Influential Albums - make a list

Can I be Noel Redding? No wait, he's dead. Wait... so is Hendrix... and you're Hendrix, so maybe I could be the reincarnated Noel Redding... except he just recently died so that would make me 6 months old... I'll work on that this weekend.

I think...that these sort of discussions are fun.

for beginning to bring hard rock out of the blues towards a heavier sound:

Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland

Cream - Disreali Gears

Jeff Beck Group (first album)

Deep Purple - Machine Head

obviously, Sabbath.

--------------------------------

In the Nightside Eclipse

Death

Motorhead

Accept - (which brings up a good question, was Fast Like a Shark the first speed metal)

Scorpions (as lame as they got, for a good few years they exemplified eurometal, and must have been the real role models for so many German rockers)

URRRGH

Let's settle this once and for all, shall we?

THE ALBUM IS CALLED "KVELDSSANGER"

The character some people thinks is a "j" is an "s" in old German fraktur style. Look here:

FrakturTYB2.jpg

And that is that. I believe they used the different s where two consecutive s characters do not belong to the same word. Otherwise, that'd be a ß in German. I could be dead fucking wrong on why they use it, though, but it IS an s.

Black Sabbath - Paranoid. Still remember my uncle giving me this album at the tender age of 10...I was warped! I mean how many kids bring a Sabbath record to show and tell and have them play Iron Man to the class? :)

Jethro Tull - Aqualung - My uncle when he came to the states (he was born in Greece) was corupted by an American girl and rock n roll! :) To this day I can't go too long without busting out the flute maestro!!!

Marillion - Clutching at Straws - This album is perfection in every aspect and it has some of the best lyrics...possibly THE BEST lyrics I have ever heard! Besides there is some emotional value attached to this.

Dream Theater - Images and Words - I can't think of anything recent that has made my jaw drop since the day I picked up this album...it still kicks my ass!

Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes - I first heard this hanging out with a friend of mine and we were listening to it in her car. I looked over at her and she was crying...She said something like "Tony, she is describing my life in her songs" I then realized what powerful lyrics and emotion radiated from this album. AMAZING!

Yngwie Malmsteen - Rising Force - I haven't been able to get into Mr. Malmsteen in a long ass time, still to this day the album has to rank as one of the best ever instrumental albums that kicked off a whole new genre and the meaning of neo-classical guitar. He was original and you have to give him credit for that!

Rainbow - Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow - Although this might not be my favorite (Long Live Rock n Roll) it introduced me to one of the greatest vocalist ever in Metal. If you don't know who that is, you have no reason in existing in this forum! :)

Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell - Not many bands can come up with two albums that are grounbreaking material...Sabbath is a rare case! They are THE MASTERS!

Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast - Once again not my favorite album and I was fairly into the previous two albums but hearing Bruce Dickinson for the first time was like WOW! I know he sang with Samson before but it was with Iron Maiden that kick started his Lordship! ;)

Pink Floyd - Wish you were Here - So much great stuff to come out of the minds of Barret and Waters but this album just flored me. Although I think The Wall or Dark Side of the Moon is what Pink Floyd will be known for, for me this album is it!

Rush - 2112 - How can you not have a Rush album?!? How many progressive rock bands owe their soul to the Canadian Trio? I am willing to bet a lot! Take off...AYE! ;)

Queensryche - Rage for Order - Is this fucken album amazing or what? Don't answer that if you're stupid! :)

I can write this forever but let me stop here or I might just need to open up a new board! Cheers, Tony

JayKeeley said:
Just to elaborate on BWD, although very obviously inspired themselves by bands like Iron Maiden and Dio, this album pretty much started power metal as we know it today - and I quote Ayeka, "Heavy metal with high pitched vocals". :)
Awwwww, I'm flattered! :D