Industrial Metal

Rammstein might not be 100% metal but there are some songs by them that are metal as fuck! Mein teil is an awesome song! Du hast is another awesome song! As far as other industrial metal, I still like some Fear factory, especially Demanufacture. Fucking awesome! I also like Strapping Young lad, Ministry, and of course Rammstein.

i like it because i grew up with it. my dad was in the one industrial metal band called KMFDM.
so botoom line is , yeah i like it

Industrial is a type of electronica.

Also - I give up, if you people choose to be ignorant I can't help you. Willful ignorance is unchangeable.

Industrial is a type of electronica.

Also - I give up, if you people choose to be ignorant I can't help you. Willful ignorance is unchangeable.

:lol:

Srsly, Rammstein isn't just some techno band. There are elements of heavy metal in their music, hence the term industrial-metal. This conversation is impossible if you're just going to ignore or downplay the fact that there's friggin' distorted guitars chugging away in tons of their songs.

Yeah... Ministry's a little too monotonous and audio clip happy for me. "Bloodlines" is a fucking incredible song, though. I wonder if I'll ever hear any industrial metal song as cool as that one.

I gave the Revolting Cocks a listen last week - found them a bit more palatable than Ministry, though still exceedingly random and not-going-anywhere.

I'm not sure why everyone's hating on Rammstein so much. They've made some of the catchiest goddamn metal songs ever.

New Ministry is a lot better, Joey Jordison's Death Metal influenced drumming has given it a harder edge.

Wow.

Heavy guitars don't equal metal. The bands songs are industrial rock, they have more in common with industrial rock bands like KMFDM than any industrial metal I've ever heard, and honestly I've loved industrial rock for a few years before I ever listened to any metal - so I'm fairly certain I'm right here.

Slipknot and Static-X are not metal.

Nu-metal is rock. Not metal.

Rammstein are not metal, they just play heavy dance music, a kind of Dance/Industrial Rock. To me the idea of something like Dance Metal being accepted as Metal while Alternative Metal gets flamed and trashed is a bit pathetic. You will call Rammstein metal but not Slipknot.

Slipknot however are far from fucking rock music, you can dislike them all you want but Nu Metal is an influence on their style, not a dominating part of it. Their scratching/turntables are closest to jungle, which doesn't get used in hip-hop but has its place in a lot of industrial music. The only rock they have anything in common with is Hardcore. Their biggest influence is Morbid Angel style Death Metal. The addition of the industrial style turntables and sampling like the extra drums just blends together to create the militaristic style of brutal, percussive alternative metal they aim for. You dont play fucking rock at 200bpm in Drop A tuning.

As for Static-X, plain old Nu-Metal, Nu-Metal in itself is very borderline between being metal or not, I would call it more rock usually, not always because it was never an accepted term by any of its artists, it does not really have clear boundaries, just very subjective ones.

I am really geting tired of these arguments on this forum.I opened this thread to read about some cool new industrial metal bands/albums but insted I get this long argument.I am really tired from that on the "unmetal" thread.Really,this is the only metal forum I am a part of cuz it has been such source of info for me.But for the last 2 days what the hell is happening?

I am really geting tired of these arguments on this forum.I opened this thread to read about some cool new industrial metal bands/albums but insted I get this long argument.I am really tired from that on the "unmetal" thread.Really,this is the only metal forum I am a part of cuz it has been such source of info for me.But for the last 2 days what the hell is happening?

Eh, I hadn't had a nice, epic internet argument for a while. Sorry if it made the thread a bit unreadable. I think I had/have a pretty good case for my point, and I tried to present it in a mature way.

I have said controversial things like Dance music has no place in metal...

I wasn't pointing that to you.You created this thread cuz you like industrial metal & wanted to chat 'bout it & wanted to know what others think of that(I guess?). I myself checked out this thread for that that too.
Actually I wasn't pointing that to anyone.I am just really sick of these arguments.

I wasn't pointing that to you.You created this thread cuz you like industrial metal & wanted to chat 'bout it & wanted to know what others think of that(I guess?). I myself checked out this thread for that that too.
Actually I wasn't pointing that to anyone.I am just really sick of these arguments.

Yeah, I understand, I just posted in my original thread that Rammstein isn't metal in a rather blunt statement :D

:lol:

Srsly, Rammstein isn't just some techno band. There are elements of heavy metal in their music, hence the term industrial-metal.
I am beginning to think you know absolutely nothing about, and probably do not listen to, industrial music.

This conversation is impossible if you're just going to ignore or downplay the fact that there's friggin' distorted guitars chugging away in tons of their songs.
Distorted guitars, chugging or not, are not elements unique to metal. They were elements of industrial, rock, etc. before Rammstein ever came along.

Respond to my other points if you are still willing/able.

You're right that I haven't listened to much industrial music. I was under the impression that it was more electronic based than rock based. Since you claim that Rammstein sounds exactly like Laibach, and since I haven't listened to much of Laibach, I guess I'll get back to you once I've downloaded a few of their albums.

You're right that I haven't listened to much industrial music. I was under the impression that it was more electronic based than rock based. Since you claim that Rammstein sounds exactly like Laibach, and since I haven't listened to much of Laibach, I guess I'll get back to you once I've downloaded a few of their albums.
Be sure to get Opus Dei, many songs on it could easily be confused for lost Rammstein tracks. Check out early Einstürzende Neubauten (s/a Kollaps) while you're at it. Early Whitehouse, Genocide Organ, OOMPH! and D.A.F. (awesome video) may also be relevant.

You're flat out wrong. His argument has no such implication.
The argument reaches the conclusion that "a band does not have to have metal influences in order to be metal" based on analyzing the influences of the original metal band. Clearly this is not a typical case, as most metal bands are not the original metal band (only one is, actually). Claiming, as the conclusion to his argument does, that no metal influence is required to be considered a metal band creates a definition with no practical boundary. The example of Mr. Nelson, though hyperbolic for dramatic effect, illustrates this flaw in his logic fairly, I think.

A better example of an industrial (using the term broadly) band with metal influence than Rammstein would perhaps be Atari Teenage Riot. Though clearly not a metal band, we can detect a certain mid-era Slayer influence in a few of their songs:

Industrial metal they are not; industrial with a metal influence maybe. This is a useful distinction to make, more useful than tossing everything with distorted guitars into the metal category.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with the above poster completely, I am also sure Rammstein wont take offence to you not classifying them as Metal and you wont find a huge fanbase for the band amongst those that only like metal.