If you could hear SymX cover one song....

Originally posted by Soul of Ice

For a song to done the traditional way i would say i dont know...maybe a whole album of covers from the first symphony x album!

Hell yea!! Great idea, I don't think we will ever see it happening :(

Btw Jag Panzer is re-recording some of their early clasics. I can't wait to hear that!

There some incredible songs I'd kill to hear Symphony X play.

Roads to Madness (Queensryche)
Powerslave (Iron Maiden)
Ivory Gate of Dreams (Fates Warning)
Infinite Dreams (Iron Maiden)
Hallowed Be Thy Name (Iron Maiden)
The Sleep (Pantera)
Learning To Live (Dream Theater)
Prelude To Ruin (Fates Warning)

too many to list... but I can dream.

Originally posted by blackstaRR
Do you know that Evergrey and Hammerfall have both made cover versions of Rising Force? Especially Evergrey's dark atmospheric sound fits excellently to that. Hammerfall's version is also nice. So probably Symphony X shouldn't cover that, though that's one of Yngwie's best.
I'd like to hear Symphony X play Fates Warning's Monument, Island in the Stream, Trough Different Eyes or Point of View. I suppose Fates Warning has influenced S X quite much, 'cause FW is one of the real original prog metal bands.

I don't know, I thought the Hammerfall one sucked ass. Evergrey is kinda decent, but still not quite the right thing, so I see no reason why they shouldn't cover it. I think their version would own any of the covers done before.

peace

Maybe your opinion would differ if you heard Evergrey's one. I suppose it's available somewhere in the net, check it out. Anyway I agree that Symphony X could do an enjoyable version of Rising Force, I really won't have anything against it if they would.

Why do so many people want SyX to cover songs that were done well by other bands? The true idea behind covering a song is to take one from a totally different genre, era, whatever, and make it modern. Here are a few examples of classic covers:

Van Halen - You Really Got Me
Disturbed - Shout
Judas Priest - Diamonds and Rust (the live version, of course)

All of those are examples of why and how a cover should be done. To say they should cover something from Malmsteen or any of these other bands is kind of redundant. I think Malmsteen "I'll See the Light Tonight" is a true metal classic! Why screw with it.

The only song I saw here that might be interesting with an updated sound would be "Carry on Wayward Son" (although that by itself is still a great song not needing any work). Bohemian Rhapsody is interesting but there's no room to work there.

Here's a thought... Let's let SyX keep coming up with their own classics and leave the cover tunes to the bands who need them! Ha ha. Just kidding.

Originally posted by †Russel Allen†®
Riot in the Dungeons (Malmsteen)
*thanx for the advice...

I may be wrong but I thought I remember you saying you hated Malmsteen? Just thought it would be wierd that you picked SX to cover his songs if you hated him :err:

Originally posted by blackstaRR
Maybe your opinion would differ if you heard Evergrey's one. I suppose it's available somewhere in the net, check it out. Anyway I agree that Symphony X could do an enjoyable version of Rising Force, I really won't have anything against it if they would.

I don't think you read my last post clearly. I have A Guitar Odyssey- Tribute to Yngwie Malmsteen cd, therefore I've heard the Evergrey's version. I like it, the vocalist even sounds a bit like JLT, it's just that I feel SyX could do better.
There. :)

You're right, I didn't read it clearly. Btw I've listened that tribute once trough. Evergrey kicks ass, other tracks are quite terrible. I mean the original versions are naturally much better, except that Evergrey's one, which is as good as the original, if there's any point of comparing the original and the cover version.

That's why I, for the most of part, don't purchase tribute albums. The only tribute album that is worth mentioning is Holy Dio and maybe the Judas Priest one.

Beneath The Howling Stars - Cradle of Filth
Phantom Of The Opera Ghost - Iced Earth
Transylvania - Iron Maiden
Mirror Mirror - Blind Guardian
Iced Earth - Iced Earth

Originally posted by The Yngster
I may be wrong but I thought I remember you saying you hated Malmsteen? Just thought it would be wierd that you picked SX to cover his songs if you hated him :err:

:rolleyes:

I DO hate Mr. Malmsteen, but this song rocks, I even recorded a cover of this song myself!!

Now, do not misunderstand me... I think that all that nonsense virtuosis of Mr. Malmsteen is a freakin' pain in the ass, and it bores me too deep!

But this song, Riot, is a masterpiece!

And it would be even great behind SyX's talent!!

I've seen QR mentioned twice now in this thread, so hey Russell, if your ever out in the LA area (when your not on tour) and wanna sit in on a few QR tunes, we'd love to have you..

Not that our singer isn't great, (he's an excellent tate clone) but man, I soo dig Russell's voice.. it's just amazing... and it would be a total blast doing QR with Russell singing it. :)

Nick
Prophecy
http://www.queensrychetribute.com

Originally posted by †Russel Allen†®
Cowboys from Hell (PanterA)
Stand Alone (Iced Earth)
Bright Eyes (Blind Guardian)
Gargoyles, Angels of Darkness (Rhapsody)
Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen)
Gates of Babylon (Rainbow*)
Riot in the Dungeons (Malmsteen)
Rebellion in Dreamland (Gamma Ray)

And some other songs from Iron Savior... Those would be great in Allen's voice...

*thanx for the advice...

I think your selection of songs is interesting. Althought ive never really thought of anyone doing a cover song for Rhapsody especialy Gargolyes, Angels of Darkness. I mean i dont think it would be the same without the Heavy Italian Accent in it. I also dont think Symphony X actualy has listen to anything by Rhapsody. On a Unrelated note what does Luca Turillis new album sound like i wanna know what "Symphonic Cosmic Metal" is :lol: i dont particularly like Olafs singing but i do think he is good when his voice is deep and Luca couldnt have Fabio singing in the solo band because that would be Rhapsody2 instead of a solo. Damnit im ranting about Rhapsody oh well :p HAIL RHAPSODY! to all non Rhapsody fans!
jerkoff.gif

My choice after Icarus / Borne on Wings of Steel, I would like to hear them do a cover of the song "The Sound of Music".

You're laughing..I'm SERIOUS! I can hear it in my mind quite well the places they could take a song like this one. :)