In Flames kicked my ass!!

Mr. Mojojo

one evil fuckin monkey
Jan 12, 2002
hamilton, ontario, canada
Visit site
Last night I had the honor of seeing the first date of the In Flames/Soilwork/Chimera/Unearth tour in Toronto. We missed Unearth waiting in line. Oh well.

Soilwork came on next, which made no sence to me. They got their point accross quickly considering how long they had to play (45 mins.). Their set consisted of all songs from Natural Born Chaos and Figure #5. I give them a B+ for their set.

Chimera was up next. They put up a respectable set of thrashy/grindcore/new metal songs. I actually enjoyed watching them play. A dominating force on stage, they had the entire venue going ape shit. I give them a A-, not because I liked them better than Soilwork but because of the energy and stage presence they possesed.

Finnally In Flames came on. At first they seemed tired and not really into the music. Then Came "Episode 666" which seemed to wake the band up a bit. By the time "System" hit the entire place including the band where singing along, swining their hair around, freakin out and all in all having the time of their lives. The set was seamless and it felt like it went on forever. A good mix of new and old material, with a few odd balls thrown in for good measure. I have never seen this band, or any band for that matter, rock the way they did last night. I give them an A+++

In flames fuckin rule

The set list: (as far as I can remember)

Cloud Connected
Clayman
Watch Them Feed
Episode 666
Scorn
System
Minus
Bullet Ride
Reroute To Remain
Coerced Coexistance
Clad In Shadows
Drifter
Only For The Weak
Gyroscope
Trigger
Pinball Map
Behind Space
Black And White
Colony

no encore.

Wait Chamaira after Soilwork... oh boy heh
two albums against five and popularity always wins.
I wish that band would have just sticked to the other crowds and kept playing with nu metal bands so they won't interfere with my band getting a slot before IN Flames

That seems a pretty cool setlist. I hope they do something similar at Wacken. There are 7 pre-Clayman songs in there. I think it's a fairly good mix. I'd love to see 'em do Stand Ablaze too, but it ain't happening. I think that's a damn good mix given what they could be doing. Look at what fucking Soilwork are doing! Now THAT is crap.

Mr. Mojojo said:
Soilwork came on next, which made no sence to me. They got their point accross quickly considering how long they had to play (45 mins.). Their set consisted of all songs from Natural Born Chaos and Figure #5.
Blasphemy! No songs from APP or Chainheart?? They should at least play 1 from each album! And In Flames playing 12 songs from the Clayman-Trigger EP era and nothing from The Jester Race? That sucks. I'm interested to see Chimaria live, their new album is pretty good.

Morfiend said:
Blasphemy! No songs from APP or Chainheart?? They should at least play 1 from each album! And In Flames playing 12 songs from the Clayman-Trigger EP era and nothing from The Jester Race? That sucks. I'm interested to see Chimaria live, their new album is pretty good.

do you want to know what the blasphemy here is? It is putting Chimaira(an obvious nu-metal band with a dj) over Soilwork and giving the Soilers less time... This is a shame... I cant believe what Roadrunner has turned into...

commandante said:
do you want to know what the blasphemy here is? It is putting Chimaira(an obvious nu-metal band with a dj) over Soilwork and giving the Soilers less time... This is a shame... I cant believe what Roadrunner has turned into...

I agree, but at least Soilwork got 45 minutes instead of 30. Also, Chimaria's new album doesn't sound much like nu-metal to me. I heard some good reviews of it and d/l'ed it to see what they sound like and it doesn't sound like nu-metal to me. Their older album may sound like that though.

well, I didnt listen to their albums, sorry you can call me everything you want, close-minded or whatever, but there is no way I will give a chance to a band with dj...

i'm lookin forward to seein em...but NOTHING from jester race?? fuck...this will be my first time seeing them, i had hoped they'd at least throw in moonshield!

The only thing that surprised me (pleasantly) was that they played Coerced Coexitence. Very fucking cool live. They played 7 songs from RTR. Honestly, its their new album and I understand that they are promoting it, but why couldn't they play reduce the number to 4 or 5 and play 1 or 2 from TJR and Zombie Inc? They'd still get their point across (promoting RTR).

Soilwork did play Needlefeast thankfully, which not surprisingly was probably the most well accepted song. Not TCM songs though? Stupid, stupid, stupid. I had fun though.