're on.

Now how about your post. Let's take a look at that. Everyone who doesn't like your "negative" opinion "maintains nearly zero consistancy"? Where is the inconsistancy. I never said you cant say some goth kid in a mall is gay, I just think its fucking childish to let their taste in music dictate yours. That's it.

And by the way, here is a little logical inconsistancy of your own, if you hate GR or are so down on Opeth, why the fuck are you wasting the little time you've been given posting bi-daily on their message board?

Mumblefood said:
I don't usually say this, but i seriously think you need to be banned. Far too angry, far too agressive, and far too ignorant. You haven't really done anything yet but cause trouble. I'm reporting you.

Oooo

Austin said:
Who the fuck am I? Who the fuck are you Dorian? Nice name by the way, you come up with that yourself on a dark winters night in your castle?
http://www.google.com.au/search?q=dorian+gray :err:

Austin said:
I never said you cant say some goth kid in a mall is gay, I just think its fucking childish to let their taste in music dictate yours. That's it.
The audience usually reflects the band.

Austin said:
And by the way, here is a little logical inconsistancy of your own, if you hate GR or are so down on Opeth, why the fuck are you wasting the little time you've been given posting bi-daily on their message board?
LOLZ CUZ MAYBE OPETH RELEASED OTHER ALBUM OTHER THEN GHOST REVERIES.

Why don't you go back to whatever Slipknot forum you came from.

you should all kill yourselves.

it is obvious I am the only worthy person of being called a tr00 opeth fan. The elitists are a bunch of queers. And you noob fans are fucking annoying.

close this forum.

Enough. Opeth have nothing against you expressing legitimate, opinions, but when the place turns to a slander-fest, it's gone too far. Personal insults are not tolerated on here, and I'd recommend any opinion be sustantiated, not blurted out in a hostile manner.

Any personal attacks from here on will be reported, and permanent bannings recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.