In Defense of Nevermore...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael TEOF

Master Whorebot
Mar 4, 2002
Schaumburg, IL
www.myspace.com
I'm reading a lot of posts here discussing how lame their Gigantour performance was. And it was indeed lame.

However, I have seen Nevermore 3 times. And while, I'd rather have Nevermore replace Mercenary's slot and put a band like Rhapsody in the headliner spot, I have no problem with the way things turned out.

The last time I saw them was with Opeth at the House of Blues in Chicago. Their sound was PERFECT, far better sound then any band I heard out of Prog Power. Nevermore only played 4 or 5 songs, but all were with studio quality sound. I've never seen Nevermore play longer than a 5 song set, so a 15 song set should definately hit the spot... the band just has to be cognisant of the fact that many at this venue will have already seen the band and will be wanting something a little extra.

Perhaps this post would be better on a Nevermore forum, but anybody with any power of influence on Nevermore's performance may want to read my suggestions.

1.) Do not open with the song "Born"; it does not sound good live and I've heard them open with it far too many times... surprise us for God Sake :)

2.) Warrel must lose the lame stocking cap. He takes it off when he's not singing (and headbangs) and puts it on when he opens his mouth, as if it gives him magic singing powers.

3.) Purposefully DISCLUDE songs the band has played on recent tours and replace them with other classics. Nevermore have many strong albums; so this wouldn't be a problem.

4.) Research into whatever the House of Blues in Chicago does to get their excellence out of their sound boards. I've been to many shows, and for some reason, that venue gets it right. While the Prog Power soundmen get it better than most venues, there are clearly better out there. And Nevermore with muddy inaudible sound (the kind where you can't make out guitar solos or riffs or any vocal lines) would ruin their performance terribly.

The Michael

Oh lord almighty, they got list of demands now..this is by far the lamest Prog Power discussion ever, not including the seating arrangements thread a while back.

corvinus said:
Oh lord almighty, they got list of demands now..this is by far the lamest Prog Power discussion ever, not including the seating arrangements thread a while back.

Yeah man, totally. That discussion was completely ridiculous.

Get off your high horse already... they are just suggestions and this is no different than what we talk about in other posts.

How you read that this was a list of "demands" is beyond me. Besides, I was defending the band and reassuring those that were disappointed in their Gigantour performance need not worry.

If the post offends you, simplydon't reply. And if it really offended anyone other than a Nevermore fanboy, it'd have been deleted already.

Yeah, I don't think he did any demands dude, it was just a suggestion.

Although I think Born should be used to open and the cap doesn't look bad. I actually had the same cap on last time I practiced/sang with my band haha!

Michael TEOF said:
I'm reading a lot of posts here discussing how lame their Gigantour performance was. And it was indeed lame.
Saw them on this tour in NJ, front row, dead center, and they f**king slayed.

Michael TEOF said:
Do not open with the song "Born"; it does not sound good live...
I'd agree that this would be a bad choice for an opener at PP, but not at all because of sound quality issues. I think this isn't a song that's going to win people over, due to its sheer brutality. Additionally, I would recommend to people who are new to Nevermore, to either skip this track and doubleback to it, or at least make sure you approach it with lyric sheet in hand. It is clearly their most brutal song, and not representative of their catalog. That said, it does has one of the greatest, most melodic choruses of all time.

Zod

1.) Do not open with the song "Born"; it does not sound good live and I've heard them open with it far too many times... surprise us for God Sake :)

2.) Warrel must lose the lame stocking cap. He takes it off when he's not singing (and headbangs) and puts it on when he opens his mouth, as if it gives him magic singing powers.

3.) Purposefully DISCLUDE songs the band has played on recent tours and replace them with other classics. Nevermore have many strong albums; so this wouldn't be a problem.

I couldn't disagree more with your "suggestions". "Born" is an excellent song, and I'd love to hear it live, opening the set or not. Warrel can wear whatever he damn well pleases; it doesn't affect his singing, like you said, so why should you care what he wears on stage? And, I haven't seen them since the last album came out, so I want some songs from that.

I actually like the song "Born", it just doesn't work well as an opener for me for some reason. Its like sex without any foreplay. I feel like she's strapping on a dildo and attacking me from behind without warning. Had the band even did a 15 second intro track to add some tension, that'd have been much cooler.

I think I just want them to open with the flatline machine into "Beyond Within" :headbang:

There are so many great songs by Nevermore, I don't think I'd be satisfied with everything, even from an hour 1/2 set.

The Michael

Michael TEOF said:
4.) Research into whatever the House of Blues in Chicago does to get their excellence out of their sound boards. I've been to many shows, and for some reason, that venue gets it right. While the Prog Power soundmen get it better than most venues, there are clearly better out there. And Nevermore with muddy inaudible sound (the kind where you can't make out guitar solos or riffs or any vocal lines) would ruin their performance terribly.

The Michael

You are so right. Whatever they hell they do, HOB provides the best sound quality night in/night out. I've yet to find a place to contend with their consistency and top-notch sound. So yes, I would agree that EVERYONE should look into what they do, and copy it.

I have seen Nevermore a total of 4 times, 2 in the Dallas area and 2 in the Kansas City area and all 4 times I was blown away. I think "Born" is a great song to open with. It sets the mood for what Nevermore's music is all about. They are power metal! It sounds to me like Michael is more of a progressive metal fan than a power metal fan. There is a big difference between a band like Rhapsody and a band like Nevermore. For those of you who have not seen Nevermore, get ready to be put on you ass!

As far as the stocking cap goes, who cares! Dane could wear a jock strap on stage and it would matter not, the band is awesome and along with Evergrey on Friday.....WOW:headbang: !

I have seen Nevermore 3 times, and twice they opened with Narcosynthesis. The first two sets were mainly Dead Heart/Enemies with quite a few old classics, and last time was mainly This Godless Endeavor. I'm sure they will have the chance to cover anything and EVERYTHING you could want to see in a Nevermore show. I myself am hoping for more Dreaming Neon Black this time around, but with a Progpower headlining performance with NEVERMORE, I think any set will be perfect :).

I've seen NEVERMORE three times to this point. Always great, except this past Halloween in Philly with OPETH. Warrel Dane a wicked cold and he drank two full piping hot cups of tea during a thirty minute set. He even apologized to us for not being up to par, but he said he doesn't believe in cancelling shows, so the show must go on. how could you respect a guy for that? NEVERMORE fucking rules!!!

Warrel has 'off' nights, and 'on' nights. Let's hope the Saturday of ProgPower is an 'on' night. (On their headlining tour with Opeth immediately preceding them, here in Atlanta he had an 'off' night.)

Having toured with Nevermore I´ve seen them live app. 20 times....and those were headliner gigs (1h+). And I must say they slayed every f***ing night and I´m positive that they will destroy Earthlink and leave everbody going :"WooooW"......
Michael TEOF>> I´m sure they left out the intro because of the short time they had. On the European tour they used an intro every night. So this time I´m sure you´ll get one.
See you all in September.....

Mike
Drums/Mercenary

Status
Not open for further replies.