Introduce a band most-a-like Katatonia from your home country

This thread dropped the ball between posts 4 or 5. C'mon. My point was that people would show off some songs from other bands very similar to Katatonia (a part of a song?, chorus?, effects?, singing?) And you cant all be from usa! Finland is a metal paradise nowadays, even Mikael Åkerfeldt said so two weeks ago when I was on their gig. We have enormous amounts of different bands, so I figured the same situation must be in some other country too, which lead to the conclusion that I must hear from them!

Im from finland too but although I find Sara pretty interesting band, I've never listened to it but now when I too I really like it and maybe I should buy a record too. Really good and melancholic

I'm from America and I wouldn't say there is a definitive place that rocks out with the best bands, or well at least for me it's a tie between America, England and Sweden, but BlueSky is wrong in saying that we (america) started it all.......Buddy Holly and Elvis don't count. Britain had all the originators, and for me, truely psychadellic and progressive music started with bands like Pink Floyd and King Crimson.

Anyone check out these bands. No one ever does, but these two american bands (that are broke up now) are easily in my top 10 bands.

Failure [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER1vIkvWDs8&feature=PlayList&p=7B974BDA200C4EB7&playnext=1&index=19[/ame]

HUM

i seriously think everyone should buy HUM's "you'd prefer an astronaut" Cd and Failure's "Fantastic Planet" great spacey stuff.

here's a band from Portugal that i've been listening to a lot lately.

Saturnia

Last edited by a moderator:
The glory days of rock n roll do count. Also you're wrong in saying Britain had ALL the originators, but it's true that both western nations have been leading the way post glory days. You also have to take into consideration that they're both large nations with really strong economies in comparison to the rest of the world. Both are also melting pots for different cultures, which is also another reason why you get such great innovation. I wouldn't argue if you said either nation has the largest amount of innovative music making it out into the world in the modern age.

Of course, strong economic stability does allow for these things. Yeah, i'm it's pretty much the western world, not argument there, and the US did have Hendrix, the who, the doors, and many more. Just out of all those bands from that era, I personally prefer europe/uk mostly, just because of Pink Floyd, i mean i like the doors and hendrix, but Floyd is the best band ever in my opinion. I don't even care for Zepplin or Sabbath that much, just not into the style *shrugs*

Blazing Eternity - Old Katatonia sound
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBKDpjXW5FY&feature=related[/ame]

Blazing Eternity - Clean vocals Katatonia sound
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7c2jFKt9-c&feature=related[/ame]

Saturnus - Murky waters...not really a Katatonia sounding band...but the music in this this song does have some Katatonia in it

Last edited by a moderator:
Lastly I'm not even going to argue. Since the good ol' rock n' roll days we have been leading the way. The only other nation that comes close is England bucko. Fact.

Most of my favorite acts are American or English, but what's with that attitude. Its not like it is a battle. "We have been leading the way". I usually don't refer to bands of the swedish music-scene as "WE".

It wasn't my intent to get all gung ho. I used "we" simply because haunted is also American, which means he too is a part of the culture. Mainly I'm just giving credit where credits due that's all.

Americans (which are mostly made up of European varieties for the white people, and other races of various nations) have brought forth many great acts through the last 50 years. But we all live on the same piece of land with some big puddles of water "dividing" continents.

It's noteable that Finland is producing many great melodic metal acts these days though. Sweden has rocked heavy for a long time, producing some of my favorite acts of all time! Norway has too in the extreme metal department. Germany does great with the Electronic stuff (whether heavy or not). America is leading with the Pop and Hip Hop commercial stuff (my apologies about some of this stuff people!), but still has many legendary rock/metal bands that have influenced many around the world. Italy has left a strong mark on the world with Opera. Denmark with "Aqua"! heheh. On and on it goes.

Some of us look, act, behave, and talk different depending on what tribe and location we live on this one big land mass called earth. Some tribes are more skilled at different things than others. We're all equal in some ways and not in others.

Saying this, the European Tribes which probably includes 90% or more of all of us on this forum (whether born/transferred to North America/Australia/New Zealand/South Africa etc.. or born and still living in Europe), have produced an INCREDIBLE volume of great music! I'm not discounting other darker skinned tribes of the world by saying this though, as there are also some legends among them too.

My Sermon for the day. :saint:

I'm from America and I wouldn't say there is a definitive place that rocks out with the best bands, or well at least for me it's a tie between America, England and Sweden, but BlueSky is wrong in saying that we (america) started it all.......Buddy Holly and Elvis don't count. Britain had all the originators, and for me, truely psychadellic and progressive music started with bands like Pink Floyd and King Crimson.

Anyone check out these bands. No one ever does, but these two american bands (that are broke up now) are easily in my top 10 bands.

Failure http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER1vIkvWDs8&feature=PlayList&p=7B974BDA200C4EB7&playnext=1&index=19

HUM http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPtDuXNQfgc

i seriously think everyone should buy HUM's "you'd prefer an astronaut" Cd and Failure's "Fantastic Planet" great spacey stuff.

here's a band from Portugal that i've been listening to a lot lately.

Saturnia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUGw5IYt0io

Dude, I love this post!
Great bands I've never heard of before

failure does deserve more recognition, but never really got into HUM for some reason. Saturnia is also worth checking out, so yeah that was a really good post

I'm just glad you guys actually checked those three bands out, Saturnia is great, hard band to come by though. I only have one of their cd's, Muzik, which is their newest one, but you can check out more of their songs on youtube and myspace.

Er, from what my eyes and the Firefox search tool can tell... Anathema haven't been mentioned.